DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Compass /GPS Calibration Problems -Fixed?

Put it this way:
First part of compass calibration is on the yaw axis with AC in normal flight position.
Second part of calibration is in roll axis with AC pointed up as if it were a rocket. Pointing down should also be OK.

Some do the rotations by spinning themselves with the AC held out in their arms. That's not the best approach.
Interesting. The picture in Go4 shows the mavic first ‘flat’ then on its side. NOT pointing up or down. But the text says ‘vertical’. Which implies up or down Like you say! Is the picture wrong?

Put it this way:
First part of compass calibration is on the yaw axis with AC in normal flight position.
Second part of calibration is in roll axis with AC pointed up as if it were a rocket. Pointing down should also be OK.

Some do the rotations by spinning themselves with the AC held out in their arms. That's not the best approach.
Yep, YouTube guys also does it ‘flat’ then ‘sideways’ like the picture shows. Not pointing camera up or down...

Put it this way:

And here (newest Spark version for stage two)7EFD0708-227E-41B3-92C4-AB1331B1862A.png

My mavic has always been pretty darn accurate on Ruth landings even through all the updating that used to be all the time.. glad your fixed man.

Put it this way:

Not "best" approach why? If it comes down to your personal preference as the consideration that is irrelevant.

Not "best" approach why? If it comes down to your personal preference as the consideration that is irrelevant.

The disadvantage of rotating while holding the aircraft at arms length is that the magnetometers are not simply rotating in the external field - they are also translating. If the external field is uniform then that won't matter, but it introduces the risk of varying the external field that the calibration algorithm assumes to be constant.

Reactions: WithTheBirds
The disadvantage of rotating while holding the aircraft at arms length is that the magnetometers are not simply rotating in the external field - they are also translating. If the external field is uniform then that won't matter, but it introduces the risk of varying the external field that the calibration algorithm assumes to be constant.
We should expect a reasonably uniform field if the calibration is performed in an appropriate location though shouldn’t we? At least good enough to allow for any contribution of ferromagnetic components forming part of the drone. That is, as I understand it, the intent of calibration. I have experienced the effect of calibrating in a poor environment (over reinforced concrete cricket pitch being one example) and expect both methods may have had similar, if not identical, outcomes.

We should expect a reasonably uniform field if the calibration is performed in an appropriate location though shouldn’t we? At least good enough to allow for any contribution of ferromagnetic components forming part of the drone. That is, as I understand it, the intent of calibration. I have experienced the effect of calibrating in a poor environment (over reinforced concrete cricket pitch being one example) and expect both methods may have had similar, if not identical, outcomes.

Yes - in most locations it should make no difference at all.

T
Yes - in most locations it should make no difference at all.
Thanks SAR. That’s is simply my point.

I have come a long way from when I believed calibration needed to be performed before every flight and then when travelling to allow for changes in magnetic north position.

For practical purposes what ever personal preference people may have as to how they perform the chicken dance is irrelevant. If there is a localised corruption in the natural magnetic field where you choose to calibrate you will potentially have problems regardless of method.

Reactions: sar104
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+