DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Crash

Ah, too bad. If you happen to find it, please post it here. It would be interesting to see the missing flight details.

when it comes to calibrating the compass it sounds to be like you basically have to be in the middle of nowhere...would a football field work...what is the distance away from metals and those sorts of things that you need to be away

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

what is the distance away from metals and those sorts of things that you need to be away
10+ feet away is sufficient in most cases.

when it comes to calibrating the compass it sounds to be like you basically have to be in the middle of nowhere...would a football field work...what is the distance away from metals and those sorts of things that you need to be away

A football field is fine... even a backyard is fine. You just don't want to be in close proximity to large amounts of metal.

I just found this link. I'm the pilot of the drone that crashed. First I'd like to say that my original video showed me testing the craft after I repaired the craft. UAS safety is extremely important and I was not thinking in the right mind last night. What I did was not right. I'll be mindful of this in the future.

Ok.. so just signed up on this forum and I'll try to answer a few questions that may not be answered.

I did do a firmware update before my first flight on 10-25. It updated the controller as well as the Mavic Pro

Current versions
App Version 3.0.1
Aircraft Version 01.02.0810
Remote Controller Version 01.02.0810

This was an update that showed up on my phone and it asked to update. I let it update and it came back successful.

Before I flew, I did do a compass calibration. In terms of proximity to things, my car was about 10-12 feet away. My controller was on the ground and the Mavic pro was about 4.5 feet or so off the ground. I am used to doing compass calibrations with my Inspire 1 so performing the operation on the Mavic wasn't anything new.

I was trying different modes to check out the new advertised features. I was able to do the gesture mode to take a picture and so forth. Next I tried "Tap to Fly". I tapped the screen and the Mavic Pro moved in the direction to where I tapped. However it indicated that the altitude was dropping. So I immediately cancelled that mode. Next I hit the return to home button on the remote. This is where things looked strange on it's path back. It positioned itself about 15-20 feet (estimated) from where it took off and it started it's descent. That's when I noticed that the descent spin was worse than the arc that it took to get to it's landing position. The video will show that it's lowering using RTH and spinning. During that process I tried to cancel it but the sticks would not work. So I put it in descent mode. A lot happens in such a short amount of time.

The drone body looks ok with a minor scratch mark on the top portion of the battery. 2 of the blades broke. The gimbal was ever so slightly bent up preventing it from initializing. I carefully moved the gimbal back to it's proper position and the craft initializes fine now. I checked the status on the DJI Go app and everything seems normal. I'm waiting for replacement props to come in but I think the Mavic Pro itself is ok now. I may wait for DJI to look at my DAT file that I just sent them via drop box. Perhaps it was something I didn't do? Could be user error... but figured I'd report it before more crashes occur.

Reactions: TommyGun
A football field is fine... even a backyard is fine. You just don't want to be in close proximity to large amounts of metal.

i think to be on the safe side ill use a football field...it's not my first drone i have racers but it's the first one i've needed to calibrate a compass and imu and stuff like that...not having a switch for atti kind of sucks...im wondering if some sort of firmware update could add that i don't know...i know i'm plenty capable to control it manually without gps or anything since i've used racers which has no type of automated control

The K-index has never negatively affected DJI aircraft.

I've never seen DJI mention that topic. If it was a problem, we'd routinely see hundreds of DJI aircraft dropping out of the sky on the same day each time the K-index was high.

So there is the button C5 on the top of the controller. When you push it up, it turns the camera up, and down for down... if you click the button, you can select OPTI mode, which is basically ATTI mode. I think... it acts like ATTI mode.

So it does have it, it's just not a switch... it's a button.

A bad spot being the car park - because that would mean near cars and other large metal objects, correct?
Correct, just because you can't see the steel the concrete is full of rebar and steel reinforcement beams, this affected your comapss causing the classic TBE. Not having my Mavic yet I have not had a chance to practice emergency recovery procedures. With my P3 I would just have switched to ATTI and flown back and landed to find another spot to fly in. I am not sure how the bird would react to the 'Pause' button in this case. I REALLY hope DJI adds a manual ATTI mode as I practiced flying in this mode a lot, just for situations like this.

So there is the button C5 on the top of the controller. When you push it up, it turns the camera up, and down for down... if you click the button, you can select OPTI mode, which is basically ATTI mode. I think... it acts like ATTI mode.

So it does have it, it's just not a switch... it's a button.

IF I ever get my Mavic I will try that, manual ATTI needs to be an easy and fast access due to the need for it NOW. Does the OPTI button just turn off the avoidance system so you can get closer to what your filming or does it let the bird drift with the wind.

29 seconds: Return to home. I notice it's drifting
1 min 3 seconds: Landing is initiated
1 min 12 seconds: I notice it's arcing out on a landing operation so I stop it.
1 min 45 seconds: It's over an area where it can land so I initiate another landing operation. However it spins even faster than before.
2 min 5 seconds: I cancel the land because it just looks out of control.
I try cancelling it at the last moment but it's too late.

Watching the playback seems slow, but when you're looking at the craft and the screen at the same time for telemetry info, it happens so fast.

Reactions: Scott
is it pretty much essential to calibrate the compass and imu before you fly the mavic for the first time...and how often should you have to do the both of those

I just found this link. I'm the pilot of the drone that crashed. First I'd like to say that my original video showed me testing the craft after I repaired the craft. UAS safety is extremely important and I was not thinking in the right mind last night. What I did was not right. I'll be mindful of this in the future.

Ok.. so just signed up on this forum and I'll try to answer a few questions that may not be answered.

I did do a firmware update before my first flight on 10-25. It updated the controller as well as the Mavic Pro

Current versions
App Version 3.0.1
Aircraft Version 01.02.0810
Remote Controller Version 01.02.0810

This was an update that showed up on my phone and it asked to update. I let it update and it came back successful.

Before I flew, I did do a compass calibration. In terms of proximity to things, my car was about 10-12 feet away. My controller was on the ground and the Mavic pro was about 4.5 feet or so off the ground. I am used to doing compass calibrations with my Inspire 1 so performing the operation on the Mavic wasn't anything new.

I was trying different modes to check out the new advertised features. I was able to do the gesture mode to take a picture and so forth. Next I tried "Tap to Fly". I tapped the screen and the Mavic Pro moved in the direction to where I tapped. However it indicated that the altitude was dropping. So I immediately cancelled that mode. Next I hit the return to home button on the remote. This is where things looked strange on it's path back. It positioned itself about 15-20 feet (estimated) from where it took off and it started it's descent. That's when I noticed that the descent spin was worse than the arc that it took to get to it's landing position. The video will show that it's lowering using RTH and spinning. During that process I tried to cancel it but the sticks would not work. So I put it in descent mode. A lot happens in such a short amount of time.

The drone body looks ok with a minor scratch mark on the top portion of the battery. 2 of the blades broke. The gimbal was ever so slightly bent up preventing it from initializing. I carefully moved the gimbal back to it's proper position and the craft initializes fine now. I checked the status on the DJI Go app and everything seems normal. I'm waiting for replacement props to come in but I think the Mavic Pro itself is ok now. I may wait for DJI to look at my DAT file that I just sent them via drop box. Perhaps it was something I didn't do? Could be user error... but figured I'd report it before more crashes occur.

Hello and welcome. I guess my link in your comments worked :)

It would be helpful if you would upload your TXT flight log here and post a link back here.

Be sure to do this.

Seems like DJI took care of you promptly. I'm thinking more and more about the DJI care for my Mavic.

Hello and welcome. I guess my link in your comments worked :)

Be sure to do this.

Seems like DJI took care of you promptly. I'm thinking more and more about the DJI care for my Mavic.

Hello, thanks for forwarding me to this web forum from my YouTube page. I have only been on the DJI forums. I do hope that they can resolve the issue. DJI Care Refresh was $99 and you have 2 crash replacments. Each time you crash, you pay a deductible. So if they replace my Mavic (which I don't think they need to anymore), I'd have to pay $75 to get a new one. Hopefully this gets ruled as a warranty issue as opposed to having to use my DJI Care Refresh credit that I paid $99 for. So far DJI has been pretty responsive to what has happened through the forums. I've sent them my DAT files from the drone already. Their engineers are looking at it.

My Phantom manual states that metal objects should be al least 50 cm / 20 inches away during compass calibration.

is it pretty much essential to calibrate the compass and imu before you fly the mavic for the first time...and how often should you have to do the both of those

You should quit telling people this. According to DJI and the manual you're misleading them.

It clearly states not to calibrate the IMU.

Unless it asks you too!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada