DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Crash

Chris_Toronto

Reactions
Any ideas of what may have caused this?

This video has made me start thinking about coughing up the $99 for the care package.

Cough up 60 dollars a year for State Farm insurance on just the Mavic Pro. DJI Care Refresh does not cover water damage so if you crash into water your hosed. Also its 99 dollar to sign up for Care Refresh , but 79 dollars for the first replacement and 129 for the second. So its actually 99 dollars PLUS 79 dollars.

State Farm insures everything including water damage and more importantly theft. Call DJI about your Mavic being stolen and see what they tell you. :)

The Pilot in the video did not indicate if he did the latest firmware flash or if it was done by DJI before he reeived it. The firmware was put in place to help solve a GPS issue as well as taking off from an inside location and the flying outside. He also does not indicate if he calibrated the IMU when the Mavic was cold and also the compass before flight. Lots of factors that could have negatively effected his flight.

Not sure about the controller issue. Not comforting...

On the RTH failure, Question: Did you wait for full GPS lock and "home point has been recorded" before you took off?

Any ideas of what may have caused this?

This video has made me start thinking about coughing up the $99 for the care package.

If it's circling it cold be due to the toilet bowl effect: compass error.
Too many factors that could affect the drone. Imu failure, compass error, surrounding interference, or plainly just the Mavic failing.

Reactions: BD0G
Cough up 60 dollars a year for State Farm insurance on just the Mavic Pro. DJI Care Refresh does not cover water damage so if you crash into water your hosed. Also its 99 dollar to sign up for Care Refresh , but 79 dollars for the first replacement and 129 for the second. So its actually 99 dollars PLUS 79 dollars.

State Farm insures everything including water damage and more importantly theft. Call DJI about your Mavic being stolen and see what they tell you. :)

The Pilot in the video did not indicate if he did the latest firmware flash or if it was done by DJI before he reeived it. The firmware was put in place to help solve a GPS issue as well as taking off from an inside location and the flying outside. He also does not indicate if he calibrated the IMU when the Mavic was cold and also the compass before flight. Lots of factors that could have negatively effected his flight.
Can you please provide details on how to get this insurance. Is it an add on to your homeowners. Do they sell it a la carte? Do you have a link? Product name?

Thanks!

guys, let's assume for a moment that everything from Mavic's side was good (compass , IMU , etc).

If you find yourself in a situation like this, having the craft making circles, how an experienced pilot would react to overcome the problem?

question from a newbie :)

Considering how the pilot had not exercised enough due diligence to at least have a clue about focusing the camera for the initial test footage, it is also very likely that the same neglect was rampant in the pre-flight preparation and setup of the drone and controller, which may have resulted in crashing the 1-day old Mavic. He certainly just beat Casey Neistat's recent Mavic record of days to crash one.

Reactions: whareable
IMO...I think the pilot/owner was well knowledgeable and certainly seems to be a "techie" type guy judging by all the equipment in the background.

As I said in a previous post - a lot of Mavics are only going to last 24/48 hours! :rolleyes:

With dual compass on board this would appear to be classic TBE. I would hazard a guess that this user calibrated the compass where he was flying/taking off from which appeared to be a car park! There's the problem.

Slightly more concerning is the fact that the user clearly had no experience or familiarisation with the platform or built up a trust in reliability (only day two) and yet was quite happy to fly it over a busy road.
Unfortunately this is going to be the norm I fear with inexperienced operators and this particular platform.

So much for it being super reliable due to DJI putting 2 of everything (sensors, etc) on board... I've heard people saying upgrade the firmware as soon as you get it because there is an issue with the older one that they tend to come with...

As I said in a previous post - a lot of Mavics are only going to last 24/48 hours! :rolleyes:

With dual compass on board this would appear to be classic TBE. I would hazard a guess that this user calibrated the compass where he was flying/taking off from which appeared to be a car park! There's the problem.

Slightly more concerning is the fact that the user clearly had no experience or familiarisation with the platform or built up a trust in reliability (only day two) and yet was quite happy to fly it over a busy road.
Unfortunately this is going to be the norm I fear with inexperienced operators and this particular platform.

Call me whatever but please could you tell me what he SHOULD have done?

So much for it being super reliable due to DJI putting 2 of everything (sensors, etc) on board... I've heard people saying upgrade the firmware as soon as you get it because there is an issue with the older one that they tend to come with...
I would be very surprised if this was aircraft/system failure - more like user inexperience and calibrating compass at a bad spot.

I would be very surprised if this was aircraft/system failure - more like user inexperience and calibrating compass at a bad spot.
A bad spot being the car park - because that would mean near cars and other large metal objects, correct?

Call me whatever but please could you tell me what he SHOULD have done?
Firstly, he should have never compass calibrated standing on a car park - they are full of heavy rebar and seriously skew compass due to the flux distortion - he may have even calibrated standing next to his car.... another no no.
Compass calibration should be done well away from ANY metallic (ferrous) items which can affect the module/baseline flux values. Once you have a good calibration.....LEAVE IT ALONE!
Secondly, he should have checked the mod values for both the IMU and the compass via the sensor screen - this should be part of a pre flight checklist in all cases.
Thirdly, he should have thoroughly familiarised himself with the platform and flying characteristics in a place well away from built up areas, traffic, buildings, cars etc.
He had no flying hours on the aircraft and therefore could not possibly know how the platform performed on a longer endurance flight or had an opportunity to check motor temps (in case one was binding) upon landing - he simply popped it in the air on day two and flew over a freeway!

He should have switched it to Sport Mode and the RTH would have stopped. He had a signal as he said he cancelled RTH once and then resumed.

He should have cancelled the RTH, took control and then landed safely.

This is more than likely user error

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: Cookedinlh
He should have switched it to Sport Mode and the RTH would have stopped. He had a signal as he said he cancelled RTH once and then resumed.

He should have cancelled the RTH, took control and then landed safely.

This is more than likely user error

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
If this was indeed a compass error (spiral movement), Sport mode wouldn't help because it is also GPS-guided, isn't it?

Reactions: Cookedinlh
I was also thinking about manual mode which you currently can't activate it by yourself.

Do you think that in situations like bad compass calibration, if an ATTI (manual) mode was available could be enough to control it and bring it safely back?

PS: I have read somewhere that request for manual mode has been requested to DJI
Mavic ATTI mode confusion

Reactions: John W

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Myofb89