DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic decided to take itself off.

Treyjax

Reactions
Finally got my Mavic Pro, and love it, had a small crash that was totally my fault, no damage.

Then on my first full day of using it, I’m flying over a river, and my app says I’ve lost gps, the RTH point apparently wasn’t set. As pushing the button says no RTH point (in the log it does show as set). and the drone just decides to go off on a jolly.

It eventually gets a lock again and I can bring it back safely. I’m still perplexed as to why it shot off, as it clearly wasn’t going to a RTH point

In the flight log it tells me - compass error exit p-gps mode

Followed a second later by - inflight, Working IMU encounters heading exception, please switch to atti mode if craft behave abnormally

5 seconds later I get weak gps signal.

Is this user error? Has anyone encountered this before?

Last edited:
Finally got my Mavic Pro, and love it, had a small crash that was totally my fault, no damage.

Then on my first full day of using it, I’m flying over a river, and my app says I’ve lost gps, the RTH point apparently wasn’t set. As pushing the button says no RTH point (in the log it does show as set). and the drone just decides to go off on a jolly.

It eventually gets a lock again and I can bring it back safely. I’m still perplexed as to why it shot off, as it clearly wasn’t going to a RTH point

Followed a second later by - inflight, Working IMU encounters heading exception, please switch to atti mode if craft behave abnormally

it mightve got thrown into Atti mode once it lost GPS, atti mode let it be at the whim of whatever winds there were possibly

Is this user error?
Check out your TXT flight log to see if it explains what happened. You can upload and view it online here. If you'd like other people to review and comment on your flight log, then please post a link back here after you upload it.

The Mavic usually does not loose GPS receiption outdoors, as there are enough satellites around, both GPS and GLONASS.
This message is misleading, as it just means that the Mavic is no longer able for navigating with GPS due to a misleading compass. And you have seen the compass error, too.
Have you ever calibrated your compass? Or was your Mavic near some strong magnetic field before?
In such situations you can do some compass "emergency calibration" by just rotating the Mavic a few times by 360°. Then GPS mode should kick in again.

Check out your TXT flight log to see if it explains what happened. You can upload and view it online here. If you'd like other people to review and comment on your flight log, then please post a link back here after you upload it.
thanks, i read up and have the log now.

will post link.

Last edited:
Please post the TXT flight log. It contains more information than the CSV.

Hi, i think the cause of the errors you've got is that you had crushed your mavic before and then some features in your mavic didn't work properly.

Hi, i think the cause of the errors you've got is that you had crushed your mavic before and then some features in your mavic didn't work properly.

It worked on every other flight I’ve used it on, and I’ve yet to replicate the error.

The crash was simply me landing it too close to a fence post, the back prop got caught. It wasn’t a big drop or impact.

When no GPS is available it obviously can't RTH since it needs GPS for that...

It switched to ATTI and needed YOU to take control of it and bring it back.

Even that smaller crash would still need you to calibrate the Mavic ITs a Crash it has knock on effects on the GPS and Flight sensor need re calibrating .
I did see on the software asked you to go into ATTI but you can not do that on a Mavic unless you have seen the Video On YouTube where a Mavic Pilot ,
wrapped his Mavic Pro in Aluminium Foil to trick the Drone into ATTI operation But I can not see any one with any seance doing such a thing

OR

AS Your Fight Log Showed At 0m.04s of the Flight the Warning " The aircraft is in a Warning Zone (Class D). Fly with caution here. " In Fact in the UK is a DO NOT NOT FLY ZONE "

AGAIN .In Fact in the UK is a DON NOT FLY ZONE Your only feet any from the Public and Buildings Flying Over and Under a through The Gateshead Millennium Bridge not to mention the other building you thought was safe to go around a Lose site of your Air Craft as your fight Plan recorded ever second . of you high flying event that brought you to here, You even Fly within feet of the HILLGATE Helicopter landing ZONE .

I am investing thousands Buying my Mavic Pro Platinum Fly More Combo and If People Like yourself just Fly like this I will never get to Fly it as the People In High Places Will BAN US

OR YOU

IF THEY SHOULD SEE YOUR FLIGHT LOG .

Chill out dude before you have a stroke!

Even that smaller crash would still need you to calibrate the Mavic ITs a Crash it has knock on effects on the GPS and Flight sensor need re calibrating .
I did see on the software asked you to go into ATTI but you can not do that on a Mavic unless you have seen the Video On YouTube where a Mavic Pilot ,
wrapped his Mavic Pro in Aluminium Foil to trick the Drone into ATTI operation But I can not see any one with any seance doing such a thing

OR

AS Your Fight Log Showed At 0m.04s of the Flight the Warning " The aircraft is in a Warning Zone (Class D). Fly with caution here. " In Fact in the UK is a DO NOT NOT FLY ZONE "

AGAIN .In Fact in the UK is a DON NOT FLY ZONE Your only feet any from the Public and Buildings Flying Over and Under a through The Gateshead Millennium Bridge not to mention the other building you thought was safe to go around a Lose site of your Air Craft as your fight Plan recorded ever second . of you high flying event that brought you to here, You even Fly within feet of the HILLGATE Helicopter landing ZONE .

I am investing thousands Buying my Mavic Pro Platinum Fly More Combo and If People Like yourself just Fly like this I will never get to Fly it as the People In High Places Will BAN US

OR YOU

IF THEY SHOULD SEE YOUR FLIGHT LOG .

ah that didn’t take long... I came in genuinely asking for help, and here come the righteous a**eholes and for the record... you are wrong.

At no point did the drone leave my sight, and then it took off in ATTI mode where it was unresponsive and drifted in the wind.

If you can’t help with the problem at hand, go and start your own thread, and learn to relax you’ll live long enough to take delivery of your drone

Last edited:

I looked at this flight some. The incident happened because the Flight Controller didn't like the expected Yaw vs Yaw derived from the magnetometers. There have been many incidents caused by this. It's not a user error. And, there is no evidence of any kind of an airspace problem - this would have been evident in the eventLog stream.

At 417.882 the difference Yaw/magYaw separation is noted in the eventLog stream

417.882 : 27543 [L-FDI]ns req:fdi,0to0,reason:fusion.gps_yaw_err,result:fail for same index

A few seconds later gpsHealth is set to 0 which then causes the switch from GPS+ATTI to ATTI (pink area in plot below). There is nothing wrong with the GPS (plots not shown) - this is just a "trick" used by the FC to cause a switch to ATTI.
upload_2017-11-11_6-19-40.png

I can see this is a new Mavic. Has the compass been calibrated? I know that it's commonly believed that there is no need to calibrate unless the Go App instructs to do so. I used to believe this but have seen evidence to the contrary. The reason I asked about the compass calibration is that the Yaw/magYaw separation in the front compass is much worse.
upload_2017-11-11_6-26-14.png

I looked at this flight some. The incident happened because the Flight Controller didn't like the expected Yaw vs Yaw derived from the magnetometers. There have been many incidents caused by this. It's not a user error. And, there is no evidence of any kind of an airspace problem - this would have been evident in the eventLog stream.

At 417.882 the difference Yaw/magYaw separation is noted in the eventLog stream

417.882 : 27543 [L-FDI]ns req:fdi,0to0,reason:fusion.gps_yaw_err,result:fail for same index

A few seconds later gpsHealth is set to 0 which then causes the switch from GPS+ATTI to ATTI (pink area in plot below). There is nothing wrong with the GPS (plots not shown) - this is just a "trick" used by the FC to cause a switch to ATTI.
View attachment 24664

I can see this is a new Mavic. Has the compass been calibrated? I know that it's commonly believed that there is no need to calibrate unless the Go App instructs to do so. I used to believe this but have seen evidence to the contrary. The reason I asked about the compass calibration is that the Yaw/magYaw separation in the front compass is much worse.
View attachment 24665

Thanks for that, no I didn’t recalibrate the compass, with what seemed to be common consensus telling me not to.

I see what you mean though, and can’t see the harm in doing it now.

Thanks for the help, it’s much appreciated

Thanks for that, no I didn’t recalibrate the compass, with what seemed to be common consensus telling me not to.

I see what you mean though, and can’t see the harm in doing it now.

Thanks for the help, it’s much appreciated
Before you calibrate could you provide some additional data for us incident geeks? After launch rise to about 10 meters, do three rotations at about 5 or 10 secs per rotation. Then land and do the compass calibration. Launch and do the 3 rotations again. This test will allow us to see the effects of the compass calibration.

Before you calibrate could you provide some additional data for us incident geeks? After launch rise to about 10 meters, do three rotations at about 5 or 10 secs per rotation. Then land and do the compass calibration. Launch and do the 3 rotations again. This test will allow us to see the effects of the compass calibration.
With pleasure.

DAT file will be uploaded tomorrow night

Reactions: f3honda4me
Following

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki