DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic dual remotes

I kind of agree. This feels more like a master slave RC combination. Thats fine for RC planes were you can plug yours into the other guys unit and help him out, but this is a Mavic and I just don't think that it is complicated enough to fly that anyone would need help or even want it. The idea of the person operating the craft having a slave pilot for filming is ridiculous because as you said it only has one camera.

IMHO what would have been better is just a black box with antennas that allowed a second person to tap into the Ocusync and watch the flight. My friends and wife would be more eager to go on flight outings if they could actually participate and be able to see what I am seeing. Plus I would love the help in having a second pair of eyes watching the battery and signal levels.

Rob

Have you tried litchi vue? It's supposed to do this.

Jack Allinson here ... thanks for sharing. So when you added the second controller as "SLAVE" did you have to re-link original controller as MASTER? Can your daughter use wheels on the "COPILOT" controller to control camera and DJI GO 4 app on her Ipad Air to do filming while you fly using the MASTER controller and Android version of DJI GO 4 app ?
No, I did not need to re-link the MASTER.
Yes she can control the wheels for the camera while I am flying. However we are not actually controlling the Mavic at the same time like the way the Inspire does. The Mavic takes signal from one controller at a time, either MASTER or COPILOT controller, not from both at the same time. The good thing is the control transfer occurs in less than 2 seconds and somehow the back and forth transfer is rather smooth. Thanks for asking.

Reactions: thescrudevice
Hello TonyAloha,
Thank you for the additional information. It was very useful. I have ordered a 2nd controller and look forward to exploring it uses.

I received my second controller yesterday. Connected it successfully as slave. After opening the controller feed i got a message that theres an update (weird because i updated via the master remote). Tried doing the update. First attempt failed. Second worked. Then after that i couldn't connect to the mavic with both controllers. Powering the master controller on worked and connected but the moment i would power on the slave both remotes would go to "Connecting..." . After multiple attempts i ended up on dji assistant 2 , refreshing the latest firmware on all 3 (mavic + 2 remotes). After that it worked. I did see some random "disconnected" messages but they were brief, 1-2 seconds. Ill keep an eye on this , hopefully it wont happen mid-air.

Here's a thought, do you think it would be possible to have a controller at each end of a long range mission? I'm thinking like 10km apart. That way the person at the other end could take control and finish the mission. Reason I'm asking is I would be able to do very remote cut line inspections which would be safer and more cost effective than walking. Oh and long range police need not reply.

Reactions: NoneTheWiser
Here's a thought, do you think it would be possible to have a controller at each end of a long range mission? I'm thinking like 10km apart. That way the person at the other end could take control and finish the mission. Reason I'm asking is I would be able to do very remote cut line inspections which would be safer and more cost effective than walking. Oh and long range police need not reply.
We are discussing this here; feel free to read & come with ideas ;)

Ok cool. I searched dual remotes and only came up with this 1 thread. I'm Checking it out. Thanks

I kind of agree. This feels more like a master slave RC combination. Thats fine for RC planes were you can plug yours into the other guys unit and help him out, but this is a Mavic and I just don't think that it is complicated enough to fly that anyone would need help or even want it. The idea of the person operating the craft having a slave pilot for filming is ridiculous because as you said it only has one camera.

IMHO what would have been better is just a black box with antennas that allowed a second person to tap into the Ocusync and watch the flight. My friends and wife would be more eager to go on flight outings if they could actually participate and be able to see what I am seeing. Plus I would love the help in having a second pair of eyes watching the battery and signal levels.

Rob
Re second person to tap into the Ocusync and watch the flight. My friends and wife would be more eager to go on flight outings if they could actually participate and be able to see what I am seeing. Plus I would love the help in having a second pair of eyes watching the battery and signal levels.

If you are using Android devices you could use miracast say from (Controller) phone to (viewer) tablet and the second device is just a viewer. dont try with sony xperia as there are some bugs in the Sony setup. Works with Samsung S7 to lenovo tab 3, 7", some clarity and lag issues but it works, got it going tonight, may also work to the dreaded windows devices, but not all will work as receivers ? Win 10 is supposed to from what i read.
But I run "Never 10" due to usb driver issues on other gear.so unable to test.
Miracast is more a protocol, so look for screen cast or cast on android or windows. not all items work as receivers.

i think apple products have similar options. hope this helps

Reactions: TonyAloha
hey gang.
i have one boosted RC and one standard RC.
can i bind them as primary and one as secondary and then fly with which ever remote i have with me that day without setting it as primary???
thanks all.

hey gang.
i have one boosted RC and one standard RC.
can i bind them as primary and one as secondary and then fly with which ever remote i have with me that day without setting it as primary???
thanks all.
Yes you can, if you don't mind the limitation of a secondary remote. I don't like to fly with a secondary remote, whichever remote I want to fly with I'll make it primary.

Linking the remote is very, very easy. I switched between my remotes so many times I don't even need to use any sharp object to press the button anymore. I simply use the notch on the door cover to press it. It usually only take me like 5 seconds to link a remote.

Yes you can, if you don't mind the limitation of a secondary remote. I don't like to fly with a secondary remote, whichever remote I want to fly with I'll make it primary.

Linking the remote is very, very easy. I switched between my remotes so many times I don't even need to use any sharp object to press
the button anymore. I simply use the notch on the door cover to press it. It usually only take me like 5 seconds to link a remote.

That was my question as well. have had a nib rc in a box and wondered if I needed a charged backup how much of a hassle it would be to pair the rc each time.

Not a hassle at all.
Few more q's - So when I set this up and have one master and one slave, is there a way to set access controls on the slave, IE only allow it to control camera vs control MP or is it open game once the two are paired? I'm thinking of the usecase where I have daughter man the slave controller and control the camera.

Few more q's - So when I set this up and have one master and one slave, is there a way to set access controls on the slave, IE only allow it to control camera vs control MP or is it open game once the two are paired? I'm thinking of the usecase where I have daughter man the slave controller and control the camera.
I never fly with 2 remotes. I have 1 remote with modded antenna and 1 stock. I always make the RC I am flying with primary. So I will try to answer your question based from what I've read. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

There is no way to set access control for the secondary RC, it's open game. From top of my head, the only thing the secondary can't do is to change the radio frequency and Sport Mode. However, primary will always have priority for control. So if you want the secondary to take control, you should cease giving input from primary for a second or two, then you can let the secondary to take control. From what I read, the handover is seamless.

I believe what you are trying to do with your daughter can be done better with DJI Goggle. You can fly the Mavic while your daughter can control the movement of the camera/gimbal with her head movement. I don't have the Goggle and don't read much about it, but you can search Youtube for this.

Wanted to know if you can use a Spark controller as the second remote for the Mavic?

Wanted to know if you can use a Spark controller as the second remote for the Mavic?
No. You must use a Mavic remote controller.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_