DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now
Hi,

thank you for your thoughts.

Yesterday i was flying(with my older brother mavic) in -20°C without a problem, i dont thing low temperature is something mavic cant handle. I am familiar with cold weather, so heating batteries before using them is normal procedure.

I am from Europe, manned aircrafts are flying way beyond 400m. I have found and bought this locator: Trackimo 3G Drone GPS Tracker Wi-Fi Bluetooth with Drone attachment kit

I havent noticed first compass error, that was basic mistake. Can water be a problem? The whole dam is frozen to death. The only thing that cross my mind is interferenc from the water, which led to compass error, remote miss-behavier and at the end to loosing GPS signal. Wind wasnt so hard, however it was main reason why I switched to Sport mode, I wanted to fly shorter time and to be sure I can handle the wind with higher power up there.

Update: Few minutes ago i flew over the water again(in night so i cas see the mavic) and after just 50m controller showed interference problem. I believe that standing right on the water with controller is main problem. I was loosing signal alot, several errors showed up. All flights before this day were with no problem as I was flying in different locations.
Just water will not cause interference, cold temperatures, however, will impact electronics.

Just water will not cause interference, cold temperatures, however, will impact electronics.
Surely the biggest effect will be on the battery chemistry? This is easily dealt with by keeping the battery in a warm place before flight and hovering for a period before flying off. The rest of the electronics probably run better when kept cool hence fan and heat sink. Condensation caused when moving between cold and warm would cause more problems especially if the components are carrying current as the moisture would form on the components.

im in canada and i flew in -10c a few times, battery lasted about the same as warmer temps, i dont think cold was ur issue, many dont recomend flying in cold but i think warm humid areas are much worse than cold.
Just wondering on your theories that make you think what you do?
You should research lipo’s and the effects of cold

Temperature decreases 2Deg every 1000 ft, plus any wind and icing conditions, 400m is not a safe environment for a mavic

Just wondering on your theories that make you think what you do?
You should research lipo’s and the effects of cold

Temperature decreases 2Deg every 1000 ft, plus any wind and icing conditions, 400m is not a safe environment for a mavic
i dont always go by online in a lab reseacrch, i will trust my own results first, i use all types of batteries in all types of conditions for work and for play, and i work in some pretty extreme conditions in northern canada and see what batteries work and what electronics dont, i have heard of many more devices over heating in hot humid conditions than in cold conditions, of course some work better than others,

You say you trust your own results, which is fair enough, but then go on to saying you base some of your evidence on what you hear from others.
Doesn’t make sense

Really? Do you apply this philosophy to everything? When I see a doctor, I expect them to know more about things than my own deductions.
of course not,,,,,, only on real life things like batteries and such that i use on a daily baisis, why would u even use such a silly annalogy. things tested in a lab are much different than real life, even temps are different, -20c where i live is much different than -20c where i work, ,,,,,much differennt

of c even temps are different, -20c where i live is much different than -20c where i work, ,,,,,much differennt
-20c on the Celsius scale is the same everywhere, unless you are experiencing huge variations in pressure, which for example, allow water to boil below 100c if you are a significant altitude above sea level due to lower pressure.

-20c on the Celsius scale is the same everywhere, unless you are experiencing huge variations in pressure, which for example, allow water to boil below 100c if you are a significant altitude above sea level due to lower pressure.
again i could care less about that mumbo jumbo, i work in extreme temps and the feel on the skin where i live is a damp -20 and where i work is a crazy dry -20 and its VERY different on the skin and on equipment, -20 dry and -20 damp are VERY different on the skin, i dont care if science says they are the same haha

Different rules of physics wherever you are then. In the real world at -20c water is a solid, nothing damp about it at all unless you apply it to a warm (above 0c) surface.

Different rules of physics wherever you are then. In the real world at -20c water is a solid, nothing damp about it at all unless you apply it to a warm (above 0c) surface.

The vapor pressure of water at -20°C is measurable but low (~ 100 Pa). For comparison it's around 600 Pa at 0°C and 2 kPa at 20°C. Obviously that means that there is less water in the air (by a factor of 20) at 100% RH -20° C vs. 20°C.

Whether that means that 0% RH and 100% RH at -20°C are indistinguishable by feel is a different question - in my experience I would say that they do feel different but other factors, such as wind speed, may dominate and confuse the issue.

But would that make a difference in battery performance based on moisture levels at below freezing?

But would that make a difference in battery performance based on moisture levels at below freezing?

Seems unlikely. Since the battery is sealed and the electronics are going to be warmer than the air there are not going to be any condensation issues. Icing on the propellers might be an issue in saturated cold air though.

This ping pong session was good for me.
I do a lot of things off the cuff when practicing flight in the cold at home, and to have the facts bouncing off the actual in the statements surely do make me think and be cautious!
So far no accidents except a Gimbal malfunction due to inattentiveness in a stationary situation.
One pro out to be fixed and a second one on the way so I can continue to play.
I refuse to take the inexperienced risks of flying out past a couple of hundred feet or up higher than a hundred or so, and especially out of LOS.
So...very good forum and I'll get more fraternising in as we go along.
PJ.

i think u need to make a trip to canada, yes -20 can "feel" different in different locations, i could argue with u all day and u can spout off all the science u want if that makes u feel smarter but i work and live in the real world and -20 in vancouver is very different than -20 in nunavut on your skin, i work in both places, do you????? or do u live in a place with one season "hot" and thats it, damp may not have been a good choice but thats how we describe it here, -20 in nunaavut is very dry and the snow is very different than that snow in the south, and in vancouver its very moist if that works better for you, my experience is real world experience with batteries and tools and equipement, i dont need science to tell me its different on my skin, thats a real world feeeling so feel free to quote all the science u want but until u come up in january and work in both places ill trust my science thank u very much

i think u need to make a trip to canada, yes -20 can "feel" different in different locations, i could argue with u all day and u can spout off all the science u want if that makes u feel smarter but i work and live in the real world and -20 in vancouver is very different than -20 in nunavut on your skin, i work in both places, do you????? or do u live in a place with one season "hot" and thats it, damp may not have been a good choice but thats how we describe it here, -20 in nunaavut is very dry and the snow is very different than that snow in the south, and in vancouver its very moist if that works better for you, my experience is real world experience with batteries and tools and equipement, i dont need science to tell me its different on my skin, thats a real world feeeling so feel free to quote all the science u want but until u come up in january and work in both places ill trust my science thank u very much

-20c is the same all over the world, even at different altitudes and pressures. It’s wrong to say there is any variation. If it’s damp, then heat might transfer from your body at a faster rate, and you might FEEL cooler, but it’s still -20c.

-20c is the same all over the world, even at different altitudes and pressures. It’s wrong to say there is any variation. If it’s damp, then heat might transfer from your body at a faster rate, and you might FEEL cooler, but it’s still -20c.

Thermodynamic temperature is a simple state variable that is independent of pressure, density, relative humidity and so you are correct but, meteorologically, temperature is a more complex measurement that does depend on those other variables. And since @genesimmons is clearly referring to the meteorological meaning, and is talking about how it "feels", it is not always the same.

jeeezus yes i just said -20 can feel very diferent in different locations, the dry -20 in nunavut burns your skin and the humid -20 down south cuts thru to the bones and u feel cold from the inside, its very different, the dry -20 is easier to stay warm, the snow in the 2 areas is vastly different as well, u cant make a snow ball in nunavut -20 its to dry to stick together its like crunchy powder there but down south -20 snow u can make a snow man no problem, the skin feelings isnt a scientific term of course but its very different

jeeezus yes i just said -20 can feel very diferent in different locations, the dry -20 in nunavut burns your skin and the humid -20 down south cuts thru to the bones and u feel cold from the inside, its very different, the dry -20 is easier to stay warm, the snow in the 2 areas is vastly different as well, u cant make a snow ball in nunavut -20 its to dry to stick together its like crunchy powder there but down south -20 snow u can make a snow man no problem, the skin feelings isnt a scientific term of course but its very different

of course not,,,,,, only on real life things like batteries and such that i use on a daily baisis, why would u even use such a silly annalogy. things tested in a lab are much different than real life, even temps are different, -20c where i live is much different than -20c where i work, ,,,,,much differennt

This is what I was replying to. Nothing about ‘feel’ in that.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twistedpair