DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic flipped and crash-landed 5 secs after take-off

Mzanini

Reactions
Hi there, I'm a relatively new owner of a Mavic, and I'm really hoping someone could help me figure out what happened to the drone this morning. About 5 seconds after takeoff, while slowly ascending right over the home point, it flipped and fell from the sky. There was a bit of snow on the ground so the body didn't sustain damage, but the rather flimsy leg that connects the gimbal to the plate broke.

I'm considering three options

1. Try to install a new plate, like this one (https://www.amazon.com/Platinum-Vibration-Dampener-Aircraft-Aluminium/dp/B06XF37CGF) in the hope that the gimbal will work properly (the tape and metal gray cables connecting the gimbal to the unit are intact)

2. Submit it to DJI and take pay the $79 to get a replacement drone through DJI care refresh. I'd have to declare pilot error for this, but I don't think I did anything wrong.

3. Submit it to DJI and claim that it's some problem with the unit.

Not sure if anybody has experience with #1. As for #2 and 3, I'm attaching my flight information in the hope someone much more experienced than me can help understand what happened to my mavic in those 5 crazy seconds.

Thanks so much guys

Michele

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2017-12-10_[07-37-12].txt
    371.7 KB · Views: 23
Reactions: tjones
nope, nothing on top. I did notice one of the propellers was missing when the drone crashed. One suspicion I have, is that it might have flown off, causing the aircraft to flip. But there were no obstacles... thank you

My guess is one of the propellers didn’t lock in place when the motors were nearing full throttle?

Have seen a Phantom do exactly the same thing after losing a prop. I too suspect that your missing prop was not locked in and came off during the ascent resulting in the Mavic flipping and returning to Earth.

I just completed DJI refresh. Im happy with the service. It took about 2 weeks total to get new mavic. I even forgot to take my sd card out and they made sure I got it back. I'm testing new mavic today but everything seems good. I did have to update firmware. They shipped new unit wrapped in bubble wrap thrown in box. Glad it didnt get damaged.

Definately part of the pre flight check for me too. Check props are seated and battery is fitted perfect.

thanks guys this is very helpful information. I'm waiting for a new Mavic through the Refresh option, which I'm glad I took!

S
Hi there, I'm a relatively new owner of a Mavic, and I'm really hoping someone could help me figure out what happened to the drone this morning. About 5 seconds after takeoff, while slowly ascending right over the home point, it flipped and fell from the sky. There was a bit of snow on the ground so the body didn't sustain damage, but the rather flimsy leg that connects the gimbal to the plate broke.

I'm considering three options

1. Try to install a new plate, like this one (https://www.amazon.com/Platinum-Vibration-Dampener-Aircraft-Aluminium/dp/B06XF37CGF) in the hope that the gimbal will work properly (the tape and metal gray cables connecting the gimbal to the unit are intact)

2. Submit it to DJI and take pay the $79 to get a replacement drone through DJI care refresh. I'd have to declare pilot error for this, but I don't think I did anything wrong.

3. Submit it to DJI and claim that it's some problem with the unit.

Not sure if anybody has experience with #1. As for #2 and 3, I'm attaching my flight information in the hope someone much more experienced than me can help understand what happened to my mavic in those 5 crazy seconds.

Thanks so much guys

Michele

Same thing happened to me, auto take off, hovered there for a few seconds and just fell from where it took of, 4 ft and fell. It suffered a broken foot and says "cannot take off"
So i sent it to DJI Repair and they first charged me for the repairs and replacement, however they said that it was motor error so they will cover the cost. basically they acknowledge there was something wrong with it and wasn't pilot error and no charges made. so i suggest send to them and tell them the same thing, and im sure they will either repair or replace as you are with refresh.
Hope this helps!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser