DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Flyaway

Zionex

Reactions
Hey guys, I was wondering if I could get some help making sense of my logs and figuring out what happened to my Mavic.

A few minutes into the flight I got a warning on the controller to check the app and I lost all control and return to home did nothing. It drifted away at high speed and crashed in an area which is inaccessible so I could not retrieve it. I could see what was happening still in the live view but was unable to stop it. :(

I'd just like to know what happened and see if I have any recourse with DJI.

Thank you

Last edited:
Please upload your TXT flight log here and post a link back here. You'll find instructions for locating your TXT flight log at that link.

Where exactly did you take off from? Were there any metal objects near your Mavic?

Your flight log shows a lot of compass-related errors. It switched to ATTI mode (by design) due to those errors. When in ATTI mode, the Mavic will not hold its horizontal position. Instead, it'll drift with the wind. Since you made no effort to control your Mavic, it drifted away until it made impact with the nearby mountain.

My take is that this looks like an IMU failure, or possibly a bug in the 1000 firmware. Your drone went into ATTI mode and my guess is the wind was from the southeast, and carried your drone away.

What's unusual is the "In Flight,workingIMUencountersheading exception" message. I don't recall seeing that before. It indicates a software crash in the nav software on the drone itself.

Another person reported a similar situation with the workingIMUencountersheading message. He was able to recover from it by pressing the RTH button..I smell a software glitch.

I am probably in the minority because I usually trust DJI's upgrades, but in this case I would back off to fw version 0900 for the time being, and see if other people have a similar problem.

Also, I'm not that experienced at reading logs, so please wait for one of our experts to also look at your log.

Where exactly did you take off from? Were there any metal objects near your Mavic?

Your flight log shows a lot of compass-related errors. It switched to ATTI mode (by design) due to those errors. When in ATTI mode, the Mavic will not hold its horizontal position. Instead, it'll drift with the wind. Since you made no effort to control your Mavic, it drifted away until it made impact with the nearby mountain.
I took off from a lawn on the shore of the river and there were no metal objects nearby. When it switched to ATTI mode I tried to take control but it did not respond to any input from the controller and return to home would not work either. I could not regain control of it no matter what I tried.

When it switched to ATTI mode I tried to take control but it did not respond to any input from the controller
It looks like your Mavic was responding to your controls. You mostly were just commanding the rudder -- and it was yawing.

and return to home would not work either
Return to home will not work when the Mavic is flying in ATTI mode.

Contact DJI support and see what they think happened.

I wonder if the pause button would work in that scenario ?
Nope. The Mavic cannot hold its horizontal position when flying in ATTI mode.

It looks like your Mavic was responding to your controls. You mostly were just commanding the rudder -- and it was yawing.

Return to home will not work when the Mavic is flying in ATTI mode.

Contact DJI support and see what they think happened.
Any idea what the repeated yaw errors are due to?

I've contacted DJI support. I'm waiting to hear back from them.

Just a quick update. DJI confirmed there was a malfunction and will be shipping me a new Mavic under warranty.

Reactions: WAXMAN
It should be nice DJI to tell you / us more about this malfunction. Was a hardware or software malfunction? Can this be avoid with a new firmware?

Reactions: WAXMAN
It should be nice DJI to tell you / us more about this malfunction. Was a hardware or software malfunction? Can this be avoid with a new firmware?
Unfortunately they did not give me any details. It was running v01.03.0900.

Hey guys, I was wondering if I could get some help making sense of my logs and figuring out what happened to my Mavic.

A few minutes into the flight I got a warning on the controller to check the app and I lost all control and return to home did nothing. It drifted away at high speed and crashed in an area which is inaccessible so I could not retrieve it. I could see what was happening still in the live view but was unable to stop it. :(

I'd just like to know what happened and see if I have any recourse with DJI.

Thank you
Could do with help too...drone flew off yesterday.find my drone option seems too far away to be likely tho i did search the area it says should be, and on hols in weymouth till friday so i dont find it before hols ends am stuck and nothing i can find on app seems too helpfull? :(

Rth failed.flew off somewhere saying was rth but rth wouldnt show on phone so couldnt cancel it.by time restarted app battery dying and it trying land but god knows where as was mid fields and woods nr weymouth....help?

Reactions: Technomancer
@ffaxdavid, check out your TXT flight log to see if it explains what happened. You can upload and view it online here. If you'd like other people to review and comment on your flight log, then please post a link back here after you upload it.

Appreciate reply, but damned if can find log on phone and no access to a pc to search it more extensively till hols end and i get home to use pc :(

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada