DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Gimbal Dead before first flight

IndyMoto

Reactions
Ordered my Mavic from Best Buy on October 10th. It delivered on December 10th. I waited Christmas Day to open it.
After setting up the new Firmware the Gimbal calibrated and worked fine.
The Gimbal guard has been removed and I still receive the error message, "Gimbal Obstructed"
After several attempts I was able to login to Assistant 2 and re-calibrate the Gimbal.
The Gimbal would not move after calibration. No movement with the Gimbal wheel either.
I uninstalled the firmware and reset to factory settings.
Nothing. No Gimbal movement.
This is frustrating.
Turning the drone upside down does nothing.

Haven't even lifted it off the ground once.

Does the gimbal move and wobble about when you move the drone?
Sounds to me like you have removed the gimbal guard and not the gimbal lock.

Yeah, there is clear piece of plastic wedged between the gimbal and the body of the mavic. Pull it down and it will come out, releasing the gimbal. Should flop around after that. Good luck.

Please do the suggestions above and report back:)

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Thank you for the quick response.
I really don't want to send this thing back.
Yes, both pieces of clear plastic have been removed that stabilize the Gimbal during transport. The Gimbal moves freely when you pick up the Mavic by hand, so it's not wedged by the plastic guard.
I checked to ensure the Gimbal was seated underneat the plastic tabs correctly as some others had offered this suggestion on YouTube.

When you fire up the Mavic, the Gimbal doesn't try to do anything with regard to movement.
Im not a novice with DJI equipment. This is my second DJI product, as I have had a Phantom 3 Pro for over a year and I have had to calculate brats the Gimbal before on the P3.
Again, you cannot move the Gimbal using the dial on the remote control either. The camera just doesn't respond and it's connected property to the controller and the Mavic will fly.
The camera is working. Photos, Videos, just no use of the Gimbal

So I understand how it works, just dumbfounded on this one.

Thanks again, I look forward to any additional suggestions

Thank you for the quick response.
I really don't want to send this thing back.
Yes, both pieces of clear plastic have been removed that stabilize the Gimbal during transport. The Gimbal moves freely when you pick up the Mavic by hand, so it's not wedged by the plastic guard.
I checked to ensure the Gimbal was seated underneat the plastic tabs correctly as some others had offered this suggestion on YouTube.

When you fire up the Mavic, the Gimbal doesn't try to do anything with regard to movement.
Im not a novice with DJI equipment. This is my second DJI product, as I have had a Phantom 3 Pro for over a year and I have had to calculate brats the Gimbal before on the P3.
Again, you cannot move the Gimbal using the dial on the remote control either. The camera just doesn't respond and it's connected property to the controller and the Mavic will fly.
The camera is working. Photos, Videos, just no use of the Gimbal

So I understand how it works, just dumbfounded on this one.

Thanks again, I look forward to any additional suggestions
Are you getting any errors related to the gimbal on the app?

The only error I receive on the DJI Go app is "Gimbal Obstructed".
On the Assistant 2 app, i received no errors after completing the o screen calibration.
Gimbal didn't move after the lengthy calibration process.

The only error I receive on the DJI Go app is "Gimbal Obstructed".
On the Assistant 2 app, i received no errors after completing the o screen calibration.
Gimbal didn't move after the lengthy calibration process.
Ok, just to let you know, the assistant 2 application will not tell you about gimbal errors. Only the Go App Will notify you of gimbal errors.
It is possible this could be a hardware issue.

Again, thank you for the timely response.
I'm almost certain that it is a hardware issue.
I tried to uninstall the Firmware and I am going to try to reinstall it again.

Would the Gimbal still be able to move up and down with the controller without the Firmware installed?
Or would the Gimbal be able to move up and down with the controller right out of the. I'd before installing any Firmware?

I never really messed with it, just installed the Firmware per the instructions on both the Mavic and the remote before trying any of the controls or Gimbal movements for the first time.

I haven't re-installed the Firmware yet, but I plan to today. I don't think it is going to matter.
I'm almost sure I have a bigger problem with the hardware.

May just try and return it for a full refund.
Glad I decided not to re-sale on eBay.
This would have been a bigger nightmare and not nearly worth the profit

Reactions: kiteboy
Again, thank you for the timely response.
I'm almost certain that it is a hardware issue.
I tried to uninstall the Firmware and I am going to try to reinstall it again.

Would the Gimbal still be able to move up and down with the controller without the Firmware installed?
Or would the Gimbal be able to move up and down with the controller right out of the. I'd before installing any Firmware?

I never really messed with it, just installed the Firmware per the instructions on both the Mavic and the remote before trying any of the controls or Gimbal movements for the first time.

I haven't re-installed the Firmware yet, but I plan to today. I don't think it is going to matter.
I'm almost sure I have a bigger problem with the hardware.

May just try and return it for a full refund.
Glad I decided not to re-sale on eBay.
This would have been a bigger nightmare and not nearly worth the profit

One thing to try before going for refund. At the top of the gimbal mechanism where it sits inside the bird, it's held in by being bigger than the hole (slightly difficult to explain but if you look at it. It might be the issue) check if one of the corners of the mechanism has slipped out and needs to be popped back inside where it's held properly. Please let me know if this was your problem.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Thanks, checked that after watching a video and from another thread.
It's sitting where it should be
All cables are attached properly

Sent mine back today with Gimbal Obstructed error. No Gimbal movement on startup. Only flown once for five minutes as a test flight.

Checked plastic tab out - OK
Re-calibrated IMU - OK
Checked Gimbal Plate mounted correctly - OK
Reinstalled Firmware - OK
Tried recalibrating the Gimbal. It wouldn't do it.

Left it for a day and re-did all above and still no luck.

This seems to be a recurring problem with the Mavic.

Sent mine back today with Gimbal Obstructed error. No Gimbal movement on startup. Only flown once for five minutes as a test flight.

Checked plastic tab out - OK
Re-calibrated IMU - OK
Checked Gimbal Plate mounted correctly - OK
Reinstalled Firmware - OK
Tried recalibrating the Gimbal. It wouldn't do it.

Left it for a day and re-did all above and still no luck.

This seems to be a recurring problem with the Mavic.

I'm at a loss, so I am doing the same.
This has to be a common problem with the Mavic. After a closer look at the Mavic Gimbal hanging by 4 small rubber bands, I have to say I was not impressed with the engineering on that idea. Even the phantom has some type of rubber bumpers on the Gimbal.
I believe this will be an ongoing problem with the Mavic and I very well may wait to see if there is a 2nd gen production as it seems they may have rushed through this one in order to compete with the GoPro and other fold up quads prior to the holidays sales.
Just not 100% sure this one could not use some redefining in some areas and I haven't even flown it yet.

Stay tuned

Igot my dji mavic yesterday and sadly my gimbal also had problem. In my dji go, it stated that my gimbal is overload when i power it on. I had remove the bubble cover and the clamp. I return to the shop to show the seller. The seller agreed that my gimbal is not initializing properly and unable to restart as show in dji go. He told me that my gimbal is too loose and moving freely. Not sure what he did, i think re installing the mount or tighten it. My gimbal now is working fine.

Reactions: kingbrad22
Igot my dji mavic yesterday and sadly my gimbal also had problem. In my dji go, it stated that my gimbal is overload when i power it on. I had remove the bubble cover and the clamp. I return to the shop to show the seller. The seller agreed that my gimbal is not initializing properly and unable to restart as show in dji go. He told me that my gimbal is too loose and moving freely. Not sure what he did, i think re installing the mount or tighten it. My gimbal now is working fine.
How did the seller tighten it

How did the seller tighten it
I had no idea, they just told me they will be checking on the web. I suppose DJI support site and adjust for me. I wasn't there when they do it.

But despite it was rectified, the problem came back again. Apparently the problem lies on My Mavic than on the gimbal itself. Somehow when mavic is heated up due to flight or on ground system check, my gimbal will start to fail. DJI had replace a new drone for me.

Ordered my Mavic from Best Buy on October 10th. It delivered on December 10th. I waited Christmas Day to open it.
After setting up the new Firmware the Gimbal calibrated and worked fine.
The Gimbal guard has been removed and I still receive the error message, "Gimbal Obstructed"
After several attempts I was able to login to Assistant 2 and re-calibrate the Gimbal.
The Gimbal would not move after calibration. No movement with the Gimbal wheel either.
I uninstalled the firmware and reset to factory settings.
Nothing. No Gimbal movement.
This is frustrating.
Turning the drone upside down does nothing.

Haven't even lifted it off the ground once.
I have the same issue with mine but don't know if it's the software or something else.. did you get it fixed?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78