DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic in Nepal?

ray3l

Reactions
Hi,
Next week I'll be in Nepal for work and I definitely want to take my awesome Mavic with me and take some time for some flights.
Any tips on regulations/ travelling/ spots to go to near Pokhara? Much appreciated, thanks!

Hi,
Next week I'll be in Nepal for work and I definitely want to take my awesome Mavic with me and take some time for some flights.
Any tips on regulations/ travelling/ spots to go to near Pokhara? Much appreciated, thanks!
One needs to get permission from Civil Aviation Authority for Nepal (CAAN) if they want to use it over other than their personal properties. More on this here

Last edited:
Reactions: ray3l
Definately travel with the permit else it will be confiscated. I am travelling in April, applied by email and letter, no replies. Go in person and get it there. There is no charge for it.

Reactions: ray3l
Definately travel with the permit else it will be confiscated. I am travelling in April, applied by email and letter, no replies. Go in person and get it there. There is no charge for it.

How difficult was this process in person? Im going in December and I noticed the process seemed rather difficult.

I am flying to Kathmandu today. Dyou know where know where abouts in the city I will be able to get a hold of this permit? The last thing I want is it to be confiscated!

Last edited:
I know this thread is old, but I just wanted to know how it went: were you able to
Bring the drone into the country?

Yes... I didn't have any issues flying into Kathmandu on the airline. Just very cautious about flying where there are loads of people. The permit is available from the CAA in Babarmahal area. Be prepared to wait and waste precious time of your holiday. I flew mine in extreme remote areas where there was little or no human dwellings.

I posted some questions about this some time ago, but I thought I might update with some news from Nepal.

I got my drone into the country without any issues. There was another guy in the same organization I’m in, that went to the CAAN-
Office before I arrived, and they didn’t mind that we would fly the drone, as long as we didn’t do it in Kathmandu, and stayed less than 200 m above terrain (considering danish legislation, this is a lot)

I have already had It flying a couple of times here, and the footage is amazing!

Reactions: newnan3
I posted some questions about this some time ago, but I thought I might update with some news from Nepal.

I got my drone into the country without any issues. There was another guy in the same organization I’m in, that went to the CAAN-
Office before I arrived, and they didn’t mind that we would fly the drone, as long as we didn’t do it in Kathmandu, and stayed less than 200 m above terrain (considering danish legislation, this is a lot)

I have already had It flying a couple of times here, and the footage is amazing!

This is outstanding!

Just curious..

All the things needed like described on several websites aren't needed? I would like to go to Nepal in October and really want to fly the Mavic in the mountains. But it seems a lot of work to get the permission if I have to believe this website:

Drone Operation Permission: Civil Aviation Authority (CAAN)of Nepal - NaliBeli

So if I arrive in Kathmandu, I can go to the CAAN-office and tell them I want to fly the Mavic in the mountains, and I get the permission immediately?

Let me know! Saves me a lot of time!

Reactions: Budmancan
Just curious..

All the things needed like described on several websites aren't needed? I would like to go to Nepal in October and really want to fly the Mavic in the mountains. But it seems a lot of work to get the permission if I have to believe this website:

Drone Operation Permission: Civil Aviation Authority (CAAN)of Nepal - NaliBeli

So if I arrive in Kathmandu, I can go to the CAAN-office and tell them I want to fly the Mavic in the mountains, and I get the permission immediately?

Let me know! Saves me a lot of time!

I think my main answer would be: where are you going in Nepal?

A friend of mine with a Mavic Drone went to the office prior to my arrival. So I only know what he told me. Like me, he would only be flying in rural areas, and the CAAN just answered, that as long as he stayed beneath 200 m above terrain, they didn't see any issues.

So yes, all the paperwork is a fuss, but still it's Nepal, and of course the CAAN don't want to spend their time doing it. So if you are flying in rural areas, then you don't need anything.

I flew in a place called Amppipal, so remote, that no Nepalis really know where it is. I had no issues, just a bunch of very friendly rice farmers that never had seen anything like that!

Just be aware that even the local police don't always know the rules. So even though you are right, try to respect it if the police tells you not to do it.

I think my main answer would be: where are you going in Nepal?

A friend of mine with a Mavic Drone went to the office prior to my arrival. So I only know what he told me. Like me, he would only be flying in rural areas, and the CAAN just answered, that as long as he stayed beneath 200 m above terrain, they didn't see any issues.

So yes, all the paperwork is a fuss, but still it's Nepal, and of course the CAAN don't want to spend their time doing it. So if you are flying in rural areas, then you don't need anything.

I flew in a place called Amppipal, so remote, that no Nepalis really know where it is. I had no issues, just a bunch of very friendly rice farmers that never had seen anything like that!

Just be aware that even the local police don't always know the rules. So even though you are right, try to respect it if the police tells you not to do it.

Thanks for the quick response! The problem is that nothing is really planned before. When I really want to use the drone is during the trekkings true the mountains. I don't need to fly in Kathmandu for example..

I also saw some footage of beautiful ricefields. The problem is that I've experienced that the most beautiful footage is taken at places you never knew about or you never expected it to be that beautiful.

When it's a crowds place I won't use it. It's just for nature shots, mostly mountains and maybe ricefields. Is that what you mean by "Rural" areas?

I just don't want to do things against the law but I think this is way to much work for some personal use footage at places with zero people at all.

But, just in case, if it's needed for my usage to have a permit. Is it possible to arrange one in Kathmandu as well?

Thank you so much!

Thanks for the quick response! The problem is that nothing is really planned before. When I really want to use the drone is during the trekkings true the mountains. I don't need to fly in Kathmandu for example..

I also saw some footage of beautiful ricefields. The problem is that I've experienced that the most beautiful footage is taken at places you never knew about or you never expected it to be that beautiful.

When it's a crowds place I won't use it. It's just for nature shots, mostly mountains and maybe ricefields. Is that what you mean by "Rural" areas?

I just don't want to do things against the law but I think this is way to much work for some personal use footage at places with zero people at all.

But, just in case, if it's needed for my usage to have a permit. Is it possible to arrange one in Kathmandu as well?

Thank you so much!

Doing the Everest base camp trek in December and my main concern are the rescue helis that fly in to help the hikers. Most likely in December there wont be a lot of hikers but something to keep in mind during the busy season (Sept-Oct).

Doing the Everest base camp trek in December and my main concern are the rescue helis that fly in to help the hikers. Most likely in December there wont be a lot of hikers but something to keep in mind during the busy season (Sept-Oct).
December is off season for Everest base camp, so helicopters won't be a major factor. Keeping your batteries warm and charged might be your biggest challenge mid winter, although everest @ mid winter is at its most beautiful. At altitude it can be -10/20 indoors @ night !! This will shorten your batteries performance considerably when combined with thin air ...how do you plan on keeping then charged ?

December is off season for Everest base camp, so helicopters won't be a major factor. Keeping your batteries warm and charged might be your biggest challenge mid winter, although everest @ mid winter is at its most beautiful. At altitude it can be -10/20 indoors @ night !! This will shorten your batteries performance considerably when combined with thin air ...how do you plan on keeping then charged ?

Bringing 5 batts and only plan on flying a few min at a time. I only do still pictures so if I can get up and get my shots I hopefully can get more flights.

Reactions: Bazzam
You might find some teahouses in the villages have generator power, some even hydro or solar.
Although I haven't been on the Everest trek, even in remote Kanchejunga in 2012 we could charge up various bits of kit remote.
Many homes have 12v, so might be worth taking the 12v charger and a ciggy plug with a few feet of cable with alligator clips ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato