DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic killed The Lilly?

GRT

Reactions
I first got interested in a drone camera when I saw the Lilly hype video. The video looked awesome, throw it in the air and it followed you. Apparrently the maker had oversold what their product could do. And with the release of the Mavic, it makes the Lilly obsolete before it was even released. Saw An article yesterday that the designers will not put the Lilly in to production

I first got interested in a drone camera when I saw the Lilly hype video. The video looked awesome, throw it in the air and it followed you. Apparrently the maker had oversold what their product could do. And with the release of the Mavic, it makes the Lilly obsolete before it was even released. Saw An article yesterday that the designers will not put the Lilly in to production

What I read focused more on the finances of the company and didn't even mention technology issues. The article stated the following:

"A total of $34 million from approximately 60,000 pre-orders were received, but a company blog post advises this wasn't enough to start the drone's production. Founders Antoine Balaresque and Henry Bradlow jointly told supporters this week that the drone had received good feedback from the beta program, but the company had been "racing against a clock of ever-diminishing funds."

Attempts to secure financing to start manufacturing of the drone over the last couple of months failed, the founders said. They will now wind down the company and issue refunds to customers."

Reactions: jointeffort
I disagree. The Mavic didn't kill it, lack of technology did.

I too really liked what the Lilly was offering when I first saw it. It was actually what really got me interested in Drones. The ability to simply throw something up in the air and it will follow you. As a Mountain Biker, snow rider, and motorcyclist, the Lilly offered exactly what I wanted. A "Fire and Forget" drone to capture my activities.

Well we know that type of technology; the ability to follow a user, not lose track of them and avoid objects all at a decent speed doesn't yet exist. The Mavic as well as a few other manufactures offer something like "follow me", but its not good enough YET....

The Lilly was very ambitious...

That's what I figured the outcome would be when I saw the Mavic prerelease stuff last Oct. I had tossed $600 at the Lily project in mid 2015. With in days after the Mavic preorder were available I cancelled my Lily order and ordered the Mavic. I was concerned the company would fold I would loose my $600 plus I justified my Mavic Fly Package really only cost me $700 at that point! I'm glad other will be getting there money back. I've got some 50+ flights on the little Mavic and couldn't be happier. Just got home from a 4 day back country ski trip and toted the little guy wrapped in a hat and rubber band in my pack 7 miles up to 11,000' 10th Mountain Div Hut with no issue. That wouldn't have even really been practical with the Lily. Only managed a short flight since it was pretty much whiteout conditions for 4 strait days but the portability makes this the ideal drone for this type of activity.

Reactions: MavicMo
Yeah, it seems like a lot of us got the drone bug last year. And we all saw the Lily. I never ordered, but thought it was quite a cool idea. Though my interests were always in flying distance and capturing where I was flying, rather than video capturing of myself. Therefore, my interests were in drones by Yuneec and DJI (though the Mavic is my first DJI) and Parrot. But I was suckered by the Onagofly (sold it, never even opened the box, and made back some of my investment). And there were a few cool little flying cameras that I was interested in (Carbon Flyer is another one I thought was interesting). Can't tell you how many drone videos I've watched in 2016, and now in 2017, since I caught the bug.

Lily designers made promises they could not keep as well as some bad design decisions. They would have failed with or without the Mavic.
They did a good job of marketing and lots of folks wanted the features they promised. The Mavic and others have achieved many of those promised features but certainly not all. You can't take your Mavic out of a backpack and just throw it off of bridge without setting things up and waiting for a GPS lock. You can't throw it in a whitewater river and have it launch from the water and follow you.
Lily promised super stable video without having a gimbal and showed video that was obviously not produced that way. A huge mistake was having a battery that you could not change out. Lily was a one trick pony, a selfie drone. There are lots of those that have been designed and delivered recently at a much lower price, but they lack the durability that the Lily promised.

I asked for a refund from Lily when Gopro announced the Karma. And then I saw the Mavic and forgot about the Karma instantly! Lily was a great idea but they simply took too long to develop it successfully. I don't think the Mavic was the final nail in the coffin because the Lily required minimal input from a pilot point of view and so was a different platform really. A real shame and a lesson to other start-ups.

the mavic killed it to me. i had an ar drone a few years ago and the lily gave me the drone fever again. luckily i never ordered one and the moment i saw the mavic i bought it. its been my obsession ever since.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Among1423