DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini 1, can't downgrade from 01.00.0600

Reactions
Anyone know how to downgrade? It seems DJI pumped out this update just as a way of doing planned obsolescence. I want to downgrade so I can mod my drone to get more tilt so it can handle wind more.

slup

Premium Pilot
Reactions
As said in your previous thread about wind resistance ... the DJI Mavic Mini is among the weakest motor wise & by modifying the max tilt to more than it have stock, will most probably mean that it won't keep the height reliably anymore even though the motors are on max rpms.

Study this pic & you understand what I mean ... the drone (motors+props) can only produce a certain amount of thrust, when level the thrust only have to overcome the weight to keep the drone in the air. Once starting to tilt forward some thrust goes to produce forward speed & some to overcome the weight. When the forward thrust take more and more of the total thrust due to an increasing tilt angle (the heading speed increases) you soon reach a point where it's not enough thrust left to overcome the weight ... & there the drone loose height & goes down.

1656001878656.png

Last edited:

scro

Reactions
If you have fw 0600 it's stuck at that as it blocks downgrading. The last fw that allows more than stock tilt is 0400. I'm using fw 0400 and have max tilt set to 35 for S mode and 25 for P and C modes. This might make a slight improvement to its wind handling capability, but not much. Yesterday I flew in winds of about 25mph (11-12m/s) but it was clear that this was about the upper limit for reliable flight. During gusts it would barely make headway into the wind, but on no occasion did I see it fail to hold location.

The mini1 can cope with 40deg tilt, but even with hard flying in S mode it rarely uses the full 40deg. It has limited amounts of thrust (approx 430g total) compared to the mini 2 (approx 525g total) and mini 3 pro (approx 670g total). Much of the thrust is dedicated to keeping the drone airborne so there is only limited reserve to push it forward into the wind. That, coupled with the extra apparent weight due to downforce from the wind blowing over the forward sloping body surface means the mini 1 can only put up with so much wind.

Personally I've always been quite impressed with what wind the mini1 can cope with, but I recognise that newer drones can do even better.