DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini 1, can't downgrade from 01.00.0600

Reactions
Anyone know how to downgrade? It seems DJI pumped out this update just as a way of doing planned obsolescence. I want to downgrade so I can mod my drone to get more tilt so it can handle wind more.

As said in your previous thread about wind resistance ... the DJI Mavic Mini is among the weakest motor wise & by modifying the max tilt to more than it have stock, will most probably mean that it won't keep the height reliably anymore even though the motors are on max rpms.

Study this pic & you understand what I mean ... the drone (motors+props) can only produce a certain amount of thrust, when level the thrust only have to overcome the weight to keep the drone in the air. Once starting to tilt forward some thrust goes to produce forward speed & some to overcome the weight. When the forward thrust take more and more of the total thrust due to an increasing tilt angle (the heading speed increases) you soon reach a point where it's not enough thrust left to overcome the weight ... & there the drone loose height & goes down.

1656001878656.png

Last edited:
If you have fw 0600 it's stuck at that as it blocks downgrading. The last fw that allows more than stock tilt is 0400. I'm using fw 0400 and have max tilt set to 35 for S mode and 25 for P and C modes. This might make a slight improvement to its wind handling capability, but not much. Yesterday I flew in winds of about 25mph (11-12m/s) but it was clear that this was about the upper limit for reliable flight. During gusts it would barely make headway into the wind, but on no occasion did I see it fail to hold location.

The mini1 can cope with 40deg tilt, but even with hard flying in S mode it rarely uses the full 40deg. It has limited amounts of thrust (approx 430g total) compared to the mini 2 (approx 525g total) and mini 3 pro (approx 670g total). Much of the thrust is dedicated to keeping the drone airborne so there is only limited reserve to push it forward into the wind. That, coupled with the extra apparent weight due to downforce from the wind blowing over the forward sloping body surface means the mini 1 can only put up with so much wind.

Personally I've always been quite impressed with what wind the mini1 can cope with, but I recognise that newer drones can do even better.

Reactions: TVQ
If you have fw 0600 it's stuck at that as it blocks downgrading. The last fw that allows more than stock tilt is 0400. I'm using fw 0400 and have max tilt set to 35 for S mode and 25 for P and C modes. This might make a slight improvement to its wind handling capability, but not much. Yesterday I flew in winds of about 25mph (11-12m/s) but it was clear that this was about the upper limit for reliable flight. During gusts it would barely make headway into the wind, but on no occasion did I see it fail to hold location.

The mini1 can cope with 40deg tilt, but even with hard flying in S mode it rarely uses the full 40deg. It has limited amounts of thrust (approx 430g total) compared to the mini 2 (approx 525g total) and mini 3 pro (approx 670g total). Much of the thrust is dedicated to keeping the drone airborne so there is only limited reserve to push it forward into the wind. That, coupled with the extra apparent weight due to downforce from the wind blowing over the forward sloping body surface means the mini 1 can only put up with so much wind.

Personally I've always been quite impressed with what wind the mini1 can cope with, but I recognise that newer drones can do even better.
Where are you getting those thrust figures from? And is the Mini SE also 525g of thrust?

Where are you getting those thrust figures from? And is the Mini SE also 525g of thrust?
These have been picked from various YouTube videos of people seeing how much weight drones can lift. The weight that the drone can only just lift is roughly equal to the max surplus thrust. Add to this the weight of the drone itself and you get the total thrust. E.g. Mini1 can lift about 180g. It weighs 250g, so has around 430g total thrust. (OK 429g for the pedants)

I've not seen any figures for the mini se. I'd guess it is a bit more than the mini1, and maybe as much as the mini 2. It appears to share the same motors and props as the mini2, and seems to do better in wind than the mini1, but paper specs imply it isn't as powerful as the mini2.

What is the verdict? Not to change the parameters? I already changed mine to 45 on sport and 30 on normal. I haven't flown much with it like that but it feels snappy. Oh I was able to to downgrade from .0600 to .0400. I used DJI Assistant 2 for consumer drones.

What is the verdict? Not to change the parameters? I already changed mine to 45 on sport and 30 on normal. I haven't flown much with it like that but it feels snappy. Oh I was able to to downgrade from .0600 to .0400. I used DJI Assistant 2 for consumer drones.

Please guide me, I can't see 0400 on the firmware list

Any update? i am also stuck on 0600 and for various reasons (tilt, gimbal error, fcc mod) i would love to go to 0300 :-(

Ender

Reactions: DogCheck
Same firmware
Please guide. How did you downgrade? I cannot see any firmware other than .0600

Last edited by a moderator:
Please guide, how did you do it? I cannot find any firmware other than .0400 in the DJI Assistant 2 for consumer drones app... Appreciate your reply please.
@swaran.fca This is a typo right? If i see it correctly our problem is that we only see the 0600 FW in DJI Assistant as DJI prohibits a downgrade from tjis point. So i doubt that @Dredan72 used a Mini 1 OR there is something we are missing...

Ender

Mavic mini downgrade.

Disclaimer. Do this at your own risk. I will not be liable for any damages that may come as a result of this.

Install DJI Assistant 2 (Consumer).
Go to where you installed the assistant 2(consumer) In my case C drive. Open Program files (x86)\Dji product)\Dji assistant 2 (Consumer Drones Series))\DJIEngine)\defaultsettings. Edit default settings with note pad.(very important). Edit upgrade_enable from 0 to 1. Save. Close note pad. Right click on note pad and open properties. Here click on security at the top. To change permissions click edit. Under permissions for everyone allow everything except full control and special permissions. Apply. Close everything. Launch Dji assistant 2 consumer. Switch on the mini, connect the cable when you hear the chime. Mavic mini will be detected. Open the icon in the assistant, all the firmwares will be visible together with the current. Choose the firmware you want to downgrade to and hit upgrade next to it. There wont be downgrade button, just upgrade. Go ahead and do it. Wait a few minutes and you are good to go. Now you can change parameters as you like with drone hacks. I believe this can work with mini 2 as well as others.

Sorry to have taken long to reply. Haven't been able to log in. Hope it helps.

@swaran.fca This is a typo right? If i see it correctly our problem is that we only see the 0600 FW in DJI Assistant as DJI prohibits a downgrade from tjis point. So i doubt that @Dredan72 used a Mini 1 OR there is something we are missing...

Ender
Sorry to have taken long to reply. I used mavic mini and here is how I did it.

Mavic mini downgrade.

Disclaimer. Do this at your own risk. I will not be liable for any damages that may come as a result of this.

Install DJI Assistant 2 (Consumer).
Go to where you installed the assistant 2(consumer) In my case C drive. Open Program files (x86)\Dji product)\Dji assistant 2 (Consumer Drones Series))\DJIEngine)\defaultsettings. Edit default settings with note pad.(very important). Edit upgrade_enable from 0 to 1. Save. Close note pad. Right click on note pad and open properties. Here click on security at the top. To change permissions click edit. Under permissions for everyone allow everything except full control and special permissions. Apply. Close everything. Launch Dji assistant 2 consumer. Switch on the mini, connect the cable when you hear the chime. Mavic mini will be detected. Open the icon in the assistant, all the firmwares will be visible together with the current. Choose the firmware you want to downgrade to and hit upgrade next to it. There wont be downgrade button, just upgrade. Go ahead and do it. Wait a few minutes and you are good to go. Now you can change parameters as you like with drone hacks. I believe this can work with mini 2 as well as others.

Hi!
I tried and i cannot get it to work.
Could you be so kind and show the contents of the defaultsettings.ini?
For me there wasnt even a wm160 section (only wm161) but nevertheless i added it and set both to "1".
Also maybe show #how your sec settings for "everyone" is. As soon as i disallow for "Full control" it goz disallow for all other options, notz even notepad can edit it afterwards without restoring permissions.
(Tried it nonetheless also with just making it write protected).

In other words:

HELP :)

Ender

P.S. it would have been too easy i guess, even dronehacks and so on will not downgrade...

Hello. I followed the steps posted above. I will post pics you asked for. I will also post a picture of the dji assistant 2 connected to the drone. Hope you succeed.

Attachments

• IMG_20230202_193740.jpg
    IMG_20230202_193740.jpg
    8.2 MB · Views: 181
  • IMG_20230202_194558.jpg
    IMG_20230202_194558.jpg
    8.1 MB · Views: 159
  • IMG_20230202_194616.jpg
    IMG_20230202_194616.jpg
    7.9 MB · Views: 141
  • IMG_20230202_195440.jpg
    IMG_20230202_195440.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 154
@Dredan72
Thank you for the screenshots!
And you started out with 0600?

Amazing, i cannot get the security settings to look as it does for you, maybe that is because of Win11, i have to check.

I will report here.

Ender

@Dredan72
Thank you for the screenshots!
And you started out with 0600?

Amazing, i cannot get the security settings to look as it does for you, maybe that is because of Win11, i have to check.

I will report here.

Ender
I started with 0600. It took a while until I figured out how to get it to 0400. My computer is on windows 10

Last edited:
Reactions: Ender
@Dredan72
Hmm, my .ini contains much more (drones).

Can you tell me which version of Assistant2 do you use?
i dloaded 2.1.15

@Dredan72
Hmm, my .ini contains much more (drones).

Can you tell me which version of Assistant2 do you use?
i dloaded 2.1.15
I think i wasn't clear somewhere. My mistake. Right click on default settings. ini. Go to security and edit for everyone. Hope this time it works. My assistant is V2.1.9.8

To all of you:
I was in chat contact with @Dredan72 to know all maybe missing details and we even syncronized the exact same DJI Assistant version but it will not work for me.
So to us it is a miracle why it worked for him and not for me.

I guess i am giving up for now.

Very very much kudos to Dredan72 for relentlessly trying to help me!!!

Ender

To all of you:
I was in chat contact with @Dredan72 to know all maybe missing details and we even syncronized the exact same DJI Assistant version but it will not work for me.
So to us it is a miracle why it worked for him and not for me.

I guess i am giving up for now.

Very very much kudos to Dredan72 for relentlessly trying to help me!!!

Ender
I am very sorry it didn't work out for you. I really hoped that you would succeed. I will keep on trying to find what I did differently. One last thing. I am not logged into assistant and data authorization is off. 🙏

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121