DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini: 2.7K/30fps clips: seeing sub-par quality & "jitter" on a 4K monitor. Please check out this short sample.

Underwaterguy

Reactions
Hi, This short clip is straight off my micro-SD card. The foliage (especially noticeable in pine trees) - seems to have a low quality "jitter" or the look of a streamed video that can't buffer at full quality so it's not crisp to the eye. If anyone has any thoughts on why it doesn't look crisp and clean - or suggestions on how to deal with the clips in FCX to make them look better, I'd appreciate any advice. I uploaded the 48mb clip to Google Drive (DJI_0190-TEST.mp4) Thanks! (PS: Finding that the clip isn't loading in a Google page for viewing, but the clip can be downloaded and then opened to watch. If someone has a better way to attach a video file for viewing, please advise for next time...)

Looks fine to my eye when viewed on my iPad Pro. What device are you viewing it on?

It's a new LG 27UL500-W 27" 16:9 4K HDR FreeSync IPS Monitor. If I've got the settings set up incorrectly, I'd love to know that it's the monitor and not the footage that's actually sub-par.

The clip loads ready to play. I do not see any jitter. Video segment looks fine.

makes me question your playback device.

It's a new LG 27UL500-W 27" 16:9 4K HDR FreeSync IPS Monitor. If I've got the settings set up incorrectly, I'd love to know that it's the monitor and not the footage that's actually sub-par.
It could be the computer. Is it capable for high resolution video playback?

Also loads & plays perfectly for me.
Looks like it could be your PC, can you play other clips OK ?

I'm on a late 2013 15" MacBook Pro, 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB ram. Note that 1920x1080 clips from my Canon 5Dmk3 look fine. I'm new to 2.7K editing.

To Paul regarding the "only 40MB/Sec which the mini delivers." Could you expand on that? Are you saying the 2.7K video being recorded is more than the processor on the mini can handle smoothly?

Another question: I'm editing in Final Cut Pro in a 1920x1080 timeline which (as far as I understand) allows for cropping in on clips around 25% without degrading the image. If anyone has thoughts or tips on best workflows for clearest output of final 1080p video, please share them. Thanks!

Also looked good to me on an older Samsung Monitor. I would also like to say that the water colors are terrific in that snipet.

Looks crisp and smooth to me viewing on a 32" QHD monitor in Windows 10. Also, I agree with @Camino Ken that the bit rate at which it was recorded shouldn't make it look bad on just one system.

@Underwaterguy - what software are you using to view the clip?

I am at a MacbookPro 15 inch with 1680x1050 pixel Retina.
In Quicktime I can choose "Original size". Then it looks perfect to me.

1. What happens when you look at your video on your 4K screen in "Original Size" (smaller than the screen): do you see jitter then?

2. in FCPX you can just add a clip to your HD timeline and it will (be reduced to and) be exported in HD quality automatically. For "zooming in" you use the crop tool. (I do that all the time with 4K footage and with the 2.7K from the MM). FCPX shows you above the viewer in crop mode how many pixels at the left, right, top and bottom are cut away - you can compute from the 2.7K resolution and your target HD resolution how many pixels there should be outside your visible area.

1. What happens when you look at your video on your 4K screen in "Original Size" (smaller than the screen): do you see jitter then?

2. in FCPX you can just add a clip to your HD timeline and it will (be reduced to and) be exported in HD quality automatically. For "zooming in" you use the crop tool. (I do that all the time with 4K footage and with the 2.7K from the MM). FCPX shows you above the viewer in crop mode how many pixels at the left, right, top and bottom are cut away - you can compute from the 2.7K resolution and your target HD resolution how many pixels there should be outside your visible area.

Hi Emanaku, Re: 1) I've got Quicktime 10.5 and don't see "original size" under "view" as a choice. There is "actual size" but it's greyed-out. "Fit to screen" and "decrease size" are the only available options. What QT version do you have?
Re: 2) Thanks for sharing your workflow. That is exactly what I'm doing with mine. I hadn't noticed the "pixel count" numbers, so that's helpful to know.

Looks crisp and smooth to me viewing on a 32" QHD monitor in Windows 10. Also, I agree with @Camino Ken that the bit rate at which it was recorded shouldn't make it look bad on just one system.

@Underwaterguy - what software are you using to view the clip?
I've been viewing with Quicktime 10.5 and then within Final Cut Pro (in the viewer window, and also "full screen" to check it out at the fullest possible size.

Also looked good to me on an older Samsung Monitor. I would also like to say that the water colors are terrific in that snipet.
I've been very happy with the overall color balance of the Mini. I've been flying over a lot of lakes and ponds in Maine this fall, so the palette is pretty rich.

Hi Emanaku, Re: 1) I've got Quicktime 10.5 and don't see "original size" under "view" as a choice. There is "actual size" but it's greyed-out. "Fit to screen" and "decrease size" are the only available options. What QT version do you have?
The "Actual Size" is only available, if you first choose "Enter Full Screen" :) I have a smaller monitor than the resolution of the movie, so I see then only a part of the movie, but that part is in full resolution 2.7K. In your case with the 4K monitor - I assume - you will see the video smaller than the monitor is, but in the full resolution of the video. Then you should see the "true quality" of the video.

Re: 2) Thanks for sharing your workflow. That is exactly what I'm doing with mine. I hadn't noticed the "pixel count" numbers, so that's helpful to know.
If you just crop (and not use the Ken Burns effect) you can also use the Video Inspector and there the section "Crop" - here you can put the pixels to crop in by hand.

Have fun! :)

The "Actual Size" is only available, if you first choose "Enter Full Screen" :) I have a smaller monitor than the resolution of the movie, so I see then only a part of the movie, but that part is in full resolution 2.7K. In your case with the 4K monitor - I assume - you will see the video smaller than the monitor is, but in the full resolution of the video. Then you should see the "true quality" of the video.

If you just crop (and not use the Ken Burns effect) you can also use the Video Inspector and there the section "Crop" - here you can put the pixels to crop in by hand.

Have fun! :)
Ah, "full screen" then "actual size..." Works great. And thanks for the video inspector with the pixel info.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998