DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MAVIC MINI 2 - UPDATE | Latest Leaked Photos and Spec Info

I have a couple theories and what I suspect may end up being the case when the official specs and reviews get underway in a week.

4K - I suspect since the sensor and the camera seem to be the same based on the people who got the early best buy boxes, that the 4K isn't "native" to the sensor but rather upscaled 2.7K, hoping it isn't the case but if it's the same sensor, that would likely be the case no? Unless there's additional hardware to read the pixels differently (hence not actually the same basic camera).

Level 5 Wind Resistance - I suspect the wind resistance hasn't actually changed from the Mini, but rather field testing of them by consumers showed the Mini could handle a little more than what DJI said was the warranty covered range and decided to extend it in specs after having enough field data to be confident about holding up to it.

Occusync 2.0 - This should have been on the Mini 1 to begin with imo, not for the sake of range, but rather for stability of connection among areas of interference. But I suspect this is new even if most other stuff isn't.

The additional software stuff like Panaromic and such, I would hope to see that possibly included in a firmware update for the MM, unless for some reason the Mini 2 has a different processor all together and the software wouldn't do well with it's predecessor.

I suspect that if there was additional weight elsewhere on the drone, that they shaved it off with the new batteries to keep it at 249g. So I am curious to see if there is much a difference in the batteries from the old one. I know the old batteries are roughly 100g, if the new ones are noticeably less then may point to weight changes elsewhere in the drone.

Things I hope for, but are rather unlikely to happen :
- The ability to purchase the new remote to work with the old Mini, or at the very least the included prop guard (if they are found not to warp the prop blades).
- Firmware updates to have the same 'software' functionality as the new Mini 2
- Some kind of rebate from DJI (if retailers don't do anything) for people who brought the Mini in the last week or two at the regular year's price. (highly doubtful but would be nice :p)
As mentioned elsewhere, the existing Mini sensor produces 12 Mp 4000 x 3000 stills, so the hardware is there, but the processing ability probably isn't, hence the low bit-rate for video. I do wonder if the new Mini 2 will have a higher video than the 40 Mbps existing.
On wind, I too am wondering what they could do. They could increase the maximum pitch which would let the Mini head into wind more aggresively; I've done plenty of wind tests on my channel and heading into winter, I'll be doing that with the Mini 2 as well as frankly I'm intrigued as to how much improvement they can add.
As for the additional functions being rolled out to the existing MM, I'm guessing as you say, the processor limitations may be the reason they won't....
cheers, Ian

Last edited:
May well be the case. As a matter of fact M2P's 4K FOV is just inflated 2.7K :

Hi Bob; It's not a fact at all. The video produced on the 2 Pro may well be softer in FOV but the 2 Pro's 20 Mp sensor is a 5472 × 3648 sensor, capable of producing video far beyond 4k resolution. FOV is using the entire sensor, ie filming in 5.5K, then having to downscale it to a 4K output. That's where the softness comes in, as it doesn't do a great job. Conversely, HQ mode only uses the central section of the sensor, utillising precisely 4000 x 3000 pixels, so there's no downscaling, and therefore no softness.

Jump to 39 secs on this video:
Cheers, Ian

Reactions: Pablo and Pushkur
.....2 Pro's 20 Mp sensor is a 5472 × 3648 sensor....FOV is using the entire sensor, ie filming in 5.5K, then having to downscale it to a 4K output. That's where the softness comes in....
Downsizing from 5.5K to 4K should yield images shaper than those from 5.5K to 2.7K but that's clearly not the case. I am convinced that it's not downsizing but under sampling. 2.7K is half of 5.5K so what need be done is to skip every other pixel.

This is another test I have done comparing 1080p 60fps and 30 fps. Again, under-sampling is done in the 60 fps footage. That's why there are strong moire in the 60 fps footage.

There has been saying that under-sampling is done to reduce heat generated by intensive image processing. The theory makes sense to me.

Downsizing from 5.5K to 4K should yield images shaper than those from 5.5K to 2.7K but that's clearly not the case. I am convinced that it's not downsizing but under sampling. 2.7K is half of 5.5K so what need be done is to skip every other pixel.

This is another test I have done comparing 1080p 60fps and 30 fps. Again, under-sampling is done in the 60 fps footage. That's why there are strong moire in the 60 fps footage.

There has been saying that under-sampling is done to reduce heat generated by intensive image processing. The theory makes sense to me.

Who knows what's actually happening inside the camera, but I stated the 5.5k downscaling based on what I read on P 37 of DJI's User Manual for the 2 Pro:

"For the Mavic 2 Pro, Full FOV down samples from the 5.5K sensor to 4K resolution while HW crops in the center for finer image quality but less FOV. Full FOV view is 75° and HQ view is 55°. You can select between them according to your actual shooting demands."

Are you saying that I can’t travel to any country with a Mavic air 2 or my M2P?

Where did you hear this from ?
Sorry, my translator often fails.

What I meant was that to fly a Mavic Air 2 or a Mavic Pro 2 in another country is usually more difficult because there are more restrictions and it is not so easy in the end.

That's when I said that the power of the mavic mini with its weight of 249gr would help a lot to be able to fly in other countries without any problem.

Of course, from what I've read, some states over there in the US will impose new laws for the mavic mini (or at least that's what I've seen with 249gr drones).

Of course, from what I've read, some states over there in the US will impose new laws for the mavic mini (or at least that's what I've seen with 249gr drones).
Some cities or counties as well, even if the FAA would claim they don't have the authority to control the airspace (they can however dictate what is allowed to take off from, or land onto their grounds).

Here in Michigan, from what I've seen of speculation, especially around grand rapids, is that they're tackling restrictions more on the basis of it being a flying camera, than being an unmanned aircraft. But that's tricky because then you start restricting photography in general in public places.

I hope they went for Sony batteries this time, more power, more mah and lighter.

Sony / Murata VTC6 18650 Battery Specifications:

Nominal Capacity: 3120mAh
Rated Capacity: 3000mAh
Max Continuous Discharge Current for temp. up to 80 degrees Celsius: 30A
Max Continuous Discharge Current: 20A
Nominal Voltage: 3.6V/3.7V
Full charge Voltage: 4.2V
Internal Impedance 13 mΩ measured by AC 1kHz
Diameter 18.45mm max +/- 0.05mm
Length 65mm max +/- 0.05mm
Weight: 47 g Average
Positive terminal: Flat top
Color: Green
Battery Type / shape: 18650 / Cylindrical
Made in Japan
Manufacturer: Sony Energy
Intended use: Power Battery packs

VS

Specifications:
Model: INR18650-30Q
Size: 18650
Style: Flat Top
Chemistry: INR
Nominal Capacity: 3000mAh
Continuous Discharge Rating: 15A
Pulse Discharge Rating: 25A
Nominal Voltage: 3.6V
Protected: No
Rechargeable: Yes
Approximate Dimensions: 18.33mm x 64.85mm
Approximate Weight: 48g

It's a 2S LiPo battery, so they've given up on 18650s.

It's a 2S LiPo battery, so they've given up on 18650s.
If they are using LiPo now, that explain how they keep the weight down. LiPo is lighter battery and in my opinion more powerful and they can make it smart like the others DJI batteries. I hope they make it rights.

If they are using LiPo now, that explain how they keep the weight down. LiPo is lighter battery and in my opinion more powerful and they can make it smart like the others DJI batteries. I hope they make it rights.
It also might explain the higher wind rating, if they can pull more power from the 2S LiPo.

It also might explain the higher wind rating, if they can pull more power from the 2S LiPo.
You are rights. That can explain that. They maybe are pushing more the same motors or may are upgraded. Not sure. We will find out next week. I will be the first customer in the best buy line.

I'll defo be testing out the wind capabilities; but in some ways, it's a shame the batteries will become 'smart' as the existing Mini is "the drone that's always charged and ready to fly". All my other models need planning the day or morning before and charging....

Reactions: zeusfl
Actually they are not LiPo. I just seen in the battery says Li-ion it means they are 18650 just like before. Probably they are using now the Samsung IRN 30Q

Went to my local Best Buy, they don't have it on display, I saw the controller but it was the Air 2 box :D
Me too. I did the same today and they even do not have it in the system and can not tell me if they are going to have it. They told me the drone doesn’t exist that I am probably confused with the mavic air 2

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom