DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini "ESC Beep"

adavis

Reactions
So I'm not sure if this is a 'feature' of the latest firmware for the Mavic Mini, but on landing, I am now getting a message on screen of 'ESC Beep' and the Mini is beeping by modulating one specific motor.

Im wondering if this is what sar104 found in relation to prop issues.

There's no other message, other than 'restart aircraft' in DJI Fly App, and Airdata lists nothing at all.
Ive attached the flight log and DAT if anyone is interested in poking into it.
The mini flys fine with no issues.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2020-05-12_[12-47-51].txt
    614.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 2020-05-12_12-47-05_FLY070.DAT
    2.7 MB · Views: 14
So I'm not sure if this is a 'feature' of the latest firmware for the Mavic Mini, but on landing, I am now getting a message on screen of 'ESC Beep' and the Mini is beeping by modulating one specific motor.

Im wondering if this is what sar104 found in relation to prop issues.

There's no other message, other than 'restart aircraft' in DJI Fly App, and Airdata lists nothing at all.
Ive attached the flight log and DAT if anyone is interested in poking into it.
The mini flys fine with no issues.
I just ran into the same thing .. I did a short flight approximately 10 minutes came in used auto land no issues and immediately upon powering down on its own I got ESC Beeping message and sid to immediately restart..
After latest firmware update I have had a hand full of little oddities like controller not connecting ..

Reactions: adavis
Thanks for the reply Sfin.
What have you done to fix it, or are you getting the esc beep every flight?

Has no-one else experienced this on the mini with latest firmware?

Im just going to go fly again and see if I get it the same, if I do I will replace the props on that motor, fly again, and see if it is repeated.

I might be reading this wrong, but is this DJI's attempt at an early warning alarm for the Uncommanded Descent thing? Beeping the ESC of the motor it thinks is overspeeding?

Problems with Latest Mavic Mini Firmware Update
Only does it after landing and the error simply says "ESC Beep".
When you click in to the error it says to reboot the aircraft to clear the error, no mention of props, so Im not really sure if it is the same, others speak about the error saying to change props.

The ESC Beep is designed to work with the Find My Drone feature. Seems like it's glitching in this circumstance though.
Just got a reply from DJI saying that this is a warning to replace the props.
I dont see it.
If this was the prop warning, surely the message would say to replace the props, and not just restart the aircraft.

Not sure if there is anything in the logs to support that. @sar104 you might want to have a look for you investigation.

Reactions: Sfin
I dont see it.
If this was the prop warning, surely the message would say to replace the props, and not just restart the aircraft.

Not sure if there is anything in the logs to support that. @sar104 you might want to have a look for you investigation.

I did that three weeks ago:

I did that three weeks ago:

Sure, but the error that I am getting is different, it doesnt say anything about replace the props, it says restart the aircraft.

The rain finally let up here and I was able to fly again.
5 minute flight, handled fine, no issues, ESC BEEP on landing.
I changed out the props on the rear left where I thought the beed was coming from and re-flew.
Same ESC BEEP, but I think from the other side, so I change out the props and re-flew.

ESC BEEP is now gone.
What has me scratching my head though, is that attached are some pics of the props that I replaced, fixing the error.
I can not see anything wrong with them.
This puzzles me as it means that we can not determine before flight if there might be problems, unless the answer is to have a short 'safe' flight first, and look for the error.

The other conceptiual issue that I have is that this will mean needing to have at least one full set of replacement props hanging around all the time.
Seems like a good money spinner ;-)

So I then put the 'bad' props back on and re-flew, and the ESC BEEP did not return.

Confusing

Attachments

• IMG_9905.jpg
    IMG_9905.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_9908.jpg
    IMG_9908.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9907.jpg
    IMG_9907.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9906.jpg
    IMG_9906.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
This puzzles me as it means that we can not determine before flight if there might be problems, unless the answer is to have a short 'safe' flight first, and look for the error.

Well if it's an overspeed thing, then the drone itself cannot determine it before flight, so that makes sense. A warning on the app screen in real time would be a good idea I would have thought.

The other conceptiual issue that I have is that this will mean needing to have at least one full set of replacement props hanging around all the time.
Seems like a good money spinner ;-)

I think most people would have a set of replacement props in their kit anyway really.

So I then put the 'bad' props back on and re-flew, and the ESC BEEP did not return.
Confusing

This seems odd. Perhaps having the props off the aircraft, not under any flight or storage pressure let them recover their shape.

Well if it's an overspeed thing, then the drone itself cannot determine it before flight, so that makes sense. A warning on the app screen in real time would be a good idea I would have thought.

That was what I was thinking, if they can detect an off nominal parameter, tell me while the drone is in the air and then I can land.

I think most people would have a set of replacement props in their kit anyway really.

Yes, I get that, and I do as well, but there was nothing physically wrong with the props that I could see, so a visual inspection wouldnt tell you. If there is something odd about the props, then they could be not usable at any time.
It would seem that you would need multiple replacements in that case.

This seems odd. Perhaps having the props off the aircraft, not under any flight or storage pressure let them recover their shape.

Nope, I have had the Mini out of the case for about a week now, so there was no deformation.

Reactions: bigswifty
My wild guess it is a qc problem, not a fw issue, as mine had that issue out of the box.
My story in brief: Bought a new MM some weeks ago and before first flight both the drone and tx were updated from 1.00.40 to 1.00.50.
During the first flight I did not pay attention to my phone screen at all due to shooting conditions but when Id landed the left rear beeped and I thought of some overheat issue but we had to wrap it up leave.
Second session was on a very calm evening shortly before sunset. I took off gently and went thru some settings with the drone hovering for a minute or so. Then I climbed to some 10-15 ft but when I then started to push it I got the yellow dialog from the app. But I did not read it beccause I thought the light was insufficent and I could hear some inconsequential sound and stared at the drone while gently taking it in for landing. It sounded like somewhere in between a stalling prop before fluttering. It never flutterred, but have you eg ever flown any indoor 3D plane with a 2S setup on 3S you've might have encountered something like that.
Well, my first thought was Ive somehow cracked a prop in transport or something. Took it down and examined all props but they were all as new. Second flight and this time I read the yellow popup stuff about an over-revving motor. Landed and went thru the props again and did actually make a 3rd attempt after rebooting everything. Same result of course, could fly around floating on air, but as soon as I tried to push it I could hear the sound from the props was sinister and landed again.
At home I couldnt find any damage on the props but when gently lifting the drone prop by prop I could see the ccw's felt thinner and bent more so I ordered new props.
Still waiting for new props and havent been fiddling with the MM since, as I usually shoot with the Mavic Air and do leisure flying with some FPV and 3D drones.

Well, I havent had time for any deeper examination, thats it, but then I found this thread and it suddenly seems like a qc issue or something - dji should have alerted as every drone has to be registered anyway. The prop design is a bit weak, Id rather seen something like the spark or mavic air qr props instead. An issue like this could eg cause nice flyaways or submarines, as I usually have some water involved when filming.

My consideration : Dont fly with the issue present. Its nasty. Havent had issues on drones but on planes with props cracking, nose and/ or motor flown away etc.

Last edited:
I dont see it.

Ahh ?.... Thats a nice little nugget of useful information...
Are you sure it was DJI who told you that? ?
.....Must be a glitch in the Matrix...

My wild guess it is a qc problem, not a fw issue, as mine had that issue out of the box.

For some reason, I dont get the generic error any more, but the more specific "replace prop on beeping motor" one.
I flew again on the original props that were giving the errors previously then not giving the error and now got the error again.
I replaced the props with the new ones again and now it is all fine, no warnings.

Who knows, its all odd.

My Mini has the new firmware and the GoFly app is up to date (as of yesterday). I've never seen that message and I've never noticed any sinister prop sounds. I currently have a "bent prop" (see that thread here) but no messages to replace prop and no "esc beep" messages. FWIW
Happy flying

My Mini has the new firmware and the GoFly app is up to date (as of yesterday). I've never seen that message and I've never noticed any sinister prop sounds. I currently have a "bent prop" (see that thread here) but no messages to replace prop and no "esc beep" messages. FWIW
Happy flying
Is that prop on the front or the back, as I i think that the warnings are only relevant for the rear props.

mine is on the right rear. I've been flying with it, including some windy conditions and some high(ish) altitude. No problem that I can tell. (that I can tell...)

Reactions: adavis
For balancing reasons the left motor has to work a little harder than the others that's why it usually happens on the left.

And if it beeps with -motor speed error- you shouldn't ignore the problem, it's not a glitch, and be aware that MM props are very delicate and can be bent out of shape very easily, even by resting the mavic Mini closed up or down, or storing it inside any pouch. Visual inspections are very difficult to carry unless you have a very trained eye. In the DJI Forum we do hover tests to check props status.

Among the very few safe places to store a Mini there's the Fly Moro combo case with the bump underneath in the central slatted part of the drone, take extra care to never pinch the blades between the bump and the Mini's body, keeping them bundled together. Extra accessories can relieve this problem.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom