DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic mini FCC controller

Justinvdw12

Reactions
Hello everyone,

Is it possible to use the MR1SS5 (FCC) remote controller with the EU version of the Mavic Mini (1).

If so, whould it give any better range or stability for my MM? I can barely reach 200 meters at my house in the city.

Thanks in advance.

The Mini 1 drone comes in 2 models (not considering the Japanese version) ... one intended for CE markets & one for the FCC market.

The difference between them is that the FCC model only have the ability to control the drone over the 5,8GHz band ... the CE version can be used with both the 2,4 & 5,8GHz bands.

The spec for the 2 models is according to below ...
  • Model # MT1SS5. – 5.8 GHz: <30 dBm (FCC); <28 dBm (SRRC)
  • Model # MT1SD25. – 2.4 GHz: <19 dBm (MIC/CE) – 5.8 GHz: <14 dBm (CE)
The signal strength isn't regulated by which model you have ... or which controller you use. It all depends on where you are when the Mini logs it's GPS position.

So both models will use a higher signal strength (dBm) if they are flown is US for instance ... & both will use a lower strength if flown in Europe.

Mixing equipment (controllers) between the models will not give you FCC strength in a CE area.

Search for Mavic Mini FCC hack here in the forum or in Google instead ... one example below for instance.

Thanks for explaining. Makes sense. Pretty annoying to do every time i want to fly, i think i'll get some stronger antennae for the remote. Thanks

Thanks for explaining. Makes sense. Pretty annoying to do every time i want to fly, i think i'll get some stronger antennae for the remote. Thanks
Try this if you don't want to do a RC antenna conversion. It will do the FCC hack easily..

If you are willing to do the RC conversion then Alientech and 4hawks have good alternatives. I've used both and both are good.

Try this if you don't want to do a RC antenna conversion. It will do the FCC hack easily..

If you are willing to do the RC conversion then Alientech and 4hawks have good alternatives. I've used both and both are good.
Thank you. I'll look into it. I'll try the FCC 'hack' first. See if it gives me any more range.

Thank you. I'll look into it. I'll try the FCC 'hack' first. See if it gives me any more range.
The 2 most range destroying factors is WiFi disturbance & going out of line of sight (not visual ... instead getting something in between the RC & the Mini).

If flying from an urban area it will always be WiFi disturbance ... especially on the 2,4GHz band, switching to the 5,8GHz band can make wonders then.

If standing relatively close & being surrounded by one or two story houses for instance (distance to you like 50-70m) means that you just after a couple hundred meters distance out with the Mini needs to ascend up to over 100m in order not being shielded by the house roofs (you're going out of line of sight otherwise.) It's similar with trees ... & trees becomes even better on shielding the RC signal when they get leaves.

Any of these 2 factors that can come into play where you fly?

Hello everyone,

Is it possible to use the MR1SS5 (FCC) remote controller with the EU version of the Mavic Mini (1).

If so, whould it give any better range or stability for my MM? I can barely reach 200 meters at my house in the city.

Thanks in advance.
Your best bet would be the FCC mod. You cannot mix FCC RC with CE drone. Are you on iOS or Android?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000