DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini Fly Away. 8000ft?

chad1

Reactions
Hello,

I am another new owner of a Mavic Mini who has had the unfortunate misfortune of a flyaway. I have uploaded the flight logs to phantomhelp for viewing.

As I am very new, I am wondering if this fly-away was the result of pilot error. From my point of view, the drone ascended without input from me and flew away, never to be recovered.

Any input or help at all would be very appreciated as today was a total bummer as I have lost my drone
sad.gif

Part 1:

Part 2:

Thank you for the help.

Hello,

I am another new owner of a Mavic Mini who has had the unfortunate misfortune of a flyaway. I have uploaded the flight logs to phantomhelp for viewing.

As I am very new, I am wondering if this fly-away was the result of pilot error. From my point of view, the drone ascended without input from me and flew away, never to be recovered.

Any input or help at all would be very appreciated as today was a total bummer as I have lost my drone
sad.gif

Part 1:

Part 2:

Thank you for the help.
You should delete the duplicate post .. one is enough.
It would help if you could give a little more explanation of what you observed and point out what joystick mode you used.

Hello,

The long straight line track of the drone is usually a clue that we're looking at a blow-away situation.

Your Mini was showing altitude instability and gaining and losing altitude without any joystick input.
For example at 3:59 you tried to descend, giving it full negative throttle, but the drone climbed about 40 feet.
From 5:05.6 to 5:13.8, it descended 70 feet without any joystick input.

Yours became worse during the flight and started and climbing/descending a lot.
From 6:00 to 6:32 it climbed from 208 ft to 468 ft without any joystick input.
Later things have gone out of control and the drone has climbed and climbed going to crazy heights, ignoring autodescent and climbing higher where the wind is much stronger than down at ground level and the drone has blown away.
At the end of the first part of the flight log the drone is >5000 ft up, >4000 ft away and being blown further at 20 mph.

It continued climbing, ending up at >8000 ft and being blown further at >25 mph when the data ends with the battery down to 4%.
Not long after, the battery will have failed and the drone fallen to earth further to the southeast.

I'll look a little deeper to see if I can find a reason for the uncontrolled climbing.

The cause of the uncontrolled climbing is a mystery.
I can't spot anything obvious in the flight data.
I'd pass this case off to DJI for them to look into.
It looks like a definite malfunction and I would expect it to be a warranty case with the flight data supporting this even without being able to find the wreckage.

Synch your flight data and start a conversation with DJI's online support people to get things started.

Not offering expert technical advise here (way beyond my experience grade in this forum) but it appears that the Mini's brains got fried there. How and why, I am beginning to wonder if weather conditions, geographic position, other environmental situations could have caused this?

It should be an undisputed warranty claim (is it still within the warranty period?) and you should get a new replacement Mini.

Sorry for your loss and I know how much of a bummer this can be.

I am beginning to wonder if weather conditions, geographic position, other environmental situations could have caused this?
None of those cannot cause this sort of thing.
The problem was inside the drone rather than outside it.

Reactions: RMS001
thanks for the replys everyone. yes i was totally bummed out today but hearing it might not be totally my fault is making me feel a little better.

i was using mode 2 for controls i believe.

i am sorry for the questions, but how would I go about and start the process for a potential replacement if it was not indeed my fault? i had purchased from amazon about a month ago.

thanks for all the help everyone

thanks for the replys everyone. yes i was totally bummed out today but hearing it might not be totally my fault is making me feel a little better.

i am sorry for the questions, but how would I go about and start the process for a potential replacement if it was not indeed my fault? i had purchased from amazon about a month ago.

thanks for all the help everyone
Give this a whirl. Contact them through this and explain what happened they will take it from there. Don't give more info than they need. Short and sweet. ;) Just tell them the thing just climbed out to 8000' with no control. They will want logs. :)

Last edited:
Give this a whirl. Contact them through this and explain what happened they will take it from there. Don't give more info than they need. Short and sweet. ;)

thanks! appreciate the help. hope i can get back in the sky soon!

It was something else, but that doesn't matter.
As I got into the data I worked out which stick did what.
It was just confusing to start with

Reactions: RMS001
None of those cannot cause this sort of thing.
The problem was inside the drone rather than outside it.
Wild theory or speculation: if a drone jammer was nearby and directed at it, what kind of flight profile will the drone have? ?

Wild theory or speculation: if a drone jammer was nearby and directed at it, what kind of flight profile will the drone have? ?
it's an interesting theory but i had previous flights down the road with no issues. as in, less than 100m from where i had previously flown with no issues.

Depends on what kind of jammer...IF a RF Jammer which is what is basically known as a Drone Jammer...It would simply RTH.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Its interesting because on the Mini 2 before the last update when we covered the Sensors on the bottom of the Drone with the Rescue Jacket the Drone went straight up non stop but came down on Auto Land .

Another Forum member did the same test with similar results.

After the last update that behavior changed . So im thinking the Sensor got confused on the Mini now that I no this can happen... Will follow this thread to see if the OP keeps us posted.

Phantomrain.org
Coal

Its interesting because on the Mini 2 before the last update when we covered the Sensors on the bottom of the Drone with the Rescue Jacket the Drone went straight up non stop but came down on Auto Land .

Another Forum member did the same test with similar results.

After the last update that behavior changed . So im thinking the Sensor got confused on the Mini now that I no this can happen... Will follow this thread to see if the OP keeps us posted.

Phantomrain.org
Coal
i will definitely keep everyone updated. i am also dumb apparently....what is the best direction to file my report? i'm looking at the dji support page and am unsure what the best way to submit my issue is...thanks

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
i will definitely keep everyone updated. i am also dumb apparently....what is the best direction to file my report? i'm looking at the dji support page and am unsure what the best way to submit my issue is...thanks
Wait till you can talk to a Chat Rep on the DJI sight and than let him walk you thru the steps, be prepared for a lot emails back and fourth and there going to want not only the logs but the cash video is you have it.

Reactions: NedKelly
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest