DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic mini flying through power cables

Power cables are notoriously hard to see! You're not the first to post a video with a cable getting uncomfortably close.

Fortunately the towers or poles that support them are easier to spot, so they're the things to look out for. Good pilots never stop learning.

Happy flying!

How did you not see the pylons?!! And why keep flying back to them?!!

Lines are hard to see, pylons are not! I fly to the height of the pylon (gimbal at 0 degrees) and set RTH accordingly.

Lesson learnt, glad you didn't hit them ;)

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
How did you not see the pylons?!! And why keep flying back to them?!!
Its dificult to explained.. i was 100-150m from them, and from that distance it look like u are 500m from them :) there was some bush that interferes with mine line of sight..
problem was because i was with my friend and we were talking (i was distracted a little) and in first flight I DIDNT SAW CABLES on my phone, Low battery warning saved me, i stopped and decade to RTH and switch battery, and i seriusly think that if that low batt. Alarm didnt sound i would go right into lines..
On second attempt, i was going back on same spot looking for that truck, it was too late when i saw power lines on my phone (iphone 7 = small screen) becouse i was right on top of them, and you can all se i go through them.. this time i was lucky becouse i somehow gone thorugh them and in critical time (when i saw all this on my phone screen in live) i didnt panic (dint tuch my up/down control) just how i got in that position just go reverse..
i know i wrote a essay here, but that day will my MM celebrate as second birthday ?

I passed through wires that I also did not see till I played my video back. These were low wires and the sun was such that I could not see them.

Attachments

• 2020_04_04_17_51_58_1.gif
    2020_04_04_17_51_58_1.gif
    3.6 MB · Views: 40
Reactions: Sallee
That is one lucky Mini.

Happened to me once (I didn't pass and realized cables were there just a handful of meters before) after which I decided I'll never fly again in a condition that will likely to put my eyesight through its paces like that.

Now... whenever I have to do a low pass I explore the zone by foot if can and tend to operate completely in vLoS. Some towers go as high as 80 or 90 meters into the sky.

Thanks people, it was pure luck.. hope i wont come in same situation.. and i advise also besades paying attention to dron and maintain VLOS to have bigger phone or even tablet while flying and looking through fly app, it helps definitely

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimwinter