DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini lost...devastated. Please help.

It turns out to be an unreasonably large search area, and that is with some assumptions. Most notably I've assumed that the aircraft was able to achieve the specified pitch forwards, which was not clear from the flight data up to disconnect because most of the flight was backwards. But if it switched to failsafe RTH then it will have rotated to face the home point. Anyway, based on the nominal RTH speed of 8 m/s and the range of wind speeds estimated from the flight, that leaves the following 0.4 km² area for the aircraft location at autoland:

View attachment 96486

@sar104 thank you for the work you’ve put in to help find the MM. Much appreciated.

The weather is good today so I’ll be heading out shortly to search again.

Such a large search area.

It's scenarios like this why my Mavic has the bright orange MAS props. Make it easier to spot from a distance. And orange is my favorite color. ?

20200305_192655-01-removebg-preview-02-01-01.jpeg

Also I put my cell phone number on the drone with a text on sticker "reward if found". I don't have much faith that someone would return it to me vs. taking it to a pawn shop, but you never know...

Reactions: AerialTom
Today I lost my mavic mini, only a week since buying it. What did I do wrong?

I was in the process of manually flying the drone back towards the home point then suddenly all connection was cut off. I waited to see if I could re-establish contact with the drone but nothing happened.

What likely happened to the drone?

Was I flying too high?

Why wasn’t I able to re-establish connection? I lost connection once but was able to reconnect. At this point I decided to turn back.

On my way back I had strong GPS coverage and wifi signal, as shown in the video.

Below is a youtube video of the flight data.

Mavic Mini Flight Data

Many thanks.

You had the thing barely a week and already you're flying in high winds at a high altitude and at great distance? I'm not at all surprised your Mavic is gone.

"Sometimes it does disconnect and the only way to re-gain app control is to detach the USB OTG cable at one end and plug it back in."

I got this issue too when I started flying my Mavic pro (frequent loss of connection), until I realized that my phone was not turned on flight mode. Since this time, having my phone in flight mode, I do not have RC disconnection anymore.

AerialTom: did you turn your RC in flight mode ?

Today I lost my mavic mini, only a week since buying it. What did I do wrong?

I was in the process of manually flying the drone back towards the home point then suddenly all connection was cut off. I waited to see if I could re-establish contact with the drone but nothing happened.

What likely happened to the drone?

Was I flying too high?

Why wasn’t I able to re-establish connection? I lost connection once but was able to reconnect. At this point I decided to turn back.

On my way back I had strong GPS coverage and wifi signal, as shown in the video.

Below is a youtube video of the flight data.

Mavic Mini Flight Data

Many thanks.
When flying at that height your drone could be in 100 kph winds. When the battery got weak and forced the drone to land, it was too high and in too much wind to land safely. Plus, your drone is using maximum battery power against the wind.

"Sometimes it does disconnect and the only way to re-gain app control is to detach the USB OTG cable at one end and plug it back in."

I got this issue too when I started flying my Mavic pro (frequent loss of connection), until I realized that my phone was not turned on flight mode. Since this time, having my phone in flight mode, I do not have RC disconnection anymore.

AerialTom: did you turn your RC in flight mode ?

My phone in flight mode? Always have it on flight mode when flying.

Hi all-- by 'flight mode' do you mean having the phone in airplane mode, i.e. no data connection on the phone ?

So, about 1 week ago I heard back from DJI after opening a case about the flyaway. They said that they would offer me 30% off another Mavic Mini - just the drone itself, no accessories.

@resxeth Yeah - WiFi, mobile data all turned off. It means less interference with the WiFi transmission from the RC to the Mini

So, about 1 week ago I heard back from DJI after opening a case about the flyaway. They said that they would offer me 30% off another Mavic Mini - just the drone itself, no accessories.

So, I take it a couple of weeks since the searching, you've given up hope ?
(That WAS a darn nice view, by the way !)

That's probably going to work out a fairly cheap lesson there Tom, take them up on it, and let us know how much the bird alone cost is . . . it will show just what portion cost DJI regard the actual drone is in a package pricing.

Are they offering same deal on the lost battery ?
I hope so, as you might as well get that, even if you own the flymore, that 3rd battery is good to have.

So, I take it a couple of weeks since the searching, you've given up hope ?
(That WAS a darn nice view, by the way !)

That's probably going to work out a fairly cheap lesson there Tom, take them up on it, and let us know how much the bird alone cost is . . . it will show just what portion cost DJI regard the actual drone is in a package pricing.

Are they offering same deal on the lost battery ?
I hope so, as you might as well get that, even if you own the flymore, that 3rd battery is good to have.

Yeah, given up hope. Huge search area, it was always going to be a needle in a haystack.

I actually bought another one. I managed to sell the controller I had and put it towards a new Mini. A few days after buying the drone DJI got back to me explaining their analysis on the flight data and what they could offer. I sent them an email asking them if the 30% was off the drone itself or the standard price of £369. They said they would send me an accurate quotation if I provided my payment & shipping details, but I never got round to it.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Ah well, you're back in the air.
Hopefully no more problems, now you know the limits of the Mini.
Also to keep it close and fly under the drone code 400' agl, VLOS etc, saves another episode, and makes the sky safer all round.
All the best with the flights now, some great countryside there no doubt.

Ah well, you're back in the air.
Hopefully no more problems, now you know the limits of the Mini.
Also to keep it close and fly under the drone code 400' agl, VLOS etc, saves another episode, and makes the sky safer all round.
All the best with the flights now, some great countryside there no doubt.

Yep, I’ve been super careful. Lol.

There’s really no need to go higher than 120m anyway, especially for such a small drone.

I’m very grateful to have views like this just off my doorstep..

18ADEFE7527B226CF840A77151737FAC.jpg

Yeah, now I know the Mini’s limits. I will know better for next time.
The pilot should know their own limits too... we are all in this together, we will get regulated out of the sky faster if rules are ignored. Better luck next time, and be safe(r). Sorry for your loss all the same.

My Mini has been reliable, but with reports of insufficient power and uncommanded descent, I've been Leary of flying it over water.

When flying at that height your drone could be in 100 kph winds. When the battery got weak and forced the drone to land, it was too high and in too much wind to land safely. Plus, your drone is using maximum battery power against the wind.
Binevenagh at that height, pardon me but even on a calm day that's madness (in so many ways).... Such a fabulous location, but so windy.

Glad to hear you are doing more lower flights! And glad to see you have a replacement.

As others mentioned, a mini up around 400+meters is not a winning move.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143