DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic mini lost in mountains

Brtak

Reactions
Hello,

after four years of filming in mountains in high altitudes, my drone dissapeared. If you could give me your thoughts what went wrong based on description and flight log I would be very happy, even if this does not bring the drone back.

I was filming in Austria about 2200 metres above sea level. There was no GSM singal form my iphone. Drone was connected to 10 satelites so normal take off conditions were met. During the flight there was a warning text "GPS Position Mismatch" but flight could normally continue. Then i tried to make a different angle shot and maybe crashed into the big wall. Black screen appeared, connection lost info and that was all. I couldnt start the "find my drone" procedures because the controller wasnt connected to drone so only last known location was avalliable but there was nothing.

If you could look at the log and try to help me with identification whats happened..

Thanks,
Ondra

• Sad
Reactions: oztx
In other map view, it looks like the drone was flying towards a slope, was it?
At a distance of 215m you may have had slight of the drone, if so how close was it to any slope?
There is some way in one or more of the Google Earths or Google Maps to plot a representation of the height, AGL, on the to-the-side satellite view but I don't know how to do it.
Impressive terrain.
Stargate fan by any chance?

Reactions: Brtak
During the flight there was a warning text "GPS Position Mismatch" but flight could normally continue.
This is a common false alarm and had no impact on the flight.
Then i tried to make a different angle shot and maybe crashed into the big wall. Black screen appeared, connection lost info and that was all.
When signal was lost, you were flying in Sport Mode toward a mountain.
The drone was approximately 92 metres higher than the launch point and flying at 8.5 metres/sec.
At this point it was very close to the slope you were flying towards.
Google Earth elevations aren't perfectly accurate, but they indicate the ground elevation where signal was lost to be 85 metres higher than the launch point.
Because of the small inaccuracy in the barometric height of the drone and that of Google Earth elevations, we can't be certain about how high the drone was above the ground at that point, but we can tell it was close.
We can also see that the terrain that the drone was flying towards was rising higher.

i-Vjrmk5Z-X2.jpg

Your recorded flight data shows one extra piece of information.
The VPS height indicated the drone was 9.6 metres for the final second of flight, but the last line of data shows a VPS height of 1.5 metres.

The drone was flying southwest (243°) but the camera was not facing the direction of flight.
It was pointing northwest at 334°, so you wouldn't have seen how close it was to the rocks it was heading towards.
With the drone very close to the rocky slope, flying at 8.5 metres/sec and the camera not facing the direction of flight, it's pretty clear that the drone hit the slope at about the time the data ends.

Uuum where is the log or a link to it?

The drone was approximately 92 metres higher than the launch point and flying at 8.5 metres/sec.
Google Earth elevations aren't perfectly accurate, but they indicate the ground elevation where signal was lost to be 85 metres higher than the launch point.
Because of the small inaccuracy in the barometric height of the drone and that of Google Earth elevations, we can't be certain about how high the drone was above the ground at that point, but we can tell it was close.
We can also see that the terrain that the drone was flying towards was rising higher.

i-Vjrmk5Z-X2.jpg

The VPS height indicated the drone was 9.6 metres for the final second of flight, but the last line of data shows a VPS height of 1.5 metres.

The drone was flying southwest (243°) but the camera was not facing the direction of flight.
It was pointing northwest at 334°, so you wouldn't have seen how close it was to the rocks it was heading towards.
With the drone very close to the rocky slope, flying at 8.5 metres/sec and the camera not facing the direction of flight, it's pretty clear that the drone hit the slope at about the time the data ends.

i-Vjrmk5Z-X2.jpg

Hello, thank you so much for your analysis! I agree that the drone crashed into the rocky face but I'm confused about two data facts.
Signal lost moment: that is also the moment when the last frame of my footage was recorded but that was near the area where was only snow, so when the drone would crash there I assume it should still be connected to the contorler and was able to start making noise and flashing. Do you think that only possibile outcome is situation when the battery would be disconnected after the impact and the drone was shut down?
Last recorded location: it seems that after the signal lost moment, drone continued by straight line which seems not probabble as i had the sticks in the same position. Last recorded location is 47.182222, 11.062608 which is far more in the rocky section than last frame. Does this information is somehow calculated or transferred by RC connection as the camera signal was already lost?

thank you

Last recorded location: it seems that after the signal lost moment, drone continued by straight line which seems not probabble as i had the sticks in the same position.
I'm not sure what you are saying here.
We know where the drone was when signal was lost (and we know it was just about to hit the slope).
We have nothing to suggest that it continued anywhere after that.
Last recorded location is 47.182222, 11.062608 which is far more in the rocky section than last frame. Does this information is somehow calculated or transferred by RC connection as the camera signal was already lost?
The last recorded location was 47.18223 11.06262.
That was where the drone was the last time it had a signal connection.
I know nothing about rocks or snow or any last frame.

Reactions: GFields
that is also the moment when the last frame of my footage was recorded but that was near the area where was only snow, so when the drone would crash there I assume it should still be connected to the contorler and was able to start making noise and flashing.
You might have lost video a couple of seconds before losing the signal. So you were still pushing the stick, the drone was flying towards the rocks, but you didn't see it.

Reactions: Brtak
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22