DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini range problems

maxb

Reactions
Hey guys got a mavic mini when I was working in Shenzhen China a couple of weeks ago and it’s the FCC version. I’m having real problems with the range on it before I lost signal though! I can only get about 300m before I lose the picture In China and now back in england? Sometimes I get weak signal or signal lost then aircraft has lost connection. And if it’s returning to home it can take a long time to get the picture back almost until it starts decending... not sure if I have a faulty one? Any ideas?
Thankyou

If you are flying in built up areas with strong wi-fi around there isn’t much to do. Try to fly outside cities and see if there is any differents.

Hate to ask but are the RC antenna unfolded aiming up? Flat toward drone. Sorry, any warnings? Has to be something with the antennas or poor signal, can’t be much else. Good luck.

My Mavic mini gets to around 1800 feet away and then the signal cuts out. I'm wondering if my drone is defective or the controller/ antenna is. I live in the middle of nowhere in Maine so there's no interference.

It’s not just you. My mini is doing the same thing. It will get to where it’s going with no problems but then all of a sudden the signal starts to fade and the video feed will cut out. I’m flying over water in Hawaii, not the built up Waikiki area so I know it’s not a lot of signal interference.
I just came home and installed the latest update thinking maybe this will solve the problem, but I also came to the forums to see if I was the only one having this issue.

yea, I know, I use those too with no luck. It’s happened 2 out of the 3 times I’ve flown this week alone. Confidence is not very high with the Mini.

now back in england
IIRC the FCC version only operates with reduced power in CE regions like England - and it has no 2.4GHz band to use as alternative...

Besides that you won't have to rely on the picture transmission anyway as you are always flying VLOS, right? ;)

300-350m is about right in populated areas on flat land with trees\building and stuff when you fly low 20m or so. I doubt you can fly further and still respecting VLOS rules.

Reactions: Louis08
I recently bought mavic mini couple days ago, sometimes if i climb to hill i get up to 700m range, but in city 300-400m, im not living in populated area, its a little village with 1000 people, not much wifi antenas etc. Im on 5.8ghz, will i get longer distance with 2.4ghz ?

will i get longer distance with 2.4ghz ?
I'd assume so. 5 GHz signal is easily disturbed by almost any object between sender and receiver.

Reactions: puksion
I recently bought mavic mini couple days ago, sometimes if i climb to hill i get up to 700m range, but in city 300-400m, im not living in populated area, its a little village with 1000 people, not much wifi antenas etc. Im on 5.8ghz, will i get longer distance with 2.4ghz ?

Don't know if the analogy is correct, but I can say from Navy experience that the long range surface search radars (rf energy) can pick up planes and ships many miles away, but can't "see" a periscope 5k yards away. But the fire control radars (higher frequency) have shorter range, but with much higher resolution, allowing them to see the periscope through the "ground clutter" of sea waves.

This Is because of ducting, and trapping. Radar waves either bending and following the curvature of the earth bouncing from the earth and the atmosphere, or being trapped at a certain height and not being allowed to leave.
AG1 Boonpop ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claybird