DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini Range Tests - FCC : 2380/3854 meters (5.8Ghz) - CE : 610/517 meters (2.4 GHz)

Great find! It's reassuring to see CE distances >1km, even if it's under perfect conditions.

Firstly, it's not a claim - it's a fact. DJI knows which units they have sent for sale in which region and it's recorded with the serial number.

So, units shipped for sale in the US will have to go back to the US repair center, units sent for sale in Asia will have to go back to the Asian repair center and so on. There are many threads on this forum by people that have bought units in other territories whilst traveling and been annoyed that they can't get it repaired in their home region.

Similarly, people have been charged with import duty. You just need to do a search of the forum.

Don't believe me? Read this:

Or, this:

Or, this:

As for tax - you have to be able to prove you paid an import tax when you bought it in order to benefit from not pay tax in the first place. A lot of international dealers are unauthorized so will usually send the packaged marked as a gift to get around it. So, no VAT will have been paid.

I know this from painful experience. I bought a Canon 60D as a grey import and when it failed after two months it would have cost me the same as a new camera to get it repaired as the warranty wasn't valid.
The potential issues with grey market products and warranty claims is familiar to most I would suspect- as might be VAT and customs processes. In any case neither are relevant to your claim or the question. Why would the fact a mavic mini that is type approved for operation in the USA (FCC complied) need to be sent to DJI USA for service?

As to warranty issues generally almost every manufacturer will only afford coverage to the original purchaser within the region of sale. This is the reality of our online commerce world and most will have this experience at some point. It doesn't mean you can't have it repaired by the manufacturer outside the region of purchase, simply that it will be at the customers cost.

The potential issues with grey market products and warranty claims is familiar to most I would suspect- as might be VAT and customs processes. In any case neither are relevant to your claim or the question. Why would the fact a mavic mini that is type approved for operation in the USA (FCC complied) need to be sent to DJI USA for service?

As to warranty issues generally almost every manufacturer will only afford coverage to the original purchaser within the region of sale. This is the reality of our online commerce world and most will have this experience at some point. It doesn't mean you can't have it repaired by the manufacturer outside the region of purchase, simply that it will be at the customers cost.
At no point did I say it couldn’t be repaired. I said clearly you’d have to ship it back to the region the unit was intended by DJI to be sold in.

I was excited about the mini but living in Australia i'm going to get the CE version. With the Air and Spark we were able to get around the CE changing to FCC so the drones actually fly properly without dropouts and RTH after a couple of hundred metres. But the mini and remote seem to be built in with either FCC or CE mode so it's not just a software thing that can be bypassed. I think this will be a deal breaker for me. I'll wait and see how people find the drone in CE mode but I know from past experience CE mode sucks. I understand why DJI have done this. It's the law outside of the US. But this is a wifi drone and I will be surprised if it's ok in CE mode. They advertise 4km and with CE you get 500 metres. That's ridiculous. I know everyone said the same thing about the Spark but the difference is we were able to get around the CE and use FCC. Not with the mini... what is everyone else's thoughts?

At no point did I say it couldn’t be repaired. I said clearly you’d have to ship it back to the region the unit was intended by DJI to be sold in.
Thank you for the clarification. My direct experience has been different. I was informed by DJI that a product I had intended to purchase outside my country (Australia) could be sent to a the local DJI service centre for repair however it would be at my cost. So the FCC/CE compliance is raised by you simply as a one potential means of determining where the unit was purchased. All good. That will almost certainly prove less relevant than the proof of purchase (sales invoice). One additional hurdle that DJI has is the requirement the item was supplied by an entity on their approved vendor list.

Now we are left with the original and likely of interest to many question. How will an FCC model operate in a CE region? Will it have better range?

I was excited about the mini but living in Australia i'm going to get the CE version. With the Air and Spark we were able to get around the CE changing to FCC so the drones actually fly properly without dropouts and RTH after a couple of hundred metres. But the mini and remote seem to be built in with either FCC or CE mode so it's not just a software thing that can be bypassed. I think this will be a deal breaker for me. I'll wait and see how people find the drone in CE mode but I know from past experience CE mode sucks. I understand why DJI have done this. It's the law outside of the US. But this is a wifi drone and I will be surprised if it's ok in CE mode. They advertise 4km and with CE you get 500 metres. That's ridiculous. I know everyone said the same thing about the Spark but the difference is we were able to get around the CE and use FCC. Not with the mini... what is everyone else's thoughts?

Horses for courses.What do you want the mini for ?.Do you want a small drone for portability?.Do you want to escape the regerstration enforcement ?.The Dji line up will offer the drone you need for your requirements.

Thank you for the clarification. My direct experience has been different. I was informed by DJI that a product I had intended to purchase outside my country (Australia) could be sent to a the local DJI service centre for repair however it would be at my cost. So the FCC/CE compliance is raised by you simply as a one potential means of determining where the unit was purchased. All good. That will almost certainly prove less relevant than the proof of purchase (sales invoice). One additional hurdle that DJI has is the requirement the item was supplied by an entity on their approved vendor list.

Now we are left with the original and likely of interest to many question. How will an FCC model operate in a CE region? Will it have better range?
The problem I see is that even if you buy the care refresh,
if you send the FCC MINI and/or RC to your local DJI service intended to operate on the CE variant , the FCC parts could be unavailable to them, and in case of a replacement what will you get? Previous models were identical so no prob.
Too cumbersome, I have cancelled my preorder waiting more details.

I’ll waIt for the English version to come out.
Me too, Dog. I live over here in the US and these “metric A holics?” don’t impress me either ??‍♂️ What ever floats their boat...........

No. The FCC model will function as it does in the US in other countries with a warning, DJI have commented on this. The CE model will function in the US as it functions elsewhere. It's built into the hardware what frequency it functions on.

No. The FCC model will function as it does in the US in other countries with a warning, DJI have commented on this. The CE model will function in the US as it functions elsewhere. It's built into the hardware what frequency it functions on.
According to DJI the difference isn’t hardware- it is the factory flashed firmware.

This is evidenced by DJI correspondence submitted to the FCC.

B85E4E67-A00F-4166-B04D-AE20F8C51D21.jpeg

Reactions: GadgetGuy
So if I have my CE drone in the USA or vise versa FAA drone in the UE and an update is pushed..... which update do I get? The one where I am located or the one that the drone is flashed to?

Reactions: Ping^Spike
hmmmm.
this is the biggest issue for me.
There are many pros and cons for my next one being a mavic pro zoom or this mavic mini.
If the range in city suburbs is only 100m then it will be no go for me. I could hack 4-500m.
I guess ill wait and see what people find.
Or maybe ill buy on amazon and return if it doesn't work out.

According to DJI the difference isn’t hardware- it is the factory flashed firmware.

This is evidenced by DJI correspondence submitted to the FCC.
but also the FCC RC is a different model, maybe only firmware also in this case.
if the differences are firmware I am sure one day or another it will be possible to convert from ce models to fcc

So if I have my CE drone in the USA or vise versa FAA drone in the UE and an update is pushed..... which update do I get? The one where I am located or the one that the drone is flashed to?
Firmwares are different so you’ll get the right one for your model

Reactions: Ping^Spike
why is everybody going on about range,500m is 1640 ft and because of its size you will be hard pressed to see it at that distance anyway

if you want a drone that can go a long way get one with occusync distance is not what the MM is about all i want from mine when it comes is as little lag as possible and a reliable link to the controller and device in VLOS which for me will be around 5-600 ft not meters

Because "distance" = better penetration through foliage, around buildings, radio interference, etc. When I talk about range (personally) I want a clear signal at a reasonable distance in real life situations... not necessarily going 5 miles out :)

but also the FCC RC is a different model, maybe only firmware also in this case.
if the differences are firmware I am sure one day or another it will be possible to convert from ce models to fcc
Did you read the DJI statement to the FCC posted above. You might draw your own and potentially different conclusions however it seems to be reasonable to conclude the differences in the radio performance are “programmed and locked”, i.e. firmware. As others have said- if you can realise product differences while maintaining the same hardware it is obviously the most profitable and sensible approach. In this case it would seem a no brainer in the DJI engineering department. Two factory level firmwares and different model/RF compliance stickers.

Because "distance" = better penetration through foliage, around buildings, radio interference, etc. When I talk about range (personally) I want a clear signal at a reasonable distance in real life situations... not necessarily going 5 miles out :)
thats a concern we all share, and when we have the great occusync system that is so bloody amazing compared to just wifi, it gives us the confidence to fly and not worry about signal dropouts, no matter how far the drone is from the home point in VLOS and mountainous terrain,i have been blown away by that since my PH3 days ,sadly because of its size and weight the MM is not able to run such a system ,so we will just have to hope that the wifi is up to the job albeit at closer range

thats a concern we all share, and when we have the great occusync system that is so bloody amazing compared to just wifi, it gives us the confidence to fly and not worry about signal dropouts, no matter how far the drone is from the home point in VLOS and mountainous terrain,i have been blown away by that since my PH3 days ,sadly because of its size and weight the MM is not able to run such a system ,so we will just have to hope that the wifi is up to the job albeit at closer range
I’m not sure size and weight, even heat dissipation and power consumption issues, might be valid assumptions that could serve to preclude the inclusion of occusync. What is occusync, lightbridge, enhanced wifi etc? Clearly they all DJI named transmission systems applied by the marketing department to various transmission schemes. We don’t have details on the actual transmission protocols but clearly they all outperform standard wifi. What we do know is the radio and RF power amplifier IC’s don’t take up significantly more PCB area on the occusync equipped models. Power output isn’t higher either. This is almost certainly a case of not putting your best tech in the cheapest models. It doesn’t make any sense from a marketing perspective.

Reactions: old man mavic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_