DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini Range Tests - FCC : 2380/3854 meters (5.8Ghz) - CE : 610/517 meters (2.4 GHz)

webvan

Reactions
Finally found some MM range tests on YT ! Naturally the "influencers" that were the first out of the gate with "reviews" (where they conveniently forgot a lot of missing features, like no Panos/Spheres/Smartphone Control to name a few) weren't going to be doing range tests.

Initial reports show that the range is closer to the Spark's "non-enhanced" WiFi than to the Air's "Enhanced WiFi", still early days of course !

FCC *

2380 meters : Poster says it's model MT1SS5, so FCC version and he got 2380 meters in LOS over water.

FCC : 3854 meters

CE **

: 610 meters (see at 13:56) - It's in Italian so the details are lost on me but he was in the open countryside. This is also Spark kind of range. Posters stated it was 2.4 Ghz and that you could only chose the channel, not the frequency.

CE : 517 meters in 2.4GHz mode

* The FCC version is 5.8Ghz only according to the specs and is advertized for 4000 meters.
** The CE range is advertized for 2000 meters with 2.4GHz and 500 meters with 5.8Ghz

Last edited:
First CE test : 610 meters (see at 13:56) - It's in Italian so the details are lost on me but he was in the open countryside. This is also Spark kind of rance...

why is everybody going on about range,500m is 1640 ft and because of its size you will be hard pressed to see it at that distance anyway

if you want a drone that can go a long way get one with occusync distance is not what the MM is about all i want from mine when it comes is as little lag as possible and a reliable link to the controller and device in VLOS which for me will be around 5-600 ft not meters

I think the issue is the advertising. Even on the uk regional dji site it states 4km unless you scroll all the way down and read the small print.
I get your objection, but isn't that how advertising works?

Well no it’s kinda misleading fcc regulations are for ONE country
So why state the range in the USA on the uk localised site?

Reactions: Cymruflyer
Here's the thing, there are so many factors that can affect range. You're focusing on where he flew the drone towards but what about where he was standing? Was there a lot of interference around him? What were the atmospheric conditions? Was he wearing a Smart watch? How did he have his antenna set? Did he have mobile hotspot turned on his device? How high was he? Etc, etc, etc. Obviously, DJI is going to list the range in ideal circumstances. Even if they wanted to be the most honest company ever, they can't travel to every location in the world to do range tests. Should they test under the worst conditions and use those numbers? Hmm...a case could be made for that, I guess.

Reactions: old man mavic
It's early days but they're advertising "enhanced WiFi" like the Air and there were never such discrepancies between specs and user tests for the Air (well actually there were during the first week until a FW update was hurried out so who knows) and so far the range is closer to what you get with the 'non-enhance WiFI" of the Spark. Which is fine for such a tiny drone but that's not the point as others have said above. Anyway let's see what happens with more user tests being done over the next days and weeks.

Another report :
CE : 517 meters in 2.4 Ghz

I seen another video of the MINI flying 2500 meters out, battery went from around 93% at beginning of flight to around 20% when it returned to launch area. At 2500 meters, it was already 50% depleted. Under these results, it’ll be tough reaching 2 miles and back.

Seems the mini depletes the battery at a much faster rate flying great distances, but looks like a great drone for line of slight flights.

Paul

A few factors might be at play there, can you share the link for that video?

Based on that german range review 517 meters in CE mode... I see it was done in good conditions out in nature. If I translate this result in a not such a good place with more interferences around then it will be maybe 100 metres of solid connection without breakups. I'm not impressed but thats how it is with CE wifi standard here in europe :(

I really hope dji is not that stupid that they will shoot themself with unabling boosting output power at any cost since they know for sure that because of this hack (boost to fcc power) they selling much more Airs in europe. Otherways who would buy such an expensive drone with just 100-200 metres of usable range. I hope that with mini they left some door open in the back if you know what I meen.

its probably the other way round in order to pass radio transmitter output tests they have had to make sure that any hacks will not work thats why there are two controller versions

I hope you are not right even if it make good sense what you are saying :)

If that is so then I can imagine europeans will be buying american versions somehow.

Just a matter of time until Dji fixes this backdoor. Also thought that they handle the FCC /ce switch as with the other models but obviously there was high pressure from governments to ensure the right standards. I am also already disappointed before I even received the bird. I am from Germany.

I have placed my order for the Mavic Mini which I hope/expect will compliment my M2Z. I am of course concerned about the range of this new drone however not overly so. I fly a lot of Litchi waypoint missions with the M2Z. If as expected Litchi eventually comes out with an app for the Mini then for me this issue will disappear. With my M2Z if I lose transmission during waypoints the drone continues on it’s mission eventually returning to home and landing. At the end of the day the most important thing for me is battery life and if the Mini gives me close to the 30 minutes as advertised then I will be more that happy.

A few factors might be at play there, can you share the link for that video?
Hello we van,

Looks like I was viewing a Mavic air video, sorry for the error. What threw me off was it was under Mavic mini air.

Have a great day,
Paul

Reactions: webvan
I have placed my order for the Mavic Mini which I hope/expect will compliment my M2Z. I am of course concerned about the range of this new drone however not overly so. I fly a lot of Litchi waypoint missions with the M2Z. If as expected Litchi eventually comes out with an app for the Mini then for me this issue will disappear. With my M2Z if I lose transmission during waypoints the drone continues on it’s mission eventually returning to home and landing. At the end of the day the most important thing for me is battery life and if the Mini gives me close to the 30 minutes as advertised then I will be more that happy.

If you need to use Litchi I would NOT buy it now when there is zero guarantee that DJI will ever release the SDK that would let Litchi apply their goodness to the drone !

Based on that german range review 517 meters in CE mode... I see it was done in good conditions out in nature. If I translate this result in a not such a good place with more interferences around then it will be maybe 100 metres of solid connection without breakups. I'm not impressed but thats how it is with CE wifi standard here in europe :(

I really hope dji is not that stupid that they will shoot themself with unabling boosting output power at any cost since they know for sure that because of this hack (boost to fcc power) they selling much more Airs in europe. Otherways who would buy such an expensive drone with just 100-200 metres of usable range. I hope that with mini they left some door open in the back if you know what I meen.

The Mini in that review may have defaulted to 5.8Ghz, in which case 500m would make sense. They also tested at only 30m height, which does not really help either.
Not expecting miracles for this tiny quad, but a stable connection up to 500m would be nice. As for the FCC hack using Fake GPS: let's see what gets reported when regular users start receiving the mini and try.

Reactions: scooot and droncek
Yep wondering if any mods can be made with DJI assistant too. Looks like we need to wait a little longer Can’t wait to get mine.

Stop with all the nonsense. This drone may not be for the professional. Take it for what it’s worth. I’m a hobbyist recreational flyer. I sold my zoom bought the mini mavic, bought an Rc truck, took my wife and kids out for a couple of nice dinners. Mmmmm sushi ?......

Who cares about the distance. You are supposed to keep it within line of sight anyway? Right? So really old man mavic is right. You will loose sight of the drone before its out of range. Looks like he is a Rec. Guy too.

this might work for a pro. But in very limited close quarters situation. If you do this work for a living, this probably isn’t the one for you. But if you like to fly for fun and want a cool bad arse toy, this is probably better than a lot of the junk out there in this weight category.

it’s not going to replace the M1, M2 , air, inspire, or any new DJI Drone.

their target group is first time Buyers. Who are Not sure ifthey want to drop a bunch of money Into this hobby.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13