DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini Range Tests - FCC : 2380/3854 meters (5.8Ghz) - CE : 610/517 meters (2.4 GHz)

your probably correct they want to snare you in with a base model, and when your hooked you hopefully will buy a more expensive one

thats a concern we all share, and when we have the great occusync system that is so bloody amazing compared to just wifi, it gives us the confidence to fly and not worry about signal dropouts, no matter how far the drone is from the home point in VLOS and mountainous terrain,i have been blown away by that since my PH3 days ,sadly because of its size and weight the MM is not able to run such a system ,so we will just have to hope that the wifi is up to the job albeit at closer range

Absolutely :)

Reactions: old man mavic
Yes it's hard to go back to WiFi after Occusync. TBH the "enhanced WiFi" of the Air is excellent though if you don't fly with obstacles in your LOS, like trees. The "enhanced WiFi" of the Mini does not seem to be quite on par based on these early tests.

Yes it's hard to go back to WiFi after Occusync. TBH the "enhanced WiFi" of the Air is excellent though if you don't fly with obstacles in your LOS, like trees. The "enhanced WiFi" of the Mini does not seem to be quite on par based on these early tests.
We've been spoiled by the best with the range and signal stability of Occusync 2. It's hard to go back to a VW, once you have driven a BMW! Can't film what you can't see! Video dropouts ruin continuous video, as you overshoot your turns, and your composition is also ruined, not to mention the safety challenge of avoiding obstacles while your FPV is frozen, laggy, or totally lost! Autel EVO is just as bad, for the same reason!

Reactions: Dave Maine
Yes, having dones most of my flying with the Spark I'm used to needing LOS, it was pretty "strange" when I flew an MP to be able to fly it through forests and behind obstacles in general. Not the safest thing to do of course...

Yes, having dones most of my flying with the Spark I'm used to needing LOS, it was pretty "strange" when I flew an MP to be able to fly it through forests and behind obstacles in general. Not the safest thing to do of course...
The stable FPV with no dropouts or freezing up makes it safe enough!

Sound like that you only buy them TO SEE then fly...

We are rec users too ab1d we want to SEE WHATS OUT THERE that is inaccessible..

Some may want see scenic that people cant access... some may want to follow along, say canals, RR tracks, rivers, lakes, etc... u get the idea!

Isnt what the purpose of having drones for???

You lose your sight of drones after, what? 200 ft? 300 ft? LOS? Really? Then keep yours under 300 ft or so. We will do what we want to achieve the useful and purpose of drones and enjoy it.

Many of us cant go beyond a mile or 2 anyway due to trees and /or interferences in most places.

I can only go half mile or a mile in hilly wood areas. I cant even go around the rock cliff hill /mountain that isnt far from me. That was my shortest distance that i could send my drone...

I believe that LOS should be only apply to drones / RC planes WITHOUT live streaming camera. We can see where our drones are going and know where our drones are. Obviously we do not want send our drones any further where we are losing video connection. We are responsibly people abd know better than that. Yes, theres always a bunch of few rotten apples out there.
thanks @SkyDogII yes i am a hobby flier,it is something i can do to enjoy my retirement, i already said in another post that i have been surprised at the amount of negativity there has been for the MM, it is an entry level drone that is trying to fill a gap in the market and as i said before we should be amazed that the little drone does as much as it does,in such a light package,

Some may want see scenic that people cant access... some may want to follow along, say canals, RR tracks, rivers, lakes, etc... u get the idea!

You lose your sight of drones after, what? 200 ft? 300 ft? LOS? Really? Then keep yours under 300 ft or so. We will do what we want to achieve the useful and purpose of drones and enjoy it.

Many of us cant go beyond a mile or 2 anyway due to trees and /or interferences in most places.

I can only go half mile or a mile in hilly wood areas. I cant even go around the rock cliff hill /mountain that isnt far from me. That was my shortest distance that i could send my drone...

I believe that LOS should be only apply to drones / RC planes WITHOUT live streaming camera. We can see where our drones are going and know where our drones are. Obviously we do not want send our drones any further where we are losing video connection. We are responsibly people abd know better than that. Yes, theres always a bunch of few rotten apples out there.
no you are totally wrong,you know as well as i do that flying in VLOS is a requirement that the authorities place on us and for most of us that distance is far less than the distance that the drone can actually go,if people choose to ignore the rules and regs that is up to them ,but to come on this forum and berate the MM because of this that and the other something it does not or cannot do has surprised, me like i said in another post if the MM does not measure up then just dont purchase it, buy something that satisfies your needs ,you have every right to disagree with what someone has posted,as i have done on several occasions ,but dont make assumptions about the reasons they fly a drone for

Reactions: TDZHDTV
The Pilot In Command can take eyes off the drone and look at display for brief periods of time as long as situational awareness is maintained as to drone location and visual scanning of environment vs drone position is maintained. Eyes do not have to be glued to the drone.
I'm a newbie with drones, but professional and personal experience has made me pretty savvy at comprehending laws and regulations, whether I like what I read, or not. Here is the governing reg statement on recreational drone LOS:

US Code: Title 49> Subtitle VII > Subpart iii > Chapter 448
(a)(3) The aircraft is flown within the visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft or a visual observer co-located and in direct communication with the operator.

There doesn't appear to be much wiggle room there. In fact, there doesn't appear to be any. Absent any court decision precedents interpreting the correct application of that reg to be anything other than the literal meaning (or a change to the actual reg), there is no provision cited for a lone operator ever taking his or her eyes off the aircraft during flight. There is no reference to an acceptable interval for losing visual contact, to maintaining situational awareness while looking away, or any other "out". If the operator is looking at the display, his watch, his feet, or an attractive passer-by, for whatever time his eyes are diverted, line of sight observation is lost.

I'm a newbie with drones, but professional and personal experience has made me pretty savvy at comprehending laws and regulations, whether I like what I read, or not. Here is the governing reg statement on recreational drone LOS:

US Code: Title 49> Subtitle VII > Subpart iii > Chapter 448
(a)(3) The aircraft is flown within the visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft or a visual observer co-located and in direct communication with the operator.

There doesn't appear to be much wiggle room there. In fact, there doesn't appear to be any. Absent any court decision precedents interpreting the correct application of that reg to be anything other than the literal meaning (or a change to the actual reg), there is no provision cited for a lone operator ever taking his or her eyes off the aircraft during flight. There is no reference to an acceptable interval for losing visual contact, to maintaining situational awareness while looking away, or any other "out". If the operator is looking at the display, his watch, his feet, or an attractive passer-by, for whatever time his eyes are diverted, line of sight observation is lost.
Of course it only says “within line of site”, not in constant visual surveillance.

Reactions: nerkaid

What you believe you should be entitled to do and what the laws/regulations might prescribe as permissible where you are will often be out of alignment (this apples to almost everything- not just flying your RC toys). It’s difficult to understand what point you are trying to make, let alone see how it might relate to the OP.

Reactions: old man mavic
How does he put it into 2.4ghz auto mode? Mine will only use 5ghz when in auto.

perhaps it's a stupid question, but how i know if region (i'm live in france) supported 2.4 GHz or 5.8 Ghz ?
Thx !

Both are supported. Based on current feedback the DJI Fly app does not let you choose the frequency. You'll know soon enough though because the range is much shorter in 5.8 Ghz due to the allowed transmission power difference.

Wow! Just got back from my first flight (non fly-more combo). I flew in sub-freezing temperatures (20F). I installed the battery just prior to flight (keeping it warm in my pocket). It worked flawlessly for the 22 minutes I chose to fly. Still had some battery but received a warning 2X about batteries are cold...blah blah. I flew over a frozen lake with a nice sled hill in the background and lots of forest. I wont go on record about VLOS but let me say one thing.

This drone is "stealth" in the sky, lol. If the sky is gray...forget about it. If you take your eyes off to look at your controller, forget about ever seeing it again until you land. It's tiny. As I landed, I left it hovering 12-feet off the ground about 15 feet out from me. I turned to talk to a bystander who discovered my position. When I turned around, it took me a solid minute to find the drone again, lol. It was right in front and above me. This drone is tiny and sky gray. I am not certain you will see it beyond the launch point. So, keep all that in mind as you debate flight distance and VLOS...don't bother, lol.

I was able to see the dot in the grey cloudy sky OK for quite some distance but I even lose my M2 against foliage background downfield at low altitudes.

Have not tested in sunny clear sky.

So while we agree that 2.4Ghz has a longer range and the 5.8 Ghz has a stronger connection as not may wifi router using 5.8....
Why CE version only flight max 2km (2.4 ghz) and 500m (5.8ghz) and FCC version can flight 4km (5.8 ghz)?
the leak email from DJI confirming that they restrict, on purpose, the connection of FCC only to 5728-5825MHz (with 5G frequency band) while lock lower bands (still 5.8Ghz) and 2.4Ghz. But they does not confirm if 5728-5825MHz is opened for CE verion or not. I think that it's not and CE verion only use 5150-5250 MHz; 5250-5350 MHz, 5470-5725 MHz (5.8GHz) and other 2.4Ghz frequencies
If not, i can not find explanation why CE version flight shorter

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer