DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini RC Affecting Compass on Samsung Phone

The compatibility list only relates to how well the DJI GO 4 app works on the platform - it has nothing to do with whether the device compass is affected by the magnetic field of the RC.
If that is the case why did DJI send me a link to a list TODAY of compatible devices that they say work with DJI Fly? I have already used that list to buy a phone which has this compass problem but they seem to think I should buy another one to see if it works!!!! Not sure why you mention DJI GO 4 when it is DJI Fly app which required a 64bit ARM processor and 64bit operating system to work, and has caused a lot of problems since the launch of the Mavic Mini - DJI did not make that clear on the marketing information. Now their compatibility list is also wrong in some cases even though they say they tested all these phones!!

Last edited:
I have already used that list to buy a phone which has this compass problem but they seem to think I should buy another one to see if it works!!!!
You are dealing with robots who just want to do something to get you off their case.
Don't take them seriously.
You don't need to buy another phone at all if yours is running the app properly.
If you don't calibrate teh phone compass when attached to the controller and get the direction indicator showing correctly, it's no big deal.
The indicator still shows when the drone is pointing towards home and as a responsible flyer, you should know where teh drone is anyway to be able to aim your controller towards the drone.

Reactions: sar104
If that is the case why did DJI send me a link to a list TODAY of compatible devices that they say work with DJI Fly? I have already used that list to buy a phone which has this compass problem but they seem to think I should buy another one to see if it works!!!! Not sure why you mention DJI GO 4 when it is DJI Fly app which required a 64bit ARM processor and 64bit operating system to work, and has caused a lot of problems since the launch of the Mavic Mini - DJI did not make that clear on the marketing information. Now their compatibility list is also wrong in some cases even though they say they tested all these phones!!

Because the compatibility that they are referring to is the ability of the device operating system to run the app. The physical interaction of the magnetic field from the RC with the device compass is not a compatibility issue.

You are dealing with robots who just want to do something to get you off their case.
Don't take them seriously.
You don't need to buy another phone at all if yours is running the app properly.
If you don't calibrate teh phone compass when attached to the controller and get the direction indicator showing correctly, it's no big deal.
The indicator still shows when the drone is pointing towards home and as a responsible flyer, you should know where teh drone is anyway to be able to aim your controller towards the drone.
I have no intention of buying another phone because this is a DJI problem, and I agree with what you say but the manual clearly states you use that feature to point the RC at the drone for maximum WIFI helping to avoid signal interference, so why have a feature that is unreliable or not working. As for calibration I have done it in the RC and out of the RC and for me makes no difference, in fact if I do it in the RC it starts to drift while flying. I know the work around is the map but I should not need to work around something that should be working reliably. I have ordered a longer cable so I can turn the phone 180 degrees to see if it makes a difference.

Because the compatibility that they are referring to is the ability of the device operating system to run the app. The physical interaction of the magnetic field from the RC with the device compass is not a compatibility issue.
Seriously!!!! So why don't they mention this!!!! The Aircraft orientation is part of the DJI Fly APP and you are telling me the compass is not a compatibility problem? And why are DJI making excuses saying it is the GPS when clearly it is not. Of course it is a compatibility problem.

Seriously!!!! So why don't they mention this!!!! The Aircraft orientation is part of the DJI Fly APP and you are telling me the compass is not a compatibility problem? And why are DJI making excuses saying it is the GPS when clearly it is not. Of course it is a compatibility problem.

I've explained the cause of the problem, and a number of options for fixing it have been presented in this thread. It's completely up to you whether you choose to deal with it, or if you prefer to feel aggrieved by the intrusion of basic physics on your user experience. And another piece of advice - if you are going to get upset every time you find incorrect or inconsistent advice from DJI then you might want to find an alternative sUAS manufacturer.

I've explained the cause of the problem, and a number of options for fixing it have been presented in this thread. It's completely up to you whether you choose to deal with it, or if you prefer to feel aggrieved by the intrusion of basic physics on your user experience. And another piece of advice - if you are going to get upset every time you find incorrect or inconsistent advice from DJI then you might want to find an alternative sUAS manufacturer.
Yes we know the cause of the problem and I am going to try some options but clearly this is a design fault as the " intrusion of basic physics" was overlooked by DJI R&D department in an attempt to save on cost, and is less obvious on the other controllers in the Mavic range. Of course I am upset like many others who have fallen in to this trap with the Mavic Mini because you expect it to work as described however, DJI have not been forthcoming on what was required. First people were not made aware they needed a 64 bit phone in fact phone compatibility was never mentioned it only said Android 6 or above, so people were then directed by customer support to buy from a the list of phones they tested which are compatible - COMPATIBLE MEANS" in which two things are able to exist or occur together without problems or conflict" - yes DJI used the word COMPATIBLE - not slightly, almost, maybe or "watch out for the intrusion of basic physics". The Aircraft orientation is part of the DJI FLY APP and therefore should work as expected with the DJI list of compatible phones, and the "intrusion of basic physics" (as you say) should have been taken in to account at the design stage and not left to the customers to sort out - after all it is marketed as a small low cost portable drone.

Anyway I was not here to argue only to post my findings and ask if anyone had any more information apart from the options some people have had success with, because I have a feeling my Honor 8x might need more distance from the RC than I can give it - even with an additional phone/tablet mount. After I test both phones again with a longer cable I will post the results.

Last edited:
I have no intention of buying another phone because this is a DJI problem ... so why have a feature that is unreliable or not working.
The controller is buzzing with electromagnetic activity.
DJI have no control over where the compass sensor is in your phone which is the cause of your issue.
As issues go, it's not a big one.
And why are DJI making excuses saying it is the GPS when clearly it is not. Of course it is a compatibility problem.
Because DJI's help people know about as much about the issue as you do and they'll say anything to get rid of you.
Don't take them seriously
And ... it's not a compatibility issue.

Reactions: WooZie
The controller is buzzing with electromagnetic activity.
DJI have no control over where the compass sensor is in your phone which is the cause of your issue.
As issues go, it's not a big one.

Because DJI's help people know about as much about the issue as you do and they'll say anything to get rid of you.
Don't take them seriously
And ... it's not a compatibility issue.
hmmm to answer your comment "Because DJI's help people know about as much about the issue as you do" You are right that the DJI help people have limited knowledge of the problem which is obvious in the correspondence I have had with them however I have worked for over 25 years in the cellular communication industry (USA and UK) designing and writing software so I am fully aware of how a mobile phone works and a lot of thought goes into the location of the compass sensor but that is not the issue here, the issue is DJI say they have tested a list of phones with their Mavic Mini RC stating they are COMPATIBLE which I repeat MEANS "two things are able to exist or occur together without problems or conflict" - THAT IS WHAT COMPATIBLE MEANS. DJI instruct people to buy these COMPATIBLE phones for use with the RC from a list they provide which are an expensive outlay when you consider the Mavic Mini is a low entry drone, so after purchasing a phone and finding it is not COMPATIBLE shows DJI did not test these phones properly and the fact that the controller is buzzing with electromagnetic activity is irrelevant. Although, interestingly, the other Mavic RC's do not seem to experience the same problem yet! Because it will be very interesting to see what happens when the other apps migrate to 64bit CPU forcing people to buy a new phone!!

Reports are also saying that things got worse since the firmware update 1.0.3 (Optimized Aircraft Orientation), so I assume DJI tried to compensate with an offset which has now made it worse for a lot of people. What was "sort of working" does not work at all since the update?

It is true to say some of the phones on their list ARE compatible but there is a lot that are not including some recent IOS phones, and as for your comment about the issue "not being a big one" is your opinion and not of the majority and especially people who like to fly safely - clearly you don't mind paying for something that is not fully functional. And let's not forget Aircraft Orientation is a safety feature: A: To check orientation B: To efficiently direct the WIFI signal towards the aircraft even when in line of sight.

Opening the map view to check aircraft orientation should be considered as a fallback/failsafe option, the feature on the main screen needs to be working especially for people who have never flown before which someone has already mentioned here in the forum and they are 100% right.

These phones in most cases are over double the cost of the Mavic Mini Fly More Combo and people are not made fully aware of this additional expense, so to be told by DJI which phones to buy that turn out to be INCOMPATIBLE is disgraceful especially when they tell you to buy yet another one from their list to see if it overcomes the problem!!!

Capture-2.JPG

Phones which experience these compass issues with the RC should be removed from the compatible list - it is not the phone manufacturers fault because they did not design their phone to work with a DJI drone, however, DJI designed their drones to work with mobile phones and at the very least should ensure the phones they recommend actually work with their equipment.

Further more the Mavic Mini marketed as a small, compact portable drone you can take anywhere, but this changes as soon as you need extra accessories ie. phone/tablet mounts to overcome the problems DJI have failed to mention.

The Aircraft Orientation (which is on all of the DJI apps and there for a reason) is a safety feature so at a glance you can check the direction (is this not true?) because in VLOS it is possible to lose orientation and the Mavic Mini is a very small drone, and anyone who says the loss of orientation has never happened to them deserves a medal because I am not ashamed to admit it has happened to me and that is with experience of flying RC aircraft for over 45 years that require far more skill than flying a drone - no computer technology to help you!

It is all about safety and it seems the reaction from some of the more senior members in this forum are prepared to tell people to ignore this feature because it does not work, but they are very quick to tell people they should be flying safely. They are also very quick to say they are "experienced" drone pilots and do not use this feature which is their choice, however, the majority of people expect the product to work as advertised without the need to open and close the map view to check orientation.

I am fully aware of how a mobile phone works and a lot of thought goes into the location of the compass sensor but that is not the issue here
Butthe phone manufacturer puts no thought into where the source of the magnetic interference in the controller is and how that affects the phone's compass.

, the issue is DJI say they have tested a list of phones with their Mavic Mini RC stating they are COMPATIBLE which I repeat MEANS "two things are able to exist or occur together without problems or conflict" - THAT IS WHAT COMPATIBLE MEANS. DJI instruct people to buy these COMPATIBLE phones for use with the RC from a list they provide which are an expensive outlay when you consider the Mavic Mini is a low entry drone, so after purchasing a phone and finding it is not COMPATIBLE shows DJI did not test these phones properly and the fact that the controller is buzzing with electromagnetic activity is irrelevant.
The real issue is that you want to be pedantic with your particular, narrow definition of compatible.
Get your longer cable and turn the phone around and see how that goes.

Reports are also saying that things got worse since the firmware update 1.0.3 (Optimized Aircraft Orientation), so I assume DJI tried to compensate with an offset which has now made it worse for a lot of people. What was "sort of working" does not work at all since the update?
Forums are full of confused and misleading reports about firmware versions and what they may or may not affect.
I'd be very reluctant to consider those reports reliable.
And your assumptions based on such reports are quite likely to be invalid.

It is true to say some of the phones on their list ARE compatible but there is a lot that are not including some recent IOS phones, and as for your comment about the issue "not being a big one" is your opinion and not of the majority and especially people who like to fly safely - clearly you don't mind paying for something that is not fully functional. And let's not forget Aircraft Orientation is a safety feature: A: To check orientation B: To efficiently direct the WIFI signal towards the aircraft even when in line of sight.
It is all about safety and it seems the reaction from some of the more senior members in this forum are prepared to tell people to ignore this feature because it does not work, but they are very quick to tell people they should be flying safely. They are also very quick to say they are "experienced" drone pilots and do not use this feature which is their choice, however, the majority of people expect the product to work as advertised without the need to open and close the map view to check orientation.
I'm a much safer flyer than you imagine and am trying to give you some of the benefit of my experience.
I flew for a year with a tablet that could not be calibrated properly because it had 6 strong magnets inside the case.
But I still flew very safely despite that handicap.
What you are whinging so much about is a small issue and will most likely go away when you get a longer cable.
We are sorry ... It is recommended to use other mobile device etc etc.
I'll try one more time.
DJI's help people frequently give very poor, confusing, misleading or straight out incorrect advice.
Don't pay any attention to the silly buy a different phone "advice".

There are phones that won't run the Fly app properly.
Those are incompatible.
There are others that will run the app properly, they are compatible.
Get a longer cable, to move the compass sensor in your phone further from the magnetic influence that's causing you so much anxiety and see how that goes.

Can I put an happy hading on this thread ?

Doing the figure of 8 circle after the RC is attached to my MD makes the compass heading happy every time.

Can I put an happy hading on this thread ?

Doing the figure of 8 circle after the RC is attached to my MD makes the compass heading happy every time.

Yes...... I tried that in the early days, and it didn't really work for me (plus its a real hassle doing it).

I have now given up on that indicator. Instead I just use the map (lower left). Tap on it once, and it will open to its small size. There is also an orientation indicator within the map, and it works flawlessly! If needed, the map can be opened to full screen size.

Cheers. Stay safe and happy droning.

I can suggest another method, this one borrowed from the Compass app

Screenshot_20200328-235926_Compass.gif
Screen_Recording_20200303-145216_1.gif

Remember to ALWAYS calibrate your Mobile Device AFTER has been mated to the Remote Control.

Thank you for your suggestion, but I already know how to calibrate my phones compass.

Like I said, I have moved on from that issue.

I have found a working solution, and I'm fine with it.

Again, many thanks.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d