DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini RC antenna configuration. (Which is which)

Interesting subject. I was thinking the same thing whether to amplify only 1 side of the antenna. Mine was modded but not amplified and is using CE version.

how did you mod it? what did you do to it to get it to have better range on the transmission?

Did the experiment with drone oktside house here in PH. left antenna covered lost signal and feed. Switched around 2.4 and 5.8 modes both still used left antenna for tx/rx.

Right antenna wrapped on 2.4 no effect, wrapped antenna on 5.8 no effect again. verifying this additionally though. There were instances that switching within the same set of channels of 2.4 i got no feed and tx/rx while wrapping the right same if switched from 5.8 to 5.8

Havent tried gpshack yet. Might have a diff story?

Did the experiment with drone oktside house here in PH. left antenna covered lost signal and feed. Switched around 2.4 and 5.8 modes both still used left antenna for tx/rx.

Right antenna wrapped on 2.4 no effect, wrapped antenna on 5.8 no effect again. verifying this additionally though. There were instances that switching within the same set of channels of 2.4 i got no feed and tx/rx while wrapping the right same if switched from 5.8 to 5.8

Havent tried gpshack yet. Might have a diff story?

interesting. Starting to look like right antenna is USA (FCC) and left antenna is EU (CE)

I have mavic mini ce. Amplifying right only antenna works for me. Yesterday with 4w booster In flooded city i reached 1200m with full signal(had to turn back due to strong wind). And without booster i can get only to 200-300m on same spot before.

I have mavic mini ce. Amplifying right only antenna works for me. Yesterday with 4w booster In flooded city i reached 1200m with full signal(had to turn back due to strong wind). And without booster i can get only to 200-300m on same spot before.
Interesting coz upon testing with my unmodded controller (CE), covering left antenna gave me rc not connected and also no video. Covering right antenna did not have any effect.

Reactions: Mavic_Mini_Pilot

I want such a boooooster, is it easy to get? where to get it form? what is it called?

Man I really wish my mini could go over 1km in the City - 1.5km to be exact. I really would appreciate if you help me achieve this.

Thank you

cool cool

Interesting coz upon testing with my unmodded controller (CE), covering left antenna gave me rc not connected and also no video. Covering right antenna did not have any effect.

wow, really, I'll have to test this after work and see myself which antenna on my CE model is responsible for what. I think the right antenna could be for controlling the Mini, and the left for video downlink.. I'm probably wrong, but would really love to find out.

PS: and I want a booster, a sweet one. 4W I think sounds beautiful..

:)

wow, really, I'll have to test this after work and see myself which antenna on my CE model is responsible for what. I think the right antenna could be for controlling the Mini, and the left for video downlink.. I'm probably wrong, but would really love to find out.

PS: and I want a booster, a sweet one. 4W I think sounds beautiful..

:)

Curious which 4w booster you are using. Mines only 2W on 5.8ghz. I’m getting an improvement but not a whole lot. In residential at 200ft altitudes I till get around 4,000 ft. as I did without it but less choppy of a stream.

Attachments

• E0B482EB-E339-4F2C-896D-003B95BAEEA6.jpeg
    E0B482EB-E339-4F2C-896D-003B95BAEEA6.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 106
  • BEE96DBF-C1C5-4C66-AA5F-0659F344BBA0.jpeg
    BEE96DBF-C1C5-4C66-AA5F-0659F344BBA0.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 107
Reactions: Mavic_Mini_Pilot
Curious which 4w booster you are using. Mines only 2W on 5.8ghz. I’m getting an improvement but not a whole lot. In residential at 200ft altitudes I till get around 4,000 ft. as I did without it but less choppy of a stream.

Wow, that looks hectic! So it's obvious that I'll be spending some money on this, I wonder if it's as much as the Mini actually costs, because if that's the case I'll just get me another Mini, AN FCC version one and just fly it with the FCC Hack so it thinks that it's in US and fly it at full power all stock, with range extenders maybe and a sweet strobe light..

Cool...

I think it's not enough to boost only tx signal from RC. It should be also for tx from drone. Or booster should be 2-way. Each moment of time RC works as transmitter or as receiver. The same for drone

True, true - but is there 2-way way to boost my signal, and increase my range. I was flying 200m above Sofia and I lost connection with the drone. Also it is always FCC Hacked mine, so my 5.8ghz is a very little bit boosted, drone also, but not sure exactly how reliable it is, since I did lose connection.

I quickly regained connection and flew back into my application from the balcony.

What can I do to extend my range to the advertised range distance. I just want 1km in 5.8ghz (FCC Hacked) and 2km in 2.4ghz. I think it's just that I'm I the busy city and that's why this happens.

?

Wow, that looks hectic! So it's obvious that I'll be spending some money on this, I wonder if it's as much as the Mini actually costs, because if that's the case I'll just get me another Mini, AN FCC version one and just fly it with the FCC Hack so it thinks that it's in US and fly it at full power all stock, with range extenders maybe and a sweet strobe light..

Cool...

The $8.00 parabolic reflectors work pretty good actually. Otherwise you are looking at about $130.00 for the 4hawks antenna (there’s a newer one designed specifically for FCC mini without the 4.2ghz antennas and larger XR 5.8 antennas) and $100.00 for the booster.

Hello everyone.

I have searched around a lot, but doesn't seem to be able to get a straight answer.
I'm trying to figure out the antenna configuration on the mavic mini RC.
On the mavic pro, left antenna is TX/RX and right antenna is RX only. That makes it possible to just boost the left antenna.
Does anyone have any clear answers to the setup on the mini?
I have attached pictures of the antenna, but both seem to be dual band antennas.

If no one have any confirmed answers, then I'll hopefully start to experiment next week.

Cheers from Denmark.
H

At the moment it seems that it may vary between US/FCC vs EU/CE models.

My US / FCC model is not outputting any power according to my RF meter and I am getting the same range regardless if my left antenna is connected or not.

I am using a single 5.8ghz booster connected to
my right antenna and it’s definitely improving my range and video stream.

Today I flew out 4,500 feet and then disconnected my left antenna and it made no difference at all to my video stream or connection.

Last edited:
Reactions: LankALank
Hello everyone.

I have searched around a lot, but doesn't seem to be able to get a straight answer.
I'm trying to figure out the antenna configuration on the mavic mini RC.
On the mavic pro, left antenna is TX/RX and right antenna is RX only. That makes it possible to just boost the left antenna.
Does anyone have any clear answers to the setup on the mini?
I have attached pictures of the antenna, but both seem to be dual band antennas.

If no one have any confirmed answers, then I'll hopefully start to experiment next week.

Cheers from Denmark.
How did u take the antenna cover off like that and how would I go about extending my mini
At the moment it seems that it may vary between US/FCC vs EU/CE models.

My US / FCC model is not outputting any power according to my RF meter and I am getting the same range regardless if my left antenna is connected or not.

I am using a single 5.8ghz booster connected to
my right antenna and it’s definitely improving my range and video stream.

Today I flew out 4,500 feet and then disconnected my left antenna and it made no difference at all to my video stream or connection.
How did you boost your left antenna please explain I have FCC model and want to reach further than current record wich is 7000

How did u take the antenna cover off like that and how would I go about extending my mini

How did you boost your left antenna please explain I have FCC model and want to reach further than current record wich is 7000

You have to remove the existing antenna and install an aftermarket andtenna like the 4Hawks SR or XR. I purchased mine through covertsrones.com. He has a new one designed specifically for the FCC 5.8ghz model.

You have to carefully take the controller apart and install the sma connectors. The toughest part is removing the small battery connector and button connectors since they are glued on with some rock hard glue.

There are videos on YouTube. If you don’t want to risk it you can have him do it.

After the antenna is installed and you still want more range you can boos it with wifi amplifier like the 5.8 2000 watt booster buy Sunhans.

You have to remove the existing antenna and install an aftermarket andtenna like the 4Hawks SR or XR. I purchased mine through covertsrones.com. He has a new one designed specifically for the FCC 5.8ghz model.

You have to carefully take the controller apart and install the sma connectors. The toughest part is removing the small battery connector and button connectors since they are glued on with some rock hard glue.

There are videos on YouTube. If you don’t want to risk it you can have him do it.

After the antenna is installed and you still want more range you can boos it with wifi amplifier like the 5.8 2000 watt booster buy Sunhans.
Do u test the limits of you mavic minis distance with the new antenna and how far has it improved the distance

Do u test the limits of you mavic minis distance with the new antenna and how far has it improved the distance

All of my tests are from my back yard in my residential area.
Stock antennas got me about 1000 feet.
Cheap parabolic reflectors made an improvement and got me to about 1500 feet.
4hawks antenna improved on that with an overall better video stream, no more breaking up and lagging and improved my distance by a few more hundred feet.

I just did an indoor test sitting in my living room with all doors and windows shut.
I had the remote pointed directly at the back of the drone, 100 foot altitude.

Here are the results:

The 4hawks antenna, stock,, unbooosted: I was about to fly about 600 feet.

4Hawks with right antenna boosted using Sunhans 2,000W 5.8ghz amplifier: 1,900 feet until the signal started breaking up a little. I could have gone a bit further.

So even though the 4hawks antenna alone is going to get you the best range compared to the $8.00 parabolic reflectors, in addition you now have SMA connectors and an external antenna so you can attach a booster and get the maximum range.

Outside of my house and standing in my backyard, I am able to fly:

with 4Hawks and Boosted:

West (down hill, through a park and to the ocean) a bit over 4,000 feet. I could go further but at that point I am flying over the water and it makes me nervous! ?

North 4,000 feet as well.

South into residential area, about 1000 feet.

North East (uphill and into residential area) 4,000 feet

East (residential) 3,000 feet.

With parabolic reflector:

West - 3,500 feet with signal break-in in and out. 3,800 feet if i fly up to 200 feet and find the right spot to squeeze some more distance in.

Stock:

West - 800 - 1000 feet.

So it really depends on obstructions, wifi congestion, trees, etc.

I think it gets to a point where no matter how much you boost it you aren't going to see significant improvement after a certain point (in a residential area). I have yet to test range in an open area, there aren't many of those around here in san diego but I would assume a boosted 4hawks will get you far beyond the 4KM that they claim the mini can do.

I am waiting for feedback from a DJI engineer on wether the left antenna serves any purpose or not for the FCC model.
My tests so far are leaning towards the left antenna as having no purpose.

Last edited:
*SNIP*

I am waiting for feedback from a DJI engineer on wether the left antenna serves any purpose or not for the FCC model.
My tests so far are leaning towards the left antenna as having no purpose.

If that's true, then wouldn't the RC be omnidirectional, so you don't really need to keep both antenna perpendicular to the drone? I had assumed that the dual antenna provided some directionality.

Reactions: LankALank
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1