DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini RC antenna configuration. (Which is which)

If that's true, then wouldn't the RC be omnidirectional, so you don't really need to keep both antenna perpendicular to the drone? I had assumed that the dual antenna provided some directionality.

I think those antennas are omnidirectional. but maybe the front projects further than the back. But when you put one fo those parabolic reflectors over the antennas, it reflects the signal off the back and pushes it forwards and makes the antennas very directional.

Reactions: Mavic_Mini_Pilot
I think those antennas are omnidirectional. but maybe the front projects further than the back. But when you put one fo those parabolic reflectors over the antennas, it reflects the signal off the back and pushes it forwards and makes the antennas very directional.
Yeah, I've ordered one of those. I considered printing the Yagi thing, but it seems those might be a little too directional -- too much trouble keeping them pointed directly at the drone. The parabolic reflectors just redirect some power from the back, so as long as you keep the drone in front of the RC, then the signal is always at least as good as it is without the reflector.

Directional is the way to go. if the drone is not too far out then you can still fly the drone pretty far without having to point the controller directly at it.
I don't really intend to do a lot of flying at any great distance, but now I'm thinking that I should make or buy one of those Yagis and just keep it in my pocket to drop on in an emergency.

I am waiting for feedback from a DJI engineer on wether the left antenna serves any purpose or not for the FCC model.
My tests so far are leaning towards the left antenna as having no purpose.

Have you tried to connect booster+external antenna instead of left stock antenna? May be your rc-meter didn't show signal from left antenna because rx level on right antenna was better and it was auto-selected for tx (diversity)?

All of my tests are from my back yard in my residential area.
Stock antennas got me about 1000 feet.
Cheap parabolic reflectors made an improvement and got me to about 1500 feet.
4hawks antenna improved on that with an overall better video stream, no more breaking up and lagging and improved my distance by a few more hundred feet.

I just did an indoor test sitting in my living room with all doors and windows shut.
I had the remote pointed directly at the back of the drone, 100 foot altitude.

Here are the results:

The 4hawks antenna, stock,, unbooosted: I was about to fly about 600 feet.

4Hawks with right antenna boosted using Sunhans 2,000W 5.8ghz amplifier: 1,900 feet until the signal started breaking up a little. I could have gone a bit further.

So even though the 4hawks antenna alone is going to get you the best range compared to the $8.00 parabolic reflectors, in addition you now have SMA connectors and an external antenna so you can attach a booster and get the maximum range.

Outside of my house and standing in my backyard, I am able to fly:

with 4Hawks and Boosted:

West (down hill, through a park and to the ocean) a bit over 4,000 feet. I could go further but at that point I am flying over the water and it makes me nervous! ?

North 4,000 feet as well.

South into residential area, about 1000 feet.

North East (uphill and into residential area) 4,000 feet

East (residential) 3,000 feet.

With parabolic reflector:

West - 3,500 feet with signal break-in in and out. 3,800 feet if i fly up to 200 feet and find the right spot to squeeze some more distance in.

Stock:

West - 800 - 1000 feet.

So it really depends on obstructions, wifi congestion, trees, etc.

I think it gets to a point where no matter how much you boost it you aren't going to see significant improvement after a certain point (in a residential area). I have yet to test range in an open area, there aren't many of those around here in san diego but I would assume a boosted 4hawks will get you far beyond the 4KM that they claim the mini can do.

I am waiting for feedback from a DJI engineer on wether the left antenna serves any purpose or not for the FCC model.
My tests so far are leaning towards the left antenna as having no purpose.
The furthest I’ve gotten mine was 7700 feet with the rang extenders I know I should have flown that far but I did7BDC40FE-5A97-42A8-A794-10D1F7BAE5C4.png7BDC40FE-5A97-42A8-A794-10D1F7BAE5C4.png

The furthest I’ve gotten mine was 7700 feet with the rang extenders I know I should have flown that far but I didView attachment 94394View attachment 94394

I just flew mine with the booster 6,000 feet. I could have gone further but i sketched out because i was over the ocean!

before the booster was added i barely made it to 4,000 feet depending on my altitude angle, and location i was standing. Booster definitely makes a big improvement. I have ordered another booster just to test with both antennas. I doubt it will make a difference.

The response so far from DJI doesn't jive with my results:

"Regarding your inquiry, as you know, there are two antennas in the remote controller. One antenna sends and receives signals, and the other antenna only receives signals. For the FCC remote controller, the left antenna sends signals; for the CE remote controller, the right antenna sends signals."

For me, the right antenna is definitely the tx/rx and maybe the left receives only, but I have no idea WHAT it is receiving...

Screen Shot 2020-02-18 at 6.05.17 PM.png

Last edited:

Directional yes, but the signal is way more dense and better, so I prefer to aim over having omnidirectional signal - as long as I can go about 1km with very good signal. I'm even going to be making some Yagi adapters for my Mavic Mini's controller antennas, I'll makes me Yagi adapters for 5.8ghz mode and for 2.4ghz mode. Yagi adapter will make the signal even more directional, like a beam almost, but it does spread out, so when far its easy to aim and very much fun to fly.

Man I want Yagi adapters so badly, I don't have a 3D printer, and I'm also trying to find out the exact dimensions of how its supposed to look and be - well just the distances between the reflector element and the active element and the director elements all their lengths and thicknesses. See for the whole Yagi adapter to be able to work properly, except that you have to aim well when using it, the dimensions have to be really perfectly well sized so that a special resonance is reached within the Yagi adapter antenna itself and this way you can benefit very great distances with your Mavic Mini!

I'm surely wanting to and going to try several Yagi adapters if I have to, but I'll get it right and be able to fly out to like 5km with my CE Mini maybe even more.

cool cool

Reactions: LankALank
Directional yes, but the signal is way more dense and better, so I prefer to aim over having omnidirectional signal - as long as I can go about 1km with very good signal. I'm even going to be making some Yagi adapters for my Mavic Mini's controller antennas, I'll makes me Yagi adapters for 5.8ghz mode and for 2.4ghz mode. Yagi adapter will make the signal even more directional, like a beam almost, but it does spread out, so when far its easy to aim and very much fun to fly.

Man I want Yagi adapters so badly, I don't have a 3D printer, and I'm also trying to find out the exact dimensions of how its supposed to look and be - well just the distances between the reflector element and the active element and the director elements all their lengths and thicknesses. See for the whole Yagi adapter to be able to work properly, except that you have to aim well when using it, the dimensions have to be really perfectly well sized so that a special resonance is reached within the Yagi adapter antenna itself and this way you can benefit very great distances with your Mavic Mini!

I'm surely wanting to and going to try several Yagi adapters if I have to, but I'll get it right and be able to fly out to like 5km with my CE Mini maybe even more.

cool cool
Well when you do let me know because I’m also thinking about modifying my DJI controller

This guy used a simple reflector on an FCC-model Mini. A range of 3000 m or about 9800 ft is achieved in rural area. I am going to try it out.

Reactions: LankALank
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Inky