DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini Satellites required

FlyoverDRN

Reactions
My older drones (6/7 years ago) required 3 satellites to find there way around, 4 satellites was even better for a more accurate triangulation (RTH didn't really exist yet) . Why would the MM (or all modern drones) require so many satellites? I can understand 5 or 6 satellites for a few feet accuracy, but over 10? what would be the need?

it just gives a better more solid lock ,and helps with the updated auto flying features and as you said RTH

I believe DJI is learning that the more "robust" they make their systems the fewer (in theory) fly aways they have.

My older drones (6/7 years ago) required 3 satellites to find there way around, 4 satellites was even better for a more accurate triangulation (RTH didn't really exist yet) . Why would the MM (or all modern drones) require so many satellites? I can understand 5 or 6 satellites for a few feet accuracy, but over 10? what would be the need?
Your older drones would have needed a minimum of 4 satellites to provide a reliable location fix.
That's just how GPS works.
You can get a 2D fix with 3 but it can be quite inaccurate.
DJI sets the bar a little higher and requires a minimum of 6 sats (and a good spread of sats).
Presumably this is to guard against launching with the minimum of 4 and losing one.

DJI does not require 10 or more satellites.
But your controller will show how many sats your drone is receiving data from.
That number is likely much more than your old drones may have shown, simply because current DJI drones also receive signal from Russian Glonass sats as well as the US GPS sats.
That means there are a lot more sats available to your drone.

And having more sats does not make your GPS data more accurate.
Even with 20 sats, your GPS location data still has the same variable inaccuracy it would have with 6 sats locked.

Your older drones would have needed a minimum of 4 satellites to provide a reliable location fix.
That's just how GPS works.
You can get a 2D fix with 3 but it can be quite inaccurate.
DJI sets the bar a little higher and requires a minimum of 6 sats (and a good spread of sats).
Presumably this is to guard against launching with the minimum of 4 and losing one.

DJI does not require 10 or more satellites.
But your controller will show how many sats your drone is receiving data from.
That number is likely much more than your old drones may have shown, simply because current DJI drones also receive signal from Russian Glonass sats as well as the US GPS sats.
That means there are a lot more sats available to your drone.

And having more sats does not make your GPS data more accurate.
Even with 20 sats, your GPS location data still has the same variable inaccuracy it would have with 6 sats locked.
That was a very enlightening. Thanks for taking the time.

Reactions: Meta4
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi