DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini under 250g... US & Canada, where can I not fly?

In the U.S. as I understand it all the rules apply except registration with FAA. Remember that if any attachments are used your TO weight will exceed/reach 250gm and you’ll need to be registered and affix the number to the drone.

Thank you for pointing that out! Registration is required if you fly with the prop guards on or anything else that places the weight of the drone over the 250gm. Any additional weight one adds in any form to the drone may make it subject to FAA registration. New owners must bear this in mind as it is possible to have that new drone confiscated for violation of FAA rules.

So, new owners, please do yourself a favor and double check weight if you do any mods to your new bird! This includes perhaps a skin, as well.

Personal recommendation: What is it, $5? It won't kill you for a peace of mind!

One big plus for the MM will be for people vacationing from another country. For example, in Canada you have to apply for a SFOC if you are not a resident, but with the MM since it is under the 250g threshold, I don’t think you will need a SFOC to fly it here.

same thing goes for Mexico....

Thank you for pointing that out! Registration is required if you fly with the prop guards on or anything else that places the weight of the drone over the 250gm. Any additional weight one adds in any form to the drone may make it subject to FAA registration. New owners must bear this in mind as it is possible to have that new drone confiscated for violation of FAA rules.

So, new owners, please do yourself a favor and double check weight if you do any mods to your new bird! This includes perhaps a skin, as well.

Personal recommendation: What is it, $5? It won't kill you for a peace of mind!
Here in Canada registering the drone won’t be the problem - it only costs $5 but any additions to the MM that bumps the weight to 250g or more requires a Pilot licence which is a PITA. If you are a non resident then as long as you don’t add anything to the MM and keep its weight below 250g you likely will not need to apply for a SFOC before you come.
With that being said, I highly doubt authorities will be carrying a scale around to weigh every MM they come across.

Chris

Reactions: old man mavic
MM will be fly outdoors as it is, even a skin will push it over another gram.
In my ownership of prop guards, they are rarely used by owners after a short time flying, except perhaps indoors where they serve a real purpose.
The MM is primarily a travel drone in my eyes, to skirt licensing needs in various countries, reasonably stable, while still having the decent camera for video / photo use.
Even no OA isn’t a problem for drone pilots with reasonable experience, just one way it’s simplified and able to get down to sub 250gms.
I might get one some day when doing next travel requiring sub 250 to make it easier all round.
Just be aware of all the usual rules in whatever country(ies) you’re travelling.

Reactions: old man mavic
Here in Canada registering the drone won’t be the problem - it only costs $5 but any additions to the MM that bumps the weight to 250g or more requires a Pilot licence which is a PITA. If you are a non resident then as long as you don’t add anything to the MM and keep its weight below 250g you likely will not need to apply for a SFOC before you come.
With that being said, I highly doubt authorities will be carrying a scale around to weigh every MM they come across.

Chris
Your reply is quite correct, while the FAA, or others, will not be lurking behind the trees waiting to pounce, I believe it would be so much simpler to just pay the $5 and get it over with. Not knowing the weight of the micro SD card and perhaps vinyl ID/Phone number, a peace of mind is worth at least $5. By registering, one at least has the option of then skinning, prop guards, strobes, etc. The 5 skins are certainly not a bank breaker, but I also still believe the FAA was doing fine not charging for recreational drones in past times! Plus, here in the US, many UAS Recreational pilots have one registered already, why not add one more (for free) and get it over with?

just done my registration and test for the new UK rules regs ,and i will putting the reg no on all my drones including the MM when it gets here, although it is small and light it is still possible to fly it with disregard to the drone code, so really anyone getting one for a first time drone should read up on what is acceptable, and be aware of the regs for flying otherwise, all these new drone flyers are just going to cause more problems for the rest of us

Reactions: Mavic 57

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet