DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini unexpectedly went into ATTI mode

Raylance

Reactions
Yesterday while flying my mavic mini I lost radio signal and the RC went into return to home. This was my 27th flight with the mini. Soon after I regained video feed and I yawled the drone around videoing while the drone was flying back to me. As it was still aways from home I canceled RTH and started manually flying the drone. All of a sudden the app voice said something about going to ATTI mode. I let off the controls immediately and and noticed I had a Code: 110007 (Battery Communication malfunction. Reinstall battery. If issue persists, replace battery). I also had Code: 30004( Aircraft in Attitude mode. Unable to hover. Fly with caution). Looking at my telemetry I had 0 satellites and my Distance said 0 as well. I could tell by my video feed that the mini was being drifting away by the wind. I was able to fly it back to myself manually but it really makes you appreciate the gps positioning because it was quite a handful even in the light wind.

Another strange occurrence of this flight is the Flight Data Center in my phone broke this into 2 instances. One flying out to the point of signal disconnect and then started a 2nd one for the return flight. If I look the return instance it shows the flight path going across the Atlantic ocean and finally stopping in the Gulf of Guinea! Playing it doesn't show the AC follow that path but shows the blue line there.

After I landed it I shut everything down and restarted and everything seemed fine. I did remove the battery and made sure it was inserted properly because of Code: 110007 that referred to the battery. I flew it around close to me and everything worked as it should.

The only thing I did differently yesterday was I put my phone in airplane mode. I only did this because the day prior I got a phone call during a flight and I saw a post on this forum suggesting to put your phone in airplane mode to keep this from happening. Could this be the reason for going into ATTI mode mid flight?

I ran 3 more batteries thru the mini after this instance without any problems but I kept airplane mode off. I am using a Galaxy s10 phone.

If anyone could explain why this happened I would greatly appreciate it.

Reactions: RTKD
nothing has to do with the airplane mode, but there was a lack of gps signal(atti mode), i don't know why

@Raylance Certainly appears to be a battery issue. The battery stopped reporting to the FC, which caused the ATTI switch. I would be leary about using that battery. Haven't seen this one before. A bit unusual to say the least.

1578752251669.png

Yepp ... something funky going on with that battery, or perhaps the seating of it in the AC. Pretty clear already from the AirData.com views ...

2020-01-11_15-24-21.jpg

It's not clear that there was anything wrong with the battery itself. While the cell voltages stopped being recorded, it is clear that the battery was still reporting total voltage:

cells.png

And the log reports zero satellites because it switched to ATTI - the switch was not a result of loss of satellites. The DAT file (FLY038.DAT) will confirm that, but note that the log continues to report GPS position after fusion failure, even though the aircraft is in ATTI and the IMU has stopped reporting velocities:

Delta_V.png

Position.png

This incident needs the DAT file for further investigation, if it's available.

Reactions: slup
Is this the dat file?

No - that's the txt log. In the folder where you found that there should be a subfolder called MCDatFlightRecords. Inside that should be a file named YY-MM-DD-hr-min-sec_FLY038.DAT, where the date and time values represent the start date and time of the DAT file.

Usually a DJI drone falls into Atti mode either if GPS reception is disturbed or if a compass error occurs.
I guess here we have two different problems on the same flight, but independent from each other, Atti and battery.
When and where did you calibrate your compass last time?

Usually a DJI drone falls into Atti mode either if GPS reception is disturbed or if a compass error occurs.
I guess here we have two different problems on the same flight, but independent from each other, Atti and battery.

Those issues are clearly related, but it doesn't look like the battery issue caused the switch to ATTI.

It's not clear that there was anything wrong with the battery itself. While the cell voltages stopped being recorded, it is clear that the battery was still reporting total voltage:

View attachment 90461

And the log reports zero satellites because it switched to ATTI - the switch was not a result of loss of satellites. The DAT file (FLY038.DAT) will confirm that, but note that the log continues to report GPS position after fusion failure, even though the aircraft is in ATTI and the IMU has stopped reporting velocities:

View attachment 90462

View attachment 90463

This incident needs the DAT file for further investigation, if it's available.
? :)

No - that's the txt log. In the folder where you found that there should be a subfolder called MCDatFlightRecords. Inside that should be a file named YY-MM-DD-hr-min-sec_FLY038.DAT, where the date and time values represent the start date and time of the DAT file.

It says that folder is empty. I searched the entire DJI folder on my phone and cannot find it.

Not sure the last time I did a compass calibration. I only do it if it prompts me. Maybe 5 or 6 flights ago.

It says that folder is empty. I searched the entire DJI folder on my phone and cannot find it.

Unfortunately that seems to be a fairly common problem. At this point there is not really enough data to explain this event.
Is there another way for me to find the DAT file?

No - if it's not there then it wasn't created.

Unfortunately that seems to be a fairly common problem. At this point there is not really enough data to explain this event.

No - if it's not there then it wasn't created.
That's too bad I was hoping to get to the bottom of it. The folder is totally empty so I guess it hasn't been creating any from day one.

I have made 6 more full battery flights since the one in question and everything has been fine. 2 of the flights were with the battery that was in question. I guess I will keep flying and slowing gain confidence with mini again.

Thank you sar104 for taking the time to review this and trying to help. This is a great forum is a great resource.

Should I contact DJI about this?

Reactions: sar104
That's too bad I was hoping to get to the bottom of it. The folder is totally empty so I guess it hasn't been creating any from day one.

I have made 6 more full battery flights since the one in question and everything has been fine. 2 of the flights were with the battery that was in question. I guess I will keep flying and slowing gain confidence with mini again.

Thank you sar104 for taking the time to review this and trying to help. This is a great forum is a great resource.

Should I contact DJI about this?

I would probably do IMU and compass calibrations and then watch carefully for any further anomalous behavior, but I wouldn't go to DJI with it unless it happens again.

I would probably do IMU and compass calibrations and then watch carefully for any further anomalous behavior, but I wouldn't go to DJI with it unless it happens again.
Hmm, yeah ... but DJI do at least have the opportunity to get hold of the AC DAT file for further investigation, wouldn't it be worth to turn to them as if this happens again the AC might be lost & the OP will have to take the cost?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Electrakill21