DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini vs. Mavic Air

If a beginner buys this and gets into it they will progress to something bigger in the range, so win win for DJI. I have the mavic 2 pro, but would like one just for the novelty factor, and indoor flying.

Reactions: Metallic Hawk
I don't "get" the Mini at all. If size, transportability and convenience are main drivers of this drone, why the heck would you not make it controllable via cell phone only and how could you possibly omit gesture control? There is nothing convenient about power up the drone then powering up a controller and fumbling around with the controller when taking a selfie or group selfie. Compare to the Spark and gesture control. Power on, double tap the power button and release the drone. Done and done! Also: no follow me? Seriously?! I don't know why people are talking about this being an Air-killer or Spark-killer, or talking about where it sits in the DJI line up (i.e., higher or lower than the Air?). If I were to get this little guy it would be to replace my Tello because it doesn't offer anything close to the functionality and convenience of my Spark or Air for my purposes.

I am also curious why 249 grams is such a big deal. In the US, it takes all of 2 minutes to register and costs $5 for three years, which is presumably longer than anyone will own this drone. I don't get it.

But that's just my $.02.
US is not the target market for Mini, Europe is.

You must have done well on the sale of your MA. I would think that at the hefty $400 price tag and loss accepted at sale of the MA that the transaction would result in a lesser capable drone for relatively the same cost.

Kinda like buying a house in the same area. Sell the big house to downsize only to pay same same price for the smaller home as you did the larger 10 years earlier.

Here ends my miscellaneous ramblings.

Kinda like: Here in East Texas you buy a boat in the Spring, then sell it in the Fall to buy a hunting rifle...

Reactions: Skywalker
This is a TOY from a profesional com0any is just a drone to play around without to have to register...

I have to agree with this guy. “This is a TOY” and that it is EXACTLY the mindset I need the general public to have when I’m out taking pictures In the park. Or if I’m parked near a beach somewhere taking a few snaps of the coast because I was there at the right time.

It’s not a “Drone” that I need to file for flight permission for MILT or CAB. It’s a toy, like a frisbee or a kid with a radio controlled monster truck. I hope everybody can get that through their heads here in Japan that under 200g is not a drone.

I hope everybody thinks like you.

Reactions: Lastrexking
My biggest concern, when I heard about the Mini, was that it was going to have that one great feature that was missing from the air, something that I needed or wanted so badly that I would be begging DJI to take my money.
Same.

guy on utube been weighing the mini. reckons it weighs between 302 and 304. That's in US

With the little experience I have with my MP I see this as a simple entry market product to broaden those on the fringe of wanting a drone and not willing to pony up over $500 to get into ownership. As this new market grows I see it going two ways:
1 - they love it and eventually tire of the limits (or crash) it and move “up” to a more robust DJI drone.
2 - they realize the limited access to fly and let it collect dust shortly after purchasing it.

Either way, DJI will expand their hold on the market and be competitive in the currently missed market of consumers seeking out “toy” drones built by other manufacturers.

I think you are not thinking that maybe everyone can’t afford an expensive drone or needs professional level photos and video. Some of us just want to have fun flying and getting some good photos/video for personal use

I’ve just had the opportunity to see the Mini in the flesh here in the UK. I took my air along to compare the size and there’s barely anything in it, which is surprising given how many more features and much higher spec the Air has.
Obviously the weight of the Mini is much less, but here in the UK all that’s gaining you is not paying the £9 registration fee.
Or, is it? We put the Mini in the scales and it came in at 271g. We then got a second set of scales and it came in at 273g. Up to this point the supplier was happy for me to put the size comparison photos online / but, after the weigh in they asked that I didn’t mention their company in case DJI got wind. Make of that what you will.

Last edited:
Reactions: crosswired
US is not the target market for Mini, Europe is.
not sure is to be honest, not from weight perspective at least. Anyways, you can get better flying TOY for cheaper that almost 400euros so we'll see massive fail in MM sales ..even upcoming Christmas wont help in that

not sure is to be honest, not from weight perspective at least. Anyways, you can get better flying TOY for cheaper that almost 400euros so we'll see massive fail in MM sales ..even upcoming Christmas wont help in that
Ok

I think you are not thinking that maybe everyone can’t afford an expensive drone or needs professional level photos and video. Some of us just want to have fun flying and getting some good photos/video for personal use
Exactly. I paid 800 us dollars for my air. Have not really used it since my last vacation over a year ago. Will use it again in january on a trip to africa. If the mini was available, I would have bought that instead.

Exactly. I paid 800 us dollars for my air. Have not really used it since my last vacation over a year ago. Will use it again in january on a trip to africa. If the mini was available, I would have bought that instead.
Don't take it to Uganda.

This is where all the drones will spend the vacation.

IMG_5321.JPG

Reactions: Lastrexking
Don't take it to Uganda.

This is where all the drones will spend the vacation.

View attachment 84804
Taking it to Nigeria. Drones are illegal without govt draconian approval, so basically illegal. Had no issue getting in and out with it. Just dont bring it in the **** box. Had it in my backup in the case that comes with it. Dont fly over or close to Police, Military, Airports and homes of billionaires and politicians and you'll be fine. Also, fly at 400 ft so nobody on the ground notices. Last time I got a video of a hotel robbery on my drone. Never posted it anywhere.

If a beginner buys this and gets into it they will progress to something bigger in the range, so win win for DJI. I have the mavic 2 pro, but would like one just for the novelty factor, and indoor flying.
My thoughts exactly. I'm buying it for some trickier indoor shots and travel where I don't want to risk my M2Z.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_