DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini vs. Mavic Air

Hey all! I'm absolutely new here (first post!), and I finally understand what it's like for regular people dealing with the things I know well (smartphones, computers, etc.). In those cases, I can't ever see why anyone would want product Z because it's clearly so inferior to Product X. But people love their Z, and I've always assumed it's due to them being a bit addled.

Now... well, here I am, excited about the Mini. Why? Because I have no idea if I'll fly a drone enough to make it worth the $2K+ investment for a decent setup. I've owned toy drones (the best was a Parrot... if that tells you anything), and they gathered dust because they were no fun... or maybe it's because I'm not a drone guy. I don't know. I think I'd love flying real drones, but I don't want to toss down a lot of money to find out I actually just don't really enjoy it. But the Mini? It's $400. It's easy to set up. It's a toy to you all, but to me it's a decent flying camera with incredible range. I know it pales compared to the others, but... I'm used to worrying about 100' of range. I'm pretty sure this will blow my mind.

If I never use it, I'm out $400. I can live with that. I'm sure my kids will use it. But if I love it, then, well... then I can look at getting the M2P or similar. It's just too much of a step for me to go there first, and the MA seems expensive enough that I'd not want to get a better drone after dropping over $1K on that.

It's not about registration for me - I registered anyway. I even got the card and stickers just in case. For me, it's about just seeing if drones are my thing, and the $400 is easier to accept.

So... I think it'll sell well to people like me. It's a good gateway drug. The lack of need for registration makes it a "buy & fly" for many, so that will also help. I know it's a toy. But it's a pretty freaking awesome toy.

Reactions: OldBlueHeron
Hey all! I'm absolutely new here (first post!), and I finally understand what it's like for regular people dealing with the things I know well (smartphones, computers, etc.). In those cases, I can't ever see why anyone would want product Z because it's clearly so inferior to Product X. But people love their Z, and I've always assumed it's due to them being a bit addled.

Now... well, here I am, excited about the Mini. Why? Because I have no idea if I'll fly a drone enough to make it worth the $2K+ investment for a decent setup. I've owned toy drones (the best was a Parrot... if that tells you anything), and they gathered dust because they were no fun... or maybe it's because I'm not a drone guy. I don't know. I think I'd love flying real drones, but I don't want to toss down a lot of money to find out I actually just don't really enjoy it. But the Mini? It's $400. It's easy to set up. It's a toy to you all, but to me it's a decent flying camera with incredible range. I know it pales compared to the others, but... I'm used to worrying about 100' of range. I'm pretty sure this will blow my mind.

If I never use it, I'm out $400. I can live with that. I'm sure my kids will use it. But if I love it, then, well... then I can look at getting the M2P or similar. It's just too much of a step for me to go there first, and the MA seems expensive enough that I'd not want to get a better drone after dropping over $1K on that.

It's not about registration for me - I registered anyway. I even got the card and stickers just in case. For me, it's about just seeing if drones are my thing, and the $400 is easier to accept.

So... I think it'll sell well to people like me. It's a good gateway drug. The lack of need for registration makes it a "buy & fly" for many, so that will also help. I know it's a toy. But it's a pretty freaking awesome toy.
I got into drones with a 40 chinese drone and then the Yuneek breeze which was on clearance for 150. After flying these to their limits (100 ft max distance), I got bored and got the air. I always tell folks to try out the cheap non gps drones first ro get some basic flying experience.

mate, get something cheaper than MM, e.g Hubsan Zino Hubsan H117S Zino GPS 5G WiFi 1KM FPV with 4K UHD Camera 3-Axis Gimbal RC Drone Quadcopter BNF Version RC Drones from Toys Hobbies and Robot on banggood.com , 4k camera, GPS ... overall more functionality than MM just shorter flight time (23minutes)
Then, if youll feel than 'droning' is for you, get something more serious

Reactions: jsw and Rayray
I also went the $150 GPS with camera route for my first taste before stepping up to the MA. My daughter thought the former was expensive, my wife the latter. Hey, we all have our price points. I’m just happy I got my MA before the mini was introduced, which would have added further complications in the decision process.

Party on! ...and fly responsibly.

Reactions: jsw and crosswired
I also went the $150 GPS with camera route for my first taste before stepping up to the MA. My daughter thought the former was expensive, my wife the latter. Hey, we all have our price points. I’m just happy I got my MA before the mini was introduced, which would have added further complications in the decision process.

Party on! ...and fly responsibly.
lol I never told my wife how much I've paid for my MA :)

Reactions: jsw
I see that new MAs can currently be bought for $745 (US). I have 9 drones (both large and small) and the Mavic Air is the best all-around in my opinion. Sometimes chasing the "latest and greatest (?)" is not the wisest choice.

I also agree with crosswired. If you have NO experience with drones, follow his advice.

I see that new MAs can currently be bought for $745 (US). I have 9 drones (both large and small) and the Mavic Air is the best all-around in my opinion. Sometimes chasing the "latest and greatest (?)" is not the wisest choice.

I also agree with crosswired. If you have NO experience with drones, follow his advice.

My Air is by far my favourite too, and I have seven drones. It's just so portable with a great camera and spec. I know it's twice the price as the Mini, but it's more than worth it feature wise.

I’ve just had the opportunity to see the Mini in the flesh here in the UK. I took my air along to compare the size and there’s barely anything in it, which is surprising given how many more features and much higher spec the Air has.
Obviously the weight of the Mini is much less, but here in the UK all that’s gaining you is not paying the £9 registration fee.
Or, is it? We put the Air in the scales and it came in at 271g. We then got a second set of scales and it came in at 273g. Up to this point the supplier was happy for me to put the size comparison photos online / but, after the weigh in they asked that I didn’t mention their company in case DJI got wind. Make of that what you will.
DJI state the Mavic Air weighs 430g (with battery) - so you must have weighed it without a battery. Regarding 250g limit - the main advantage will be from next July when drones under 250g can fly over 'uninvolved people' (except crowds) & there are no minimum distances you need to worry about either. Here are the details from the CAA. As the Mavic Air weight under 500g it will also benefit from the same advantages - until July 2022 so that gives you a couple of years freedom !Screenshot (7).png

DJI state the Mavic Air weighs 430g (with battery) - so you must have weighed it without a battery. Regarding 250g limit - the main advantage will be from next July when drones under 250g can fly over 'uninvolved people' (except crowds) & there are no minimum distances you need to worry about either. Here are the details from the CAA. As the Mavic Air weight under 500g it will also benefit from the same advantages - until July 2022 so that gives you a couple of years freedom !View attachment 85034
I didn't weigh my Air..... I meant Mini. Typo.

But by using the prop cage you're exceeding the max weight of 250g and you'll have to register the drone. I think even the decals provided would push you over the limit, especially when you factor in .25g of a SD card.

4 minutes at cruising speed is almost 2km. Are all your locations that far away?

I wouldn't say no to a better MA battery :)

I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't even know what that means. :eek:
4 Minutes ......

It takes me approx 4-5 mins to get drone from off to on, linked to radio checked for compass and flight checks, up in the air with safely recorded takeoff point and into location ready for planned mission. I don't cruise at 30MPH. I usually set for less than 5MPH because I like to produce videos of scenic value rather than jerky blasts and glimpses.

Yeah, I think DJI are masters in creating new niches and placing products in there that we didn't even know we wanted.
From the specs it seems obvious that the Mini will not be a competitor to the Air, all I wonder is: will it be a competitor to the Spark? I am a little bit concerned that they dumbed down the whole photography part to a level where it will just be a point and shoot experience. On the other hand, the Spark is already like that, and I love it for that.

On a side note; it seems to be a consensus that the whole "gesture control" of the Spark is more a gimmick than a real usable feature, and I for one am not at all disappointed to see that it has not found it's way to the Mini. Same with the object avoidance; I am really happy that it saved my Mav's one or two times from horrible crashes, but mostly it is just an annoyance that it completely ruined shots when flying into the sun and detecting that as an "object". I am looking forward to discovering whether I will find the Mini's feature set too simplified, or gloriously simple.
If all you want to do is take photos, I think the mini will be gloriously simple. If you have more than simple needs for video, you may find the mini too simplified. We shall see.

If I had a Spark there is nothing about the Mini that would motivate me to spend another $400 to get one. If I already had a Mavic Air or Mavic Pro or some other Mavic there is nothing about the Mini that would motivate me to spend another $400 to get one.

I see the Mini as a very capable drone for a beginner or for someone looking to upgrade from an inexpensive drone that has inferior performance (flight controls and camera) but wants to stay under $500 or someone that just likes to have all the newest stuff that come out.

As far as the drone market in general, my understanding was the consumer market has been shrinking so I wonder if there is a significant market for a drone at this price point.
If I had a Spark there is nothing about the Mini that would motivate me to spend another $400 to get one. If I already had a Mavic Air or Mavic Pro or some other Mavic there is nothing about the Mini that would motivate me to spend another $400 to get one.

I see the Mini as a very capable drone for a beginner or for someone looking to upgrade from an inexpensive drone that has inferior performance (flight controls and camera) but wants to stay under $500 or someone that just likes to have all the newest stuff that come out.

As far as the drone market in general, my understanding was the consumer market has been shrinking so I wonder if there is a significant market for a drone at this price point.
I have a Mavic Pro and have ordered a mini. I ordered a mini because I believe there will be times when the smaller footprint of the mini will increase the likelihood that I'll bring it along and have a flying camera when I want one. Also, because the mini has a capable camera, it is ideal for use as a backup on a shoot.

Reactions: JoostGT3
I have a Mavic Pro and have ordered a mini. I ordered a mini because I believe there will be times when the smaller footprint of the mini will increase the likelihood that I'll bring it along and have a flying camera when I want one. Also, because the mini has a capable camera, it is ideal for use as a backup on a shoot.
Same here: Mavic 2 Pro and Spark... Bought the mini in a bit of an impulse buy. I love the Spark for what it is (simple camera platform), but always felt annoyed by the short flight time and low camera quality. In order to solve the short flight time, I bought the portable charging station, which helped, but comes at a cost of a lot of weight to carry around. I am hoping the mini will give me a slightly improved camera, with a much improved flight time in a very compact/light package. The only fear I have is the range restrictions here in CE country. If it turns out that the practical range is only 100m or so, I might get rid of both the Spark and the Mini and go for the Air (maybe Air 2 coming year?)...

Same here: Mavic 2 Pro and Spark... Bought the mini in a bit of an impulse buy. I love the Spark for what it is (simple camera platform), but always felt annoyed by the short flight time and low camera quality. In order to solve the short flight time, I bought the portable charging station, which helped, but comes at a cost of a lot of weight to carry around. I am hoping the mini will give me a slightly improved camera, with a much improved flight time in a very compact/light package. The only fear I have is the range restrictions here in CE country. If it turns out that the practical range is only 100m or so, I might get rid of both the Spark and the Mini and go for the Air (maybe Air 2 coming year?)...
I'm afraid that MM got hardware blocked range so Air would be better choice. I'm a happy Air owner and wouldnt go for MM for any money...as its more like overpriced toy :)

Reactions: JoostGT3

I think it comes down to individual perception of bang for the buck and preference. For you the difference in size is worth paying the $400 or so to get the Mini (folded Pro 198mm x 83mm x 83mm versus folded Mini 140mm x 82mm x 57mm). In some situations it might be the make or break on whether you take a drone or leave them at home.

Reactions: crosswired
I think it comes down to individual perception of bang for the buck and preference. For you the difference in size is worth paying the $400 or so to get the Mini (folded Pro 198mm x 83mm x 83mm versus folded Mini 140mm x 82mm x 57mm). In some situations it might be the make or break on whether you take a drone or leave them at home.
guess there will be a little difference when all packed up in the bag / backpack, my Air 1, MM 0 :)
oh, forgot one BIGGEST thing: MM require controller while my Air can fly with my phone so Air 2, MM 0

Yeah, Mini stands more for mini specs than mini size [emoji846]

Reactions: anotherlab
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13