DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini Water Crash ( Small Stream )

int3rc3pt0r

Reactions
Namaste & Hello Everyone,

Newbie here .?

So I was flying the Mavic Mini over a Small Stream to get some small shots 2 days ago ...
I did not disable the sensors ( did not know about that back then )
After a couple of minutes it started to climb automatically about 4 meters high, I did not understand why.
I did a mistake of lowering back the height to about 0.5 meters from the surface of still water ( big mistake )
The sensors again kicked in and it started to rise, this time it was below a tree.
It hit the branches and fell into the water, the water wasn't mucky. I went numb.
It took me around 10 minutes to get the drone ( it was around 4 feet inside the water for around 10 minutes )
It recorded nearly 3 minutes of footage under water ( I think I turned of my controller in those 3 minutes )
Once I pulled it out of the water it was still blinking ( red light ) and the battery lights at the bottom.
I turned off the drone. Did not pull the battery from the drone for about next 20 minutes or so ( again huge mistake again )
I did not try turning it on again its been nearly 48 hours since plunge into the water.
I don't have the guts to start it.
When should I try starting the drone without the wings ? Should I wait for 7 days ?
I am reluctant to put it in rice. Can you suggest some methanol chemicals which I can buy in market .
I live in Pune, India.

What should I do to make sure that it might start again.

Also I can see blue residue on the board and the battery connection point after 2 days .( See attached photos )
Should I clean them with a small toothbrush carefully ?

Please help. Thanking You.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    579.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    352.2 KB · Views: 59
Yes, I'd remove the corrosion with isopropyl alcohol with the highest alcohol content you can find. Only use this type as it does not leave any oil traces
Soft tooth brush or Q tips can bbe used.

Unfortunately the other electronics internally might also being corroded, you could try flushing it with distilled water and then using the isopropyl alcohol to displace the water.

Let it completely dry, many days or weeks

I think the battery would not be safe to use again

Yes, I'd remove the corrosion with isopropyl alcohol with the highest alcohol content you can find. Only use this type as it does not leave any oil traces
Soft tooth brush or Q tips can bbe used.

Unfortunately the other electronics internally might also being corroded, you could try flushing it with distilled water and then using the isopropyl alcohol to displace the water.

Let it completely dry, many days or weeks

I think the battery would not be safe to use again
Hey, I washed it just now with demineralised water ... sunk it for 5 mins and flushed with 2 litres of it ... blow dried it a little .
now I have big plastic box ... kept it to dry it in there . Will keep it in rice for 3 days from tomorrow ... hope it works ...
Went wrong with just drying it out without cleansing it with demineralised water ... but did it now ... did not try starting it in all this time ...
Will start only after the 3 days of rice sinking ?

Hey, I washed it just now with demineralised water ... sunk it for 5 mins and flushed with 2 litres of it ... blow dried it a little .
now I have big plastic box ... kept it to dry it in there . Will keep it in rice for 3 days from tomorrow ... hope it works ...
Went wrong with just drying it out without cleansing it with demineralised water ... but did it now ... did not try starting it in all this time ...
Will start only after the 3 days of rice sinking ?

You'll have to use the isopropyl alcohol, most pharmacies with have it

Reactions: int3rc3pt0r
Anyone with half a brain will tell you it’s OK to fly it.

If washing in IPA do this in an open area away from any flash points, the fumes from that stuff are 'bad' enough at UK temperatures, I dread to think what they'd be like in Indian temperatures

If washing in IPA do this in an open area away from any flash points, the fumes from that stuff are 'bad' enough at UK temperatures, I dread to think what they'd be like in Indian temperatures
I flew offshore in Bell 212’s in the past in India, nothing ever dries there, maybe in an hermetically seal box of gel or rice.

What about rtfm ? Minimum flight over water 2 meters ..the sensor gets confused over water

Ok then ...we All make mistakes .. it's in our human nature . Good that u learned from it

You really should disassemble the drone and clean it thoroughly to avoid water corrosion on the boards and connectors.

Sorry to hear about this unfortunate accident. Isopropyl alcohol may work well. If the crud/build up in various places don’t come of easily, acidic solutions or just plain lemon juice has been known to dissolve it. Be sure to flush it away properly with isopropyl alcohol afterwards.

Would be interesting to see the video you captured from this incident with the amphibious Mavic mini.

Sorry to hear about this unfortunate accident. Isopropyl alcohol may work well. If the crud/build up in various places don’t come of easily, acidic solutions or just plain lemon juice has been known to dissolve it. Be sure to flush it away properly with isopropyl alcohol afterwards.

Would be interesting to see the video you captured from this incident with the amphibious Mavic mini.
Hey thank you . Yes I will be uploading complete video once I make it to fly again

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan