DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini - Winner or what?

The tight places, if it loses controller - drone signal, it will RTH in 11 seconds, which could result in a tree canopy or structure impact.
I hadn't thought of that, and neither had DJI by the sound of it. Surely a stop and hover option will be added on the first software update; unless they're keen to get some repair work going.

Surely a stop and hover option will be added on the first software update

I hope so Paul.
Think DJI know, they took that option off the Spark a while ago, darn thing now will only RTH in same circumstance.
They better not do it with other Mavics or they will lose custom.

Just waiting to confirm if you do need cellular to use the Fly app.
If you do, then I'm out, too many remote places in the World that don't have coverage, especially Australia outside the 99% population areas (vast).

Reactions: Paul WIngfield
I can't see why you would need cellular, since you can fly the drone without a phone (with just the remote controller)?

I do plan on testing with phone (while phone is in "flight" mode) to see if it helps with the signal strength (more turning off the phones wifi).

In the Fly app ?
I just opened it (no aircraft of course) and you can get into settings menu in the app, nad at least see what's there.
Can't see options anywhere for loss of signal, looked through various menus, only the RTH settings in Safety menu.

In the MM manual, there is only forced RTH (loss of signal) after 11 seconds.

The weight part ?
Forgot to mention above, if it is REALLY that important to have a strobe and filter, I can possibly get the Japanese batteries, which see a standard take off weight of only 199g (50g lighter).
It's an 1100mAh vs 2400mAh (both Li-ion).

Now THAT would be a safe margin when travelling.

Regular battery gives up to 30 mins, Japanese battery 18 mins, so a big trade off, brings it down to safe Spark flight time really.
But could be worth it as long as say 4 batteries were carried.
Under Safety, second setting.
I have the Fly version from Play.

I'd take a screenshot but Fly is huge and I'm limited in space on my HTC so I had to uninstall it. I still have it installed on Tab A.

Just did a quick indoor flight test with phone in flight mode and it worked as expected...

3 minutes into watching the first review on YT I knew the MM wasn’t anything to get hyped about. Most of the YT guys that are so called “hyped” are the enablers who got the drone for free from DJI and are paid (in a way) to over sell the product. What the MM will do is allow irresponsible flying with less legal jargon giving droning in general more bad publicity!

Out of curiosity what drone would you have recommended for someone who doesn't own a one?

Under Safety, second setting.
I have the Fly version from Play.

I'd take a screenshot but Fly is huge and I'm limited in space on my HTC so I had to uninstall it. I still have it installed on Tab A.

Perplexing . . . and frustrating.
This is what I have under safety . . .

Fly_safety_1.jpg

and scroll down . . .

Fly_safety_2.jpg

Advance settings only has an option for CSC, and payload.

Could be an IOS thing ?
Either way, not good if it's there on one platform and not another.

I can't see why you would need cellular, since you can fly the drone without a phone (with just the remote controller)?

I do plan on testing with phone (while phone is in "flight" mode) to see if it helps with the signal strength (more turning off the phones wifi).

I read on another post on the forum about this, page 34 of the manual specifies Fly needs cellular connection.
Not sure if it is correct, but that line is pretty clear.

Please give it a try with total wireless blank on data, see how it goes.

I also read somewhere that the Fly app (or was it the Mavic mini itself ?) is the only DJI drone that will send info to DJI, no options to not do so, maybe this has something to do with data needed.

I forgot, it is under advanced settings. Might be under Control rather than Safety, though Safety makes more sense.

As for Cellular, they probably meant internet, whether by cell or Wi-Fi. Cell would be better so you don't interfere with AC Wi-Fi.
Also internet probably for same reason as Go: app login, AC activation, map data, and uploading logs. I doubt it's needed for actual flying.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
I forgot, it is under advanced settings. Might be under Control rather than Safety, though Safety makes more sense.

No, nothing under any menu setting inc advanced sections.
It should be under safety or control, but definitely not there anywhere in my Fly app.

Will put the MM to sleep for me for a while, wait for it to be around a bit and have a look online, or feedback from someone here when it's all hooked up to fly.
The manual doesn't mention it at all, only forced RTH happens after 11 seconds of connection loss, doesn't mention options to hover or land, apart from landing if closer than X (can't recall distance, maybe 10m ?) from home point.

As for Cellular, they probably meant internet, whether by cell or Wi-Fi. Cell would be better so you don't interfere with AC Wi-Fi.
Also internet probably for same reason as Go: app login, AC activation, map data, and uploading logs. I doubt it's needed for actual flying.

It says data, but they say needs cellular connection, so again not sure.
Manual should be worded better, but just another little hiccup, hopefully anything ambiguous may be fixed up in future manual updates.

I read on another post on the forum about this, page 34 of the manual specifies Fly needs cellular connection.
Not sure if it is correct, but that line is pretty clear.

Please give it a try with total wireless blank on data, see how it goes.

I also read somewhere that the Fly app (or was it the Mavic mini itself ?) is the only DJI drone that will send info to DJI, no options to not do so, maybe this has something to do with data needed.
I was able to fly (indoor test) with phone on flight mode (no cell, GPS, WiFi, Bluetooth, Data).

The cellular comment might make some sense when out in the open, if its using the fly app to calculate the RTH location - in which case you would need it enabled?
When it stops raining (Feb?) I will test outside and see if it causes any other issues (like unable to calculate Safe Fly zone etc.).

I just took mine out, very happy with it. Got 300 metres out and 100 metres up in a park in a residential area before getting any weak signal, it lives up to my expectations, though having to take the sticks off everytime to go back in the case is a little annoying.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191113-163025.jpg
    Screenshot_20191113-163025.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 156
Ric's screenshot shows it right at the top.
Signal Lost "when the aircraft becomes disconnected from RC, it will return to home, descend, or hover."
Emergency Propeller Stop
Payload Mode

The GOOD NEWS for me......

All I can say is the best camera/drone in the world is no use at home , also the best camera/drone normally is quiet complicated and takes time to set up.
Now the Mavic Mini what can I say with a hair band wrapped around the props you could honestly just put it in your trouser pocket and remote in other pocket , but realistically you can carry it in a bag and take it every where you go even if you don't plan on using it .
Also I don't think that you will get bogged down with loads of extras especially if you don't register it as you can't go over the weight .
In a matter of a minute you can take it from case and launch it and one of the best things about it is how very quiet it is and if some one watches you launch or take it out of your bag it draws no attention as it just looks like a kids toy .
Now if any one was expecting all the bells and whistles and technology of a $1500 drone for $399 then there is the reason why they are complaining.
BUT I tell you one thing for sure , if you add up all that you do get in this $399 drone
You will soon realise that you have an incredible deal . Now I do realise that $399 is not a small amount but I know that I'd rather risk the Mavic Mini to get that incredible shot than a Mavic pro 2 .
All in all I think it's a fantastic drone for a fantastic price with amazing abilities.
I also think that in this world you always get despondent people that moan and are never satisfied , the sort of people that would moan at having to wait a week to receive a payout fot the winning lottery .
Yes there will be broken drones also people won't of checked phone compatibility and there also may turn out to have teething problems .
Now as for the amazing 2.7k photo that an average person couldn't spot that it wasn't 4k even side by side I'm sure that some of the great photographers we have in this community will make this 2.7k image better than most of us average people can do with a 4k image , let's not blame our tools for our inadequacies and try to improve , and I count my self in that . Let's all be positive and look forward to how fast things are happening.
I'm pleased that you realised that the Mavic Mini wasn't for you and I hope you find the right drone.

When I opened the box and placed drone in my hand I was just truly overcome and the flying abilities are incredible but the thing that I still don't believe and think that they have broken the laws of physics is how in 25mph winds with gusts it doesn't get blown away , it's as if it weighed 5kg .
Good luck to all , fly safe and I hope DJI sort out everything satisfactory for all GOD bless
That sounds like a positive review, and that’s a good thing!

I don’t have a Mavic Mini. However I think thIs video presents a real life flight (without commentary) and as such can shed light on questions some folks may have about this drone. FYI: I’ve been flying a Mavic Air for over a year now. Caveats are that this appears to be very rural (no or low interference) and far from a restricted zone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada