DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini Yaw Issue Is A Deal Breaker For Me!!

Have you posted any flight logs? It's really difficult to comment on these kinds of observation without any hard data to look at.
It wont do any good @sar104, Apparently this is all normal behavior, According to most that replied to this post. And it very well may be what DJI considers normal operation, but its the first DJI Drone that does not immediately brake upon letting off the Yaw (Spin)Stick, which to me makes it feel too much like a toy and not a $400 Mini Drone, All other aspects of flight are perfect but they blew it with the laggy Yaw Control..

i bet it’s because it’s meant for beginners. How many beginner videos have you seen from the M2, MP1, etc that look real choppy with the panning motions that jump and stop. It’s takes a long time to get the feel down for smooth panning start and stops.

It’s probably a feature to help people who have never flown a drone before get the best possible video possible.

Post a log so we can see what the FC is doing and wether it’s a bug or intended behavior.

Will do tommorow, it makes it impossible to to follow anything moving with anything close to stable footage, when slowing the yaw after a turn , it continues to turn, forcing a small yaw adjustment to get back on intended target, I dont kmow what they were thinking???

Do You own any other DJI Drones???
I own only other DJI drones.

What difference might that make?

My comments are with respect to my own experience, which seems to be common. To get smooth footage that doesn’t make people feel like they are going to be physically sick you need to be gentle on the sticks.

I own only other DJI drones.

What difference might that make?

My comments are with respect to my own experience, which seems to be common. To get smooth footage that doesn’t make people feel like they are going to be physically sick you need to be gentle on the sticks.
What other DJI Drones do you own??

Will do tommorow, it makes it impossible to to follow anything moving with anything close to stable footage, when slowing the yaw after a turn , it continues to turn, forcing a small yaw adjustment to get back on intended target, I dont kmow what they were thinking???
Once again-the problem is only in your hands and skills

I think this slow yaw over rotation when the sticks are released might be due in part to the design of the control sticks in the Mavic Mini controller.
The centering springs feel softer and more dampened than in other Mavic and Phantom RC's and the sticks don't center as quickly, which could result is a slower command response
I notice on my Spark, MPP, MP, MA and P4P controllers that the joysticks really snap back to center very quickly when released and oscillate a bit, while the MM joysticks are slower.
The MM action feels heavier with more resistance and doesn't feel as fluid or as accurate as the other RC's.

Last edited:
Reactions: mmoguls
I can see why you would want that behavior in a racing drone, but I'm not sure what you're doing that you would want sudden panning starts and stops in your video. The reason that "cinema" mode exists is that you never see that kind of twitchy panning behavior in professionally shot movies and TV shows, because it immediately distracts the viewer's attention from the scene and gets them thinking about the camera.

Reactions: Piranha
It wont do any good @sar104, Apparently this is all normal behavior, According to most that replied to this post. And it very well may be what DJI considers normal operation, but its the first DJI Drone that does not immediately brake upon letting off the Yaw (Spin)Stick, which to me makes it feel too much like a toy and not a $400 Mini Drone, All other aspects of flight are perfect but they blew it with the laggy Yaw Control..

The logs would quantify the behavior and possibly explain why it is happening. That might suggest a way to mitigate it, or at least indicate what needs to be changed in the firmware or hardware. And since most users are not complaining about this, it would also clear up whether it is normal behavior.

I can see why you would want that behavior in a racing drone, but I'm not sure what you're doing that you would want sudden panning starts and stops in your video. The reason that "cinema" mode exists is that you never see that kind of twitchy panning behavior in professionally shot movies and TV shows, because it immediately distracts the viewer's attention from the scene and gets them thinking about the camera.
It still behaves this way in Cinema mode(or Tripod Mope on Mini)...
This all comes down to how well Im tuned to flying all other DJI Drones, and this change makes it very difficult to have fine control on the Mini because it acts so different than all my other DJI birds. To me its a major difference..

mavic mini cinematic mode is nothing more than Tripod mode from other DJI Drones.

sry..maybe stupid question.. but there is option something like "camera follows direction of drone"..maybe because of it. because if the camera follows direction of dron, when you should want to stop dron, camera would continue moving. so you should have like twitch in final video.?

I agree with mrreddog Except its not a deal breaker for me, I notice the over rotate when Yawing, when i got my Mini in Nov. I have The inspire 2, Mavic Pro 2, Mavic Air, The Spark, and the Tello, and all of these are Very crisp. I have been just hoping the problem is going to be fixed in a firmware update.

Short Flight Record directly from Iphone

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2020-01-13_[16-59-07].txt
    605.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
If that is a deal breaker for you. Maybe you should not be buying a mid range drone. Definitely not a deal breaker for people with the expectations of what it is. A beginner drone that takes fantastic video and still shots.

by the wayyour fingers are lagging at different speeds from
Right to left did anyone get rid of you.

Short Flight Record directly from Iphone

Here's the first part of the flight in terms of rudder and yaw rate:

Yaw_1.png

There's a lag of around 0.5 seconds between application of full rudder and yaw response, both starting and stopping. The yaw rates are reasonable. The lag is perhaps a little longer than I've seen on other aircraft but this is not a realistic test - full rudder is neither appropriate nor useful for most kinds of flying.

The pitch record also shows that the aircraft is responding appropriately:

Pitch.png

Hard braking is visible at 99 seconds when you went from full elevator to centered.

Pitch and roll and throttle all feel normal, Its only yaw that feels delayed and sluggish, this was the 1st real test outside with the 2nd Mini, It seemed slightly better than the 1st, but still unacceptable from a $400 drone..
That half second delay in the yaw continues for about the same half second when letting off stick, causing overshoot in direction..

Agreed, It wasnt a realistic flight, I was doing half *** rectangles above my property.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vanillasky