DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini Yaw Issue Is A Deal Breaker For Me!!

mrreddog

Reactions
Mavic Mini Yaw Issue Is A Deal Breaker For Me!! Anyone else??? This is my 2nd brand new Mavic Mini and its headed back to the store like the 1st for a return due to laggy Yaw, with no braking upon letting off stick.
All other DJI drones Brake when letting off Yaw Control, or "Steering Control", Not Mavic Mini?? DJI cheaped out.
It does NOT feel like all other DJI Drones like many youtubers reported??
Here are 2 quick video's I made to show what Im talking about comparing to a Spark. I started a Post about it, with very little response, So I bought a 2nd unit just to be sure I didn't have a dud, then made these 2 vids for othrs wondering the same thing...
Mavic Mini
DJI Spark

I noticed that right from the start when I flew my Mini for the first time. But I think that might be perfectly normal.

I can only explain it like this: Since the rotation / yaw of the drones is controlled by a change in the speed of the diagonally opposite motors, it must be due to the rotor blades, which are screwed on very loosely on the Mavic Mini and are therefore extremely flexible / swiveling. They are also closer to the center of the motor and for that two reasons are rotating (detached from the motor) more than the blades of other drones during flight. that is, if the motor speed changes for beginning or stopping the rotation, the blades “swing on” a little bit more because they are not so rigid in motion? So, the motors just can’t quickly transfer a motion change to the blades?

I can only compare it to my other drones and the Mavic Air and Mavic 2 Pro are very accurate when rotating and performing very slight horizontal adjustments with the left stick. The Mavic Air has rigid blades, they’re not foldable... And therefore, the blades just follow the motors‘ movements perfectly. The Mavic 2 blades are foldable but much bigger and they are not swiveling all the time ... the joint is more rigid.

But for me, the flight behavior is just fine and the product is what it is intended to be. Fine for me :)

Last edited:
No much an issue for me. Bear in mind that in actual use you will have video latency and also the gimbal lag. I wonder if you will see significant differences in the camera live view. What I know is the view via my M2P's camera does has substantial lag and I need to take care of that when framing a picture.

Last edited:
No, I'm out, and disappointed. many reviewers said "it feels like any other DJI Drone" But that is the farthest thing from the truth. The spark feels just like a Mavic 1 & 2, with that same robotic locked in feeling you see in the Spark Video, All other DJI drones Brake when letting off the yaw stick, Mavic Mini does NOT??. To me, the Mini feels like a $39 toy, other than the flight time, and great video. But its that slow lag then overshoots while making any yaw movements that kills it for me, and frankly I am surprised no others, but 1 other user complained about it, thats why I thought the 1st unit was defective. So this will be returned.

No, I'm out, and disappointed. many reviewers said "it feels like any other DJI Drone" But that is the farthest thing from the truth. The spark feels just like a Mavic 1 & 2, with that same robotic locked in feeling you see in the Spark Video, All other DJI drones Brake when letting off the yaw stick, Mavic Mini does NOT??. To me, the Mini feels like a $39 toy, other than the flight time, and great video. But its that slow lag then overshoots while making any yaw movements that kills it for me, and frankly I am surprised no others, but 1 other user complained about it, thats why I thought the 1st unit was defective. So this will be returned.
What was your principal motivation when you purchased it?

Hoping it might brake close to instantly when in a yaw is not only unrealistic- it probably can’t be done.

I’m trying to understand how this might prove to present a problem in using the drone for the intended purpose, photos and video.

In which flight mode you were testing it? In C mode it might be normal since all movements are slowed down.

In which flight mode you were testing it? In C mode it might be normal since all movements are slowed down.
it is clearly seeing was in P mode after the speed of rotation, in C would have been more slowly

Mavic Mini Yaw Issue Is A Deal Breaker For Me!! Anyone else??? This is my 2nd brand new Mavic Mini and its headed back to the store like the 1st for a return due to laggy Yaw, with no braking upon letting off stick.
All other DJI drones Brake when letting off Yaw Control, or "Steering Control", Not Mavic Mini?? DJI cheaped out.
Here are 2 quick video's I made to show what Im talking about comparing to a Spark. I started a Post about it, with very little response, So I bought a 2nd unit just to be sure I didn't have a dud, then made these 2 vids for othrs wondering the same thing...
Mavic Mini
DJI Spark
Jesus.... That's a deal-breaker? I think that's just finding fault for the sake of it. At 249g there surely have to be some sacrifices.

Mavic Mini
DJI Spark
Try turning up your gains.

the delay is there for a smoother 3 axis gimbal motion.
Spark is 2 axis and can break that sharp because it is only 2 axis.
Keeper for me.
Can’t imagine this being the case. Mavic Air also has a 3-axis and stops its yaw immediately... also M2 is very responsive.

Like I mentioned before... I think the rotor construction is the cause for the delay in reacting to start/stop the yaw movement. The blades or the joints are swiveling too much by design / construction.

Mine behaves the same. And I have no problem with that... like others said before.

Last edited:
Reactions: SouthButNotOut
What was your principal motivation when you purchased it?

Hoping it might brake close to instantly when in a yaw is not only unrealistic- it probably can’t be done.

I’m trying to understand how this might prove to present a problem in using the drone for the intended purpose, photos and video.
All other DJI Drones behave with a quick brake when letting up the stick, I know, I have had every model, and many others (Align, 3DR Solo, many home built APM hexes & quads) so I am not a newbie.
When filming at a subject, especially a moving subject, the mini constantly lags then overshoots the subject.
I'm so used to flying Mavic 2 lately and then going to the Mini really stinks, but Yet I pulled out the Spark and all controls, including Yaw feel the same as M2.
All other movements on Mini are nice and crisp, but DJI really screwed up the Yaw, and from what the other user who agree's with me said that his worked fine, just like the Spark video until he did a firmware update. So apparently it was originally working with a crisp Yaw until DJI fooled around with something?? The .200 Firmware is the lowest I can go, so no way to get back to an earlier version...

Reactions: Funnone
All other DJI Drones behave with a quick brake when letting up the stick, I know, I have had every model, and many others (Align, 3DR Solo, many home built APM hexes & quads) so I am not a newbie.
When filming at a subject, especially a moving subject, the mini constantly lags then overshoots the subject.
I'm so used to flying Mavic 2 lately and then going to the Mini really stinks, but Yet I pulled out the Spark and all controls, including Yaw feel the same as M2.
All other movements on Mini are nice and crisp, but DJI really screwed up the Yaw, and from what the other user who agree's with me said that his worked fine, just like the Spark video until he did a firmware update. So apparently it was originally working with a crisp Yaw until DJI fooled around with something?? The .200 Firmware is the lowest I can go, so no way to get back to an earlier version...
You could be safe in assuming that the DJI engineers didn't optimise the mechanical design and flight controller algorithms to maximise yaw speed and instant braking when smacking the rudder stick left and right to max deflection. The reality might be the FC algorithm sees your stick inputs as outside the range of what might be ordinarily intended by an operator.

Assuming your desired operation was possible- would it be conducive to smooth video in flight? There is a reason why ATTI can often provide for more pleasing footage- the absence of braking being a major benefit.

You could be safe in assuming that the DJI engineers didn't optimise the mechanical design and flight controller algorithms to maximise yaw speed and instant braking when smacking the rudder stick left and right to max deflection. The reality might be the FC algorithm sees your stick inputs as outside the range of what might be ordinarily intended by an operator.

Assuming your desired operation was possible- would it be conducive to smooth video in flight? There is a reason why ATTI can often provide for more pleasing footage- the absence of braking being a major benefit.
Do You own any other DJI Drones???

The Mini Does the same thing in P-GPS, Sport, C modes too...In the Spark vid I made, he was in ATTI mode too...
That locked in, robotic feel is what made DJI drones so popular from the get go with the Phantom, then all the others came next, DJI Mavic Mini IS DIFFERENT!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Electrakill21