DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini Yaw Issue Is A Deal Breaker For Me!!

Can other early adopters confirm on early firmware that it did yaw more Robotic and less laggy like in my Spark video on page 1??
This is what Ive been told from 2 users, just looking for more confirmation??

Reactions: Molto33
@sar104, so confirm if Im reading this correctly, The Black line represents when the yaw stick was pressed and the red line that follows is the response from the drone??
Yaw_1.png

If so my black circles are when I pressed Yaw and the Blue circles are the release of the Yaw stick, please confirm..Thank You...
Yaw_1HIGHLIGHTED.png

It is a drone meant for beginners not people like you with multiple DJI drones and with a lot of experience. You should manage your expectations. Also I've read that you said its more like a $39 toy drone, that is too much and unfair to say.

A lot of people that will buy this drone is beginners and will not care much about that yaw thing. I am using it and having a good time with it.

Yes you are right, it is unfair. It has great video and pictures, from a very good gimbal and many other great qualitys, but its not worth the $400 entry fee.
DJI built its reputation on a very serious platform, I dont feel this drone at this price level meets that reputation... Most disagree with me but some users do agree with me, they just choose to keep the drone, I have no idea why?? But I will be returning this because my plan was to replace my 2 Sparks with the Mini, but I find it it inferior to Spark, besides flight time. Im not trying hurt anyones feelings, Im a realist, and im just speaking my mind. I am happy you are having a blast with your Mini, thats what its all about, Im just disapointed from all the reviewers on youtube, they all claimed it flies like any other DJI Drone, Ive had them all except the Matrice & Wind Line, and can tell you they mislead me.
I hope you enjoy your Mini, I really do, I mean no ill will, but try a DJI Spark or Mavic Air and youll know what Im talking about..

Last edited:
Pitch and roll and throttle all feel normal, Its only yaw that feels delayed and sluggish, this was the 1st real test outside with the 2nd Mini, It seemed slightly better than the 1st, but still unacceptable from a $400 drone..
That half second delay in the yaw continues for about the same half second when letting off stick, causing overshoot in direction..

Again - complaining about yaw overshoot when you are violently yanking the rudder to maximum back and forth seems pointless. What kind of use case are you attempting to demonstrate?

Reactions: WithTheBirds
If so my black circles are when I pressed Yaw and the Blue circles are the release of the Yaw stick, please confirm..Thank You...
View attachment 90746

Correct - the black trace is the rudder input from the sticks in the range ± 10000, and the red line is the rate of change of yaw, calculated from the first derivative of the unwrapped yaw signal with respect to time, in °/s.

The response lag that I referred to is the delay that you marked on the graph between the application or removal of the stick input and the rotation of the aircraft. You can also look at it in terms of yaw rather than rate of yaw, but I don't think it's as clear:

Yaw.png

Again - complaining about yaw overshoot when you are violently yanking the rudder to maximum back and forth seems pointless. What kind of use case are you attempting to demonstrate?
Yes this was worst case scenerio, but the way the EXP is preset, its not setup very well for following a subject, and its not adjustable.
I will upload a Flight from Spark or Mavic Air and I would like to see the comparison...

Last edited:
Reactions: sar104
For what is worth, I have had several PM's with people agreeing with me, But most (just about all) are keeping their Mini's & just dealing with it.. And I don't understand why DJI would break away from their usual mode of control, unless it had to be done to achieve the low weight, or fix another issue. But from what im told, early firmware had the traditional yaw braking like other DJI Drones do?? One user is on an active search to find an early October model firmware Mini just to get that crisp yaw back, So Im not the only one that is as passionate with this issue.

Last edited:
I film mostly moving Motorsports objects, Sand Rails, Motocross, Boats, Drag Racing, even slower things like BMX Racing, Deer, etc. But occasionally static objects like Buildings over time while building goes up, And many other things. But the majority of my Droning is filming video of moving objects, I hardly ever take Photos. I'm not a professional just a hobbyist. I have so many mavic Pro's, one setup for high speed, One for quiet operation for wildlife, One modded for extra batteries, One with a dropper for fishing, one specifically for cold weather, etc. Probably have 10 or 12 Mavic Pro's, alot were rebuilt wrecks, a couple bought new. Also have Mavic 2 Pro & Zoom and still have most previous DJI Drones, but I probably fly MP1 more than any other..

Reactions: sar104
@sar104 , Here is Spark doing similar "unrealistic Flight" doing squares around my property, with the exception to quick run to the East & back..

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2020-01-14_[18-02-44].txt
    531.3 KB · Views: 6
At this point I understand your issue. But don’t think it has any true effect on what you are doing with it. Seems more like you just want to complain about a great little drone. Is it the same as drones twice the cost nope wasn’t meant to be. Does it act differently yep sure does. Do they sell for more than a spark yep they do. Why cause it is more portable.

do 95% of people care about this small feature you are referring to doesn’t seem so. But I get it you excepted what you are use to. So fly the spark or a mavic Pro or whatever else you have. Return your mini and move on.

Reactions: Guarf and Antshill
At this point I understand your issue. But don’t think it has any true effect on what you are doing with it. Seems more like you just want to complain about a great little drone. Is it the same as drones twice the cost nope wasn’t meant to be. Does it act differently yep sure does. Do they sell for more than a spark yep they do. Why cause it is more portable.

do 95% of people care about this small feature you are referring to doesn’t seem so. But I get it you excepted what you are use to. So fly the spark or a mavic Pro or whatever else you have. Return your mini and move on.
It has a serious affect to me, I cant nail down down the turns smoothly because it over shoots slightly..
If I really just wanted to complain about it, There are alot of other things to Nitpick, like----
1. Distortion of video on bottom edge of frame?
2. Need a newer 64 bit Advanced phone on a beginner drone?
3. Battery leds stay on when fully charged?
4. Cineamatic mode is same as Tripod mode-why name change??
5. why no 2.4ghz mode in the U.S.??
6. No USB-A on bottom of Remote?
I'm waiting for @sar104 to graph the Spark Flight above to compare to the Mini. Also waiting on another user who claims this wasn't a problem in early firmware, He is waiting for an older Mini to be delivered.
I'm sorry if I'm bothering you, just speaking how I feel.. And your Right, I'm really surprised more users dont have a problem with this??

Last edited:
If you think that split second of braking is effect how you turn. It’s not. Let’s be honest. Like anything your body reacts to what you have. If anything it is a bit smoother than having breaking. Muscle memory would let you know to release sooner.
Why wouldn’t you want a newer phone to use.
cinematic mode compared to tripod. If it’s the same what does it matter what they decided to call it.
No 2.4 probably because 5.8ghz is safer in the US. Idk
No usb that’s a great one. Wish it had one cause when using my tablet having that extra cable sucks.

like I said I get why you are upset but don’t think it causes you to bash the mavic mini for what it is. A beginner drone with great features and fly time for a fraction of the cost of other dji drones. I love mine.

i didn't notice it, it mainly use it for capturing pictures and videos, if you move the stick all the way you are sending it to move faster, it is just smoothing the movement, same happens with the gimbal options, if you turn the smoothness too high it will continue moving.
i do not mind since it helps smoothing the video.

i didn't notice it, it mainly use it for capturing pictures and videos, if you move the stick all the way you are sending it to move faster, it is just smoothing the movement, same happens with the gimbal options, if you turn the smoothness too high it will continue moving.
i do not mind since it helps smoothing the video.
Bingo

Must say i understand what mrreddog is talking about. I am new to drones, but from the very first flight seemed that yaw commands are a bit laggy and exactly that overshooting subject was happening. Thought it has to be that way with quads, but now, seeing how spark and pro are precise, looks like mini is made that way on purpose. Maybe battery life is longer without braking? Anyway, DJI could change it with new firmware if they want. Is it a deal breaker for me? No. I am geting used to it, but would love to have it yawing precise.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hcastro