DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic not working after not being used.

Clayton1985

Reactions
Hi, I'm hoping someone can offer some advice. I bought my Mavic air about 18 months ago. It got used a few times the first six months but then we had a baby and It got packed away as the time wasn't really there. It had no crashes and was packed away safely.

I took it out today and as expected it asked for a few updates BUT when entering the app I got quite a few error codes. They are as follows

gimbal cannot receive main controller data

Accelerometer failed

Gyroscope error

Check "overall status" in main controller settings

It also says there is an IMU error

It's not letting me fix/recalibrate any of these issues. I've tried turning on and off and just wondered if it's something I've done or has it been damaged from just being not used? Any help would be more than appreciated even if it's just advising that it needs to be sent off to get fixed. Thanks in advance

I recollect reading that with Phantoms, accelerometers can stick if the drone has not been used for a long time, the solution being to give the drone a smart smack with the heel of your hand etc. I encountered this once and the solution did work on that drone. If no one states otherwise it might be worth a try.

Reactions: hiflyer201
I have had my Phantom 4 in storage for almost two years, taken it out, and had no issues.

Now I cycle the batteries at least once every 6 months between storage charge and full charge (letting it settle back to storage charge automatically) and have had no battery issues either.

I am wondering if these "errors" are because the drones are being stored in either wildly fluctuating temperatures (ie, garage or attic where they will freeze at below zero or bake at elevated temps), or if they are stored next to magnetic sources (say being placed next to or on top of speakers in a closet)?

Personally I view my drones as an expensive piece of camera equipment and store them in cases with desiccant (to control moisture) as well as in temperature controlled areas without magnetic fields be present (large walk-in closet used for clothing in my case).

Might also be worth reloading firmware if technicians thump doesnt work. Seems that sometimes can take 2 or 3 goes for it to load properly especially if you have slow internet

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa