DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Platinum Props on a Mavic Pro Noise Test

"The 8331 propellers have a brand new aerodynamic design giving the Mavic Pro series an impressive noise control performance. When used with the Mavic Pro Platinum, up to 4dB (60%) of aircraft noise is lowered during takeoff and landing, and flight time is extended to 30 minutes. Noise reduction and flight time are also enhanced when used with the Mavic Pro, but not as much."

That's the description found here on DJI's 8331 propeller sale page. They just say it's going to affect the takeoff and landing noise, which is really just a marketing ploy to try to get new users to dump $100 on a shiny version of the Mavic Pro, that has a couple minutes extra battery life. Everyone sees "60% noise reduction" and just tunes out the rest, then it spreads like wildfire, just DJI, doing their marketing as they do so well.

Gotta love marketing, am I right?

FedEx just dropped off my Prop's this AM, did a quick test using my Radio Shack Sound Level Meter. Seems the dB is down about 2-3. Not highly noticeable but the pitch seems to be different. Also realized my neighbors need to STHU when I am testing LOL.

The slight dB reduction is nice but one thing I noticed when switching the props without shutting anything off was that the Mavic was a little bit more stable hovering. Did this test outside with GPS with little (1-2mph) to no wind.

Would be interesting to see if others notice a little bit better stability on hovering.

FedEx just dropped off my Prop's this AM, did a quick test using my Radio Shack Sound Level Meter. Seems the dB is down about 2-3. Not highly noticeable ...

That's a bit like it being about 1.4 times as far away; not stunning during takeoff/landing, but useful. When 50m from a pedestrian, however, it would sound as though it were 70m away, which is definitely an improvement because the actual drone-sound:noise ratio will probably be lower than at takeoff, in most environments.

... but the pitch seems to be different.

This could actually be more significant, if, for example, the sound generated had fewer higher frequencies. The more like a sine wave the sound is the less annoying it is likely to be.

Mike

That's a bit like it being about 1.4 times as far away; not stunning during takeoff/landing, but useful. When 50m from a pedestrian, however, it would sound as though it were 70m away, which is definitely an improvement because the actual drone-sound:noise ratio will probably be lower than at takeoff, in most environments.

This could actually be more significant, if, for example, the sound generated had fewer higher frequencies. The more like a sine wave the sound is the less annoying it is likely to be.

Mike

I was only about 2 meters away, I would imagine as it moves away it would become more difficult to measure.

I was only about 2 meters away, I would imagine as it moves away it would become more difficult to measure.

Yes that's a good distance for measuring (further away, ambient noise might/will distort the result).

Having just got my Platinum blades for my Mavic Pro, I am not impressed. I mounted an audio meter outdoors on a tripod 1 metre from a mark to which I aligned the Mavic in flight (checked x, y and z axes). There was no significant breeze to effect the readings. As I could already hear that there was a tonal difference, I selected the C weighting on the meter to include frequencies below 500Hz. With the fluctuations in prop noise in stable flight, it was difficult to determine any difference in readings between the old and new props. As for claiming 1dB. That is the limit of human detection of level differences, so can anyone claim a major difference in perceived level to the ear? What I did hear was a reduction in lower frequencies and a faint high pitched whistle (which gets annoying at close quarters). It is probably that tonal change that people are equating to a change in level. (The test videos are also questionable. They used A weighting. As I found, the level changes considerably during measurement so can't get an exact reading. The first indoor video has a superfluous no-prop test. There will be reflection from the surface that the Mavic sits on. The second video handholds the meter quite close to the Mavic where even a small difference in distance - inverse square law - will change the reading)

This vid seems to have tested the db difference quite scientifically, much more so than just listening by ear. I would take it that the motors on the Platinum are either not the same motor, or the new ESC has made a big difference to their running volume somehow.
Either way, looks like maybe only a 30% sound drop from the props alone. (completely unmathematical guess by me)
From what i have seen the new props when put on a Pro have a lower pitch but put minor stress on the motors do to the disgn ands weight differnece and thats where the new ESC board comes into place.

As I could already hear that there was a tonal difference, I selected the C weighting on the meter to include frequencies below 500Hz. ... They used A weighting.
Since A weighting replicates the sensitivity of the human ear, it makes sense to use comparisons based on A weighting. Unless, of course, you're not human. FWIW, they both include frequencies below 500hz, A weighting simply rolls off sensitivity at lower frequencies like our ears do.
frequency-weightings.jpg

Reactions: mfc
"The 8
Gotta love marketing, am I right?
Yup.... Marketing. Why won't DJI do an official test - new props on old.

And in regards to pixel binning 60/96fps, DJI also mounted a new camera on the Platinum. Why didnt they market the new camera hardware? I guess It would emphasize that they had fixed a "known" faulty issue with the Mavic Pro's camera.

I put my new Platinum props on my Pro last night and to me it did seem quieter. I also noticed that the rpm's at hover seem to be less. I believe before my hover rpm's were around the 550 mark and now they are right around the 490-505 with no wind. I could be wrong as it was late last night and I just took it outside to bring to a hover at eye level to test it before getting destroyed by mosquitoes.

Reactions: Advexure and mfc
Mine finally arrived this morning. Wind should be under 20mph tomorrow; may get to check them out.

Nice test, thanks for sharing. Can't tell you how often people ask us how much of a difference the Low-Noise Props make. Being able to point folks to factual tests like this is very helpful. Much appreciated.

Plenty hundreds of Low-Noise Mavic Props back IN STOCK. Only DJI 100% Authentic OEM here at Advexure.

Order Here: Mavic Pro Low-Noise Propellers (Gold Tips) – DJI Authorized Dealer

Mavic-Pro-Low-Noise-Advexure.jpg

Safe [quiet] flying, all. ;)

Never heard the originals. I have the mpp for a week now. I can hear it at 300 ft above my head. Yes it is quieter than other expensive DJI drones I see buzzing around.

I expected it to be quieter given all the hype. Either way I am happy with my purchase and I get plenty of flight time.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929