DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro 1 vs 2 - "Lost" features?

I did not try with ffmpeg because subtitles should be available in VLC if they were there, like on the P4P. And they're not. I think DJI took with the M2 the same route as with the Mavic Air: remove location data from SRT files and increase frequency.
Thanks for clarifying! :cool:

After getting mine and seeing the feature list from the 0.600 -> 1.000 release notes, I have absolutely no doubt that PL, CL, HL, and most of the other "standard" features that have been there across the product lines will be added.

I've been involved in software development for 30 years. This has a very familiar feel to it. Product was behind, something was screwing with those features, so they just disabled them and released, judging that those things would not materially impact sales. I think they made a wise decision, even if it pisses me, and others, off.

[isn't it fascinating that "pisses" is entirely acceptable on the forum, but a word starting with c and ending with p with a ra in the middle is not? Oh the humanity :rolleyes:]

Reactions: TBird and mcsenerd
Every time there's a new drone release, those with small ones (hint) show up for size comparisons, implying how big "theirs" is by boasting about the litmus test of using Precision Landing.

FWIW, I'm probably among the 25-50 most experienced pilots here. I bother to perform such control maneuvers as coordinated turns, unconciously, while flying.

That said, I always use PL. Why wouldn't I?

'Been driving a long time too, and pretty darn good at that. Guess what? I use cruise control. All the time.

RTH? USe that almost every time too, if I'm any distance away. Oh the horrors!

Need to keep my landing skills from getting rusty? Please. Like I need to ride a bike now and then so I don't forget.

I really wish people would grow up.

Ageee with most of what you said. Curious why you need to make coordinated turns on a Mavic and if there is even such a thing for quadcopters?

For more likely a rushed development, rushed release and "fix it later".
Yes, because they know there are thousands of suckers like us that will drop everything and buy a shiny new product, sight unseen, no matter how much they leave out of it. They aren't stupid -- we are. That said, I'm still glad I bought mine. With all the missing features, it's still superior to the original Mavic in nearly every way.

Yes, but if I buy a car, and the sales manager tells me during the car presentation that my car will have air conditioning, then I expect to get the car with the coolant installed and working from day one, and not “maybe later”. There was never a “maybe later” warning or disclaimer in that DJI presentation either, when the LEDs were advertised.

You're absolutely correct, of course. However, DJI is a China based company. American laws prohibiting false advertising do not apply. They can pretty much get away with anything as long as we keep buying their products. Unless and until we see some real, legit competition in the consumer drone space, these types of shenanigans will become the norm.

Reactions: Capra Vecinului
Ageee with most of what you said. Curious why you need to make coordinated turns on a Mavic and if there is even such a thing for quadcopters?
For the same reason you need to coordinate turns on a fixed wing or heli.

Physics operates on quads the same as anything else. Because of momentum, a quad will "slide" around a turn just like a plane will, if you don't compensate with some roll in the same direction. The sharper the turn and higher the speed, the worse this will be.

Learn to coordinate yaw and roll perfectly, and you can carve very nice, well controlled curves.

For the same reason you need to coordinate turns on a fixed wing or heli.

Physics operates on quads the same as anything else. Because of momentum, a quad will "slide" around a turn just like a plane will, if you don't compensate with some roll in the same direction. The sharper the turn and higher the speed, the worse this will be.

Learn to coordinate yaw and roll perfectly, and you can carve very nice, well controlled curves.

Still trying to understand this. So can a quadcopter spin out and fall out of the sky?

I had fun doing coordinated turns with my P3A. I even put the gimbal in FPV mode.
Coordinated turns aren't really too hard. Simply move sticks in same left/right direction.

I even tried reverse-coordinated for the fun of it.

Since this is my first DJI quad I didn't lose much; in fact I gained a bunch.

So far very pleased and will be more pleased when DJI updates things.

Do you know what coordinated turns are?

Just read up a little on this including your post here. It was a good read, thanks for the info.

Like you I am a private pilot and am familiar with coordinated turns. Was simply trying to understand if their main purpose with quads is to have smoother sharper turns or is it to prevent a spin stall crash. Basically, I’m curious about the aerodynamic effects on a quad and it seems inherently different than a fixed wing aircraft.

Just read up a little on this including your post here. It was a good read, thanks for the info.

Like you I am a private pilot and am familiar with coordinated turns. Was simply trying to understand if their main purpose with quads is to have smoother sharper turns or is it to prevent a spin stall crash. Basically, I’m curious about the aerodynamic effects on a quad and it seems inherently different than a fixed wing aircraft.
at first thought, it might seem that way because the design is so different. However, the fundamentals -- lift, thrust, drag, gravity -- all cause the same flight requirements for any aircraft.

For this paricular behavior, it doesn't matter how the aircraft (or object, fully generalize) produces lift and thrust; the coordinating a direction change presents the same scenario whether it's a 747, or a baseball (with little thrusters and lifting jets :))

Initially waypoints were included, the test units were sent to the reviewers with the GO4 that had the feature.
DJI has removed it from the commercial version... Wonder why they crippled the app for paying customers...

Here is a German reviewer who shows in his tutorial how to use waypoints in M2P. Watch from 2:33

Spamming the same thing in multiple threads doesn't make your claim any me true.

As you've been told elsewhere, it's fairly common for software to have serious bugs and need to have featured disabled as it can't be fixed in time for an adhesive 3 release date.
DJI themselves day3 it's coming soon in the manual.
Initially waypoints were included, the test units were sent to the reviewers with the GO4 that had the feature.
DJI has removed it from the commercial version... Wonder why they crippled the app for paying customers...

Here is a German reviewer who shows in his tutorial how to use waypoints in M2P. Watch from 2:33

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet