DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro 2 - image sometimes soft ???

peros550

Reactions
Haven't received mine yet, and I am watching again and again videos on youtube.

Is it just me or did anybody else noticed that sometimes videos of M2P look a bit soft?

Examples:

Look at the sand , how more detailed it looks on Mavic 1 video here
Another example that looks soft to me here

Hope I am wrong anyway!

It's more likely that the MP1 clips are actually oversharpened which also causes loads of unwanted side-effects like flickering (you can see that in the Neistat clips too). I think the default sharpening on MP2 has been lowered, but I'd guestimate that if you want to get crispier clips, MP2 clips should sharpen much better without side-effects (either by dialing in more sharpening on the device, or preferably, sharpingin in post)

The sand isn't more detailed, it's got the classic oversharpening of the Mavic - it's actually a significant drawback.
Also Neistat's editing is poor, the M2Z footage that can be seen suring the side by side comparison is actually much less good than when he has it full screen, he must have done a destructive step inbetween. Framerates are also not matched.
And most of the handheld and bench footage is low quality or out of focus...

Don't use Casey for an actual reference of proper video production... only for the marketing BS.

People need to find the proper settings and processing techniques for the new one. They also need to be aware that after raving about things like variable aperture they now have to be careful about using it correctly, etc.

But It is clear the pro at least with default settings is meant for applications where you're going to post process, not for out of the box readiness. Haven't seen people stretch the settings to see if it can do the latter too.
Zoom seems to be more "consumer processed".

Yes my impression (I have the mavic 2 pro) is softer images. Also most of the online video comparisons on youtube show this.
I am also a bit concerned that still images are more out of focus than on my mavic pro 1. Need to do more tests but so far the AEB stitched panoramas I have done with the Hasselblad are worse than the ones I did on my old mavic pro! I am hoping this is just a user-issue (me!), but I am concerned.

Remember the mavic 1 needed sharpening+1 set or the whole thing went to mush. M2 doesnt need that.
These videos really tell us nothing. We know nothing of the individual settings (so they're not comparing like with like) then its compressed with fairly brutal lossy compression and shoved on youtube.

The M2Pro DLOG is softer than the "None" profile by default (which makes sense - you're shooting in log so everything colour and sharpness SHOULD be done in post) but thats about it.
Im amazed at how much more definition i have for still images in the camera - it really shows how awful the mavic 1 was.

Reactions: Joola
Hope someone will post up a vid with +1 or 2 on the sharpness... I'm curious to see what the footage will look like. and maybe a lower w/b setting, like 2k lol =P

Remember the mavic 1 needed sharpening+1 set or the whole thing went to mush. M2 doesnt need that.
These videos really tell us nothing. We know nothing of the individual settings (so they're not comparing like with like) then its compressed with fairly brutal lossy compression and shoved on youtube.

The M2Pro DLOG is softer than the "None" profile by default (which makes sense - you're shooting in log so everything colour and sharpness SHOULD be done in post) but thats about it.
Im amazed at how much more definition i have for still images in the camera - it really shows how awful the mavic 1 was.

In my tests M2P video looks softer almost on all color profiles vs original Mavic Pro, which I used to set sharpness to +1. I am not pro photographer and prefer more crisp video. Interesting if you look at single frame in editor, they look somehow sharper than over all exported video. Also I noticed increasing sharpness on M2P doesn't give you so much visible picture change as MP. (need more extensive testing in different lights) I don't want to say it is bad picture on M2P, in my opinion it is great, just different. It is different camera, so picture may vary as well.
Like I mentioned, I am not a pro, but noticed that better sharpness on M2P can be achieved also by adjusting aperture settings to get different depth of field results. Unfortunately weather in my area doesn't cooperate lately, so I wasn't able to fly/test a lot. If someone can share some insights on M2P aperture / shutter / sharpens settings, that would be very helpful.
I know there are some concerns about M2P, but IMO it is great drone and it needs to mature with future fw updates.
The only real problem I see with M2P now, it makes my beloved MP only as so, so drone....

I could also mention, that with a 1" sensor, you have to pay more attention to focus, even when stopped down a bit.

Remember kids, this is "only" a 28mm equivalent lens; it won't offer quite the same capabilities as a full frame 28mm, no matter how good hasselblad's lenses are. Stop it down too much and you'll start losing significant detail, at this point you should be landing and applying ND filters.

Having said that it's still a fantastic piece of equipment, especially given the folding form factor ^_^

Reactions: Blades
The Mavic-2 Pro line skips in FOV mode. Grass and trees will look very "waxy" and "muddy". The Phantom 4 Pro does a full pixel readout in 4k 30p and resolves FAR more fine detail. On any Mavic-2 Pro....make a 2.7k recording then a "4k" recording in FOV wide. You will see them look almost completely identical in trees and foliage....soft mushy greens

Reactions: Fireblade
I could also mention, that with a 1" sensor, you have to pay more attention to focus, even when stopped down a bit.

Not really, its still a small sensor and wide lens. Even wide open you hit infinity focus at about 3.3m.

It's not "all" about having a 1 inch-type sensor. That's only HALF the story. You can take two of the exact same sensors and read them out in different ways.

Scan one with a full pixel readout in 16x9 or a 5k to 4k scaling....and the other with a RGGB line skip to equal a crude 1:1 deBayer.

THE RESULT WILL BE TWO VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY DIFFERENT IMAGES!!

(not "yelling"...lol....just want that to be extremely clear)

CT ;-)

It's not "all" about having a 1 inch-type sensor. That's only HALF the story. You can take two of the exact same sensors and read them out in different ways.

Scan one with a full pixel readout in 16x9 or a 5k to 4k scaling....and the other with a RGGB line skip to equal a crude 1:1 deBayer.

THE RESULT WILL BE TWO VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY DIFFERENT IMAGES!!

(not "yelling"...lol....just want that to be extremely clear)

CT ;-)

Curious: Where do you get the kind of detailed inner workings specifications to declare with certainty that the full FOV is read out the way you describe?

Curious: Where do you get the kind of detailed inner workings specifications to declare with certainty that the full FOV is read out the way you describe?
I forget where I read it, but it's definitely the case, which is one reason why there's a cropped "hq" option. There's a lot of confusion about this, with people thinking the cropped version should be worse because it only uses part of the sensor. Well, the cropped version DOES have more noise, but in most ways it is better quality because no destructive image scaling methods are used. Now, some cameras with 1" sensors, such as the RX100, don't use line skipping or pixel binning when downscaling for 4k video, and for those cameras the full fov video image is better, in much the same way that 4k downscaled to 1080p in an editing program looks more detailed than footage shot directly in 1080p. In this way, the m2 pro's camera is definitely NOT as good as an RX100, for 4k video at least, despite having the same size sensor. Photography is another story, and that's where the m2 pro especially shines. But it's still better than the m2 zoom for video in most ways, especially in hq mode. Better dynamic range, better in low light. But in full fov mode, yeah, it can look less sharp than the zoom, so people feel mislead.

Reactions: Nathan Hoover
Simple, this is a process commonly used on cameras, and the image looks like an image that has gone through it.

Reactions: Goof
Why don't you test it with a comparable template? Just use the 2nd last page of the linked PDF, print it out on a 1200 dpi Laser or display the page on an 4K Monitor and focus on it. Record with the M2P in HQ, FOV and wide angle/zoom on the M2Z.

I am looking forward of seeing your results. I saw the comparison between the P4P and the M2P. The P4P is 2 years older but resolution is far better. (Erstflug, Video, Erfahrungen - Seite 2 - DJI Mavic 2)

PDF: https://vcc.zih.tu-dresden.de/files/vc/tests/testbilder/anleitung.pdf

Fantastic quality !! Ouahhh !

Can you explain what is processed with Resolve 15 Studio ( Free version ??? ) Rec2020 HLG Arib std B67

THK

Studio version is not free. It offers very good noise reduction capabilities among numerous other things.

The ability to define input, edit and output color spaces may be available in the free version. Not sure about that.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mountainmanflyin