DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro 2 Motor Failure : crash and lost. What to do ?

Reactions
Hi there !

Sad day for me today. My Drone crashed after a short 6 month life, and I have no money to buy another one…

There were no wind, no obstacles, It had still enough batteries.

The Drone was flying normally, and after completing a 360 panorama, it suddenly falled of around 15 meters in the air, like if it was doing some kind of pirouettes and it miraculously stabilized.

Scared, I flew it directly to the home point, to get him back as soon as possible. And then all of a sudden, he fell again from the air at 270 meters of altitude and lost his signal

Surprisingly, the signal indicates that he lost connection at 191 meters high, while the ground rises to a 30 meters at that point. This is a jungle area on the north coast of Colombia.

I walked up the river for one hour, then I searched for it for two hours on the very uneven ground, in the very dense forest. Mosquitoes, spiders and ticks were very happy to find me there.

Despite the desperate search with Find My Drone function, nothing to do, it did not seem to be where the GPS had stopped.

I’d really like to know why he crashed… I guess the one motor stopped running

Is there any point in writing to DJI support? Is there anything to do?

In advance many thanks for your help

Here is the Log File if somebody would like to see how it crashed :

DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Oh no, sorry to hear if your M2P incident.
Hopefully @sar104 or @BudWalker (hope I got those tags right, the phone doesn’t have them come up automatically) can give you a much more accurate location to search, but it sounds like a very inhospitable location.
Good luck with a follow up search with a more likely place to check.

Oh no, sorry to hear if your M2P incident.
Hopefully @sar104 or @BudWalker (hope I got those tags right, the phone doesn’t have them come up automatically) can give you a much more accurate location to search, but it sounds like a very inhospitable location.
Good luck with a follow up search with a more likely place to check.
Thanks a lot for your feedback. I am not sure to get back there, it's like 1h30 walking in the river because there are no footpath, only jungle, and my body is full of mosquito bites... As the GPS shows it lost it's signal very close to the river. Maybe it hit some trees and fell direclty before falling in the water...
What a pitty, the images were so beautiful !!

Ah sounds like it would be worse than looking for a needle in a haystack !!
At least the fellas might be able to let you know what likely happened, and where it might have ended up, for interest sake at least.
Hope you can get back into flying soon, I know the M2P would be terrible to lose.

By the way, what do you mean by this ?

Sorry missed that, most times the log ends and find my drone just isn’t where the drone really ends up, forced landings, drift, etc.
if you look at some of the drone loss analysis done in the past, the fellas are very good at giving people a search area very accurately, and many do end up finding their drones very near the where they’ve been told to look.

Reactions: Gindra
Sorry missed that, most times the log ends and find my drone just isn’t where the drone really ends up, forced landings, drift, etc.
if you look at some of the drone loss analysis done in the past, the fellas are very good at giving people a search area very accurately, and many do end up finding their drones very near the where they’ve been told to look.
Great, it gives me a bit of hope. I would come back with a machete in the jungle ;-)

Sorry to hear about your loss @Tristan29photography. If you also post the DAT file from the mobile device you were using to fly you would have a better chance of (a) understanding what happened, and (b) recovering the drone if that is at all possible; and (c) deciding if you should approach DJI with a warranty claim. Once you have uploaded the DAT, give @sar104 a mention - he is the ultimate expert in post crash analysis.

Yes ... for this one we need the DAT file from the mobile device (Under both iOS and Android they are in a subfolder, MCDatFlightRecords, in the folder that contains the TXT logs). Then attach it in a new post here.

In the very end of the recorded flight I find 2 anomalies that are consequences of something else affecting the propulsion system ... The first is a heavy shift in tilt inclination that starts without any stick inputs beside full ascending (full throttle down ... stick mode 1), the second is that a "isNotEnoughForce=TRUE" is triggered just after.

2020-01-15_12-51-03.jpg

Reactions: NedKelly
The flight seems to have experienced many issues from early on which are far too many and some beyond my level to understand let alone interpret. But this from the DAT event stream log is clear as day; something happened to the AC mid air. Perhaps a collision?
867.161 : 45545 [L-FDI][CTRL]: fault on , impact_in_air
867.181 : 45546 [L-RC]craft ctrl failed!!!
867.301 : 45552 [L-FDI][CTRL]: fault off, impact_in_air

The AC did stabilize after the incident like you say but not for long. This one will need to be analyzed by @sar104.

The flight seems to have experienced many issues from early on which are far too many and some beyond my level to understand let alone interpret. But this from the DAT event stream log is clear as day; something happened to the AC mid air. Perhaps a collision?

The AC did stabilize after the incident like you say but not for long. This one will need to be analyzed by @sar104.
Yeah ... a lot of parameters peaks at around 867sec & in the very last seconds ... magmod, disagreement yaw/magyaw, tilt inclination & it looks to be some funky with the rear left motor. Will be interesting to see what sar104 comes up with...

Last edited:
First thought was it might have been attacked by a bird. But logs doesn’t show it might be that case. What I found odd was that it was showing 84% battery for most of the flight. Doesn’t make sense after 15mins+ of flight time.

First thought was it might have been attacked by a bird. But logs doesn’t show it might be that case. What I found odd was that it was showing 84% battery for most of the flight. Doesn’t make sense after 15mins+ of flight time.

For the battery, in my DJI Go app on mobile, I see that I started at 96% and endend at 27%. The log say 84%, I don t know why...

Yes I also first thought it was a bird, because the first impact was a bit violent to see in camera.( But didn t see any bird after impact...)

The drone was shaking a little after the first impact and was not stable any more.

I immediately got a message saying that the gimbal motor was overloaded ( it doesn't appear in the flight record),

and also another message saying the downard sensor was not working due to low light ( strange because it was 08:30am with full light).

So I flew back with no stabilization and some tiny shakes.

for the 2nd impact, I was still high with no obstacle in front, flying at full P mode speed. I guess a bird could not track a drone a that speed...

@Tristan29photography You may have been correct on your initial thought. It certainly does appear as a mid-air impact of some sort.

1579103244184.png

Reactions: NedKelly and slup
@Tristan29photography You may have been correct on your initial thought. It certainly does appear as a mid-air impact of some sort.

View attachment 90878
Yes it seems to be the last possible hypothesis...
What give me doubts is that the drone showed strange behaviour in it's controls after the first impact ( because even if a propeller was damaged, It should have been continuing to fly consistently and not having micro stops and shakes). Also it received a message saying "downward obstacle sensor is not working, ambient light is too low..." Just after first impact. Lastly, I find strange to be hit a 2nd time at full horizontal speed

Yes it seems to be the last possible hypothesis...
What give me doubts is that the drone showed strange behaviour in it's controls after the first impact ( because even if a propeller was damaged, It should have been continuing to fly consistently and not having micro stops and shakes). Also it received a message saying "downward obstacle sensor is not working, ambient light is too low..." Just after first impact. Lastly, I find strange to be hit a 2nd time at full horizontal speed
If it actually was a mid air hit at 867sec (which alot points to)... the second incident in the end that finally kills the drone probably was a consequence coming from damages from what happened at 867sec.

@Fly Dawg , I think it's some funky with the engine data for the rear left in the last seconds of the flight, take a look & see if you agree... if it quit working perhaps the M2P flipped, shut down & fell like a rock.

@slup I'm not convinced that this was a motor issue. Both of the "impacts" are similar in response. If you look at only the roll values for both, they are opposite. If this was ( as it appears to be ) a bird impact, the second one was from the opposite side.

1579112255736.png

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair