DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro 2 Precision Landing

Hi Everyone, I have read most of the problems with the precision landing on the new Mavic 2 like most of you. All I could hope for is like all of you that there is an update that will put it all back along with digital zoom like the Mavic pro. Any zoom is better then none at all I think. Back to the precision landing thing. I fly in a very confined area by choice. Meaning that I take off and land is a very small area. I do most of my daytime flying right out of my car from the inside where ever I am at. And I land and take off from the roof of my car with my antennas a little more than a foot away. Most of the time is all I will need. I have never had any problems with either of my Mavic pros with landing or RTH on it. Night time flying I fly from my house I built a landing pad with lights so I can see when returning. When I land at home I have a few sail awnings/shade and at the end of each one has are parachute cords that keep them up. The dead center of the landing pad is 2 1/2 ft from the first cord. and the other sides are handrails So in both cases, I am landing with about 24 inches which is fine until the RTH comes in. After reading all if this bad news. I said I would not count on it as before. But I wanted to see for myself how bad it really was 8,12, ft off?. I think you will be surprised at what happened to me! Just sharing not gloating mind you. First, when I hit RTH it came back as it should. But it took much longer before it started to descend. Took much longer than the old Mavic pro. I was just about to take over. When that sweet voice said to me. ( Landing.) All was right again. I did the RTH twice in about 10 mins apart and the same results. Both times landing on the pad. Like some of you who are still waiting for your extra batteries. So there is only so much time and I had to stop, I had a fun run around before at race track from the gate to the end. Of Cause, the track was closed. I fly safe, not crazy! It took me about an hour until I could stop smiling. Is this not a great hobby? So, Please take a look and tell me what you think. tried to load the other landing video. What do you mean file too large? :mad:
DJI_0261_Trim (2)_Trim_Trim.mp4

OneDrive

So here is my? Am I the only one? Or am I bias, because she is my new baby? Or are there many others out there that have had better luck with the precision landing than others. or Did I just Get a Lemon? The real? now is, will the new update help me or the other way around? Only time will tell. And DJI will let us know when. All Good

Happy and Safe Flying

Attachments

• car top.jpg
    car top.jpg
    383.1 KB · Views: 56
  • file2.jpeg
    file2.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 61
  • DJI_0215.JPG
    DJI_0215.JPG
    410.4 KB · Views: 63
  • nt.jpg
    nt.jpg
    315.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0695-s.jpg
    IMG_0695-s.jpg
    300 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
GPS accuracy can be 3-5m depending on the geometry. It can be lower if the sky is obscured in any direction (ie buildings, trees etc).

You need to do the test separated by hours and over a few days to take into account the changing geometry of the satellites.

I've tried it a lot. One one 20 minute or so period in 5 flights it landed between 6 inches and 3ft out.

I tried the tests again some 6 hours later in a not so open position. The best i got was 8ft, the worst was about 12ft.

Reactions: boldblue737
It's charging, It's charging! I'll try some more. batteries coming. The sad truth is, I will baby the hell out of this new one and not take chances with it. I take care of my toys.my baby still has that new smell of formaldehyde on it. I know that with 2 old and one new in hand. One will do things that one have not yet done before one was with only two. I did not go over the ocean until I has gotten a second Mavic a refurbished one. now they fly out together to sea with waypoints in Litchi filming each other. I Thanks for the info gnirtS, I'll keep all that in mind when trying next time and see. Happy with what I saw with the first two tries. But was also smart enough not to trusted it try the second with the pad on the car to test it. :eek:

GPS accuracy can be 3-5m depending on the geometry. It can be lower if the sky is obscured in any direction (ie buildings, trees etc).

You need to do the test separated by hours and over a few days to take into account the changing geometry of the satellites.

I've tried it a lot. One one 20 minute or so period in 5 flights it landed between 6 inches and 3ft out.

I tried the tests again some 6 hours later in a not so open position. The best i got was 8ft, the worst was about 12ft.

Thanks, very interesting insight from you in particular. It seems DJI have responded to our constructive point of view.

Thanks, very interesting insight from you in particular. It seems DJI have responded to our constructive point of view.

Or it was always part of the plan - it was specifically mentioned in the product launch presentation.

Reactions: Kingram
I just chatted with Customer Support at DJI, via their website. I asked him about the precision landing, and after asking me a number of questions, he finally came back with the following (copy/pasted directly from chat window): “We can now inform you that after carefully considering customers’feedback, we have decided to add the Precision Landing function for the Mavic 2. This feature will be released in a future firmware update. Please stay tuned.”

Reactions: Elton Hammonds
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kenjiekun