DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro-2 vs Zoom and P4P - Line Skipping + Sensor Heat?

Of course they could come out with a P5. Issue here is that it would not make any market sense. It would have to be a lot better than the P4P and consequently a lot more expensive. Too close to the commercial drones and not attractive to the regular “droner”.

I don't know bro, people keep underestimating what we'll spend on drones. Mavic Pro came out and $1000 was way too much money. The Crystalsky came out and even I didn't think people would spend $1000 on a monitor for a $1000 drone. I was wrong! Mavic 2 comes out and $1500 is too much money, yet people bought them. I'm guessing $2000 for the P5P and I'm certain people will buy them too because they'll do something the M2P won't. Watch. I know "regular" droners with Inspires and those START at $3000. Heck, several years ago, me and a buddy built a drone. Final cost? Almost $5000! Do you know what guys spend on RC planes and cars? Heck, there are Traxxis cars that cost about as much as a M2P! They don't fly or shoot video. Hobbies are expected to be expensive! What I spend on my motorcycle and motorcycle gear alone would buy a P5P a couple times a year. I have $3000 I rim and tires on my car another $4000 in stereo equipment Do not underestimate our foolishness with money!

The new Yuneec Typhoon H Plus costs $1900! When my 3DR Solo first came out, you were dropping just about $2000 to join the party. The new iPhone is $1500. The latest Jordan's are $200 a pair, if you can find them, with some going for close to $400.

Reactions: star4870
Installed the update but torrential rain here... a no fly day for sure!

I'd be curious to know if this update (aircraft stability) is mostly related to the slight rash of M2s shutting down mid-air.
Who knows- I was wondering how it could be more stable when I read the release notes.

Lets hope!!! It struck me as odd also.

Maybe they changed the FOV processing scheme on the sly?

I think that is likely a hardware limitation - probably the same heating problems that limit 4k recording on the RX100. I doubt there will ever be a firmware fix.

I doubt we will see a sensor readout change in FOV any time soon. "If" it's possible for DJI to do a full pixel readout, I don't think we will see it until the Phantom 5 comes out. The only other pressure DJI would feel is if Autel was able to do it on a new 1Inch-type EVO camera. "If" Autel can pull that off with their Ambarella H2 processor and keep that sensor cool, than DJI would be under "real" pressure to do the same. Right now, there is no reason for DJI to do this on the Mavic-2 Pro. There is literally nothing else on the market to threaten the Mavic-2 Pro today... even with it's current sensor read configuration issues.

I don't know bro, people keep underestimating what we'll spend on drones. Mavic Pro came out and $1000 was way too much money. The Crystalsky came out and even I didn't think people would spend $1000 on a monitor for a $1000 drone. I was wrong! Mavic 2 comes out and $1500 is too much money, yet people bought them. I'm guessing $2000 for the P5P and I'm certain people will buy them too because they'll do something the M2P won't. Watch. I know "regular" droners with Inspires and those START at $3000. Heck, several years ago, me and a buddy built a drone. Final cost? Almost $5000! Do you know what guys spend on RC planes and cars? Heck, there are Traxxis cars that cost about as much as a M2P! They don't fly or shoot video. Hobbies are expected to be expensive! What I spend on my motorcycle and motorcycle gear alone would buy a P5P a couple times a year. I have $3000 I rim and tires on my car another $4000 in stereo equipment Do not underestimate our foolishness with money!

The new Yuneec Typhoon H Plus costs $1900! When my 3DR Solo first came out, you were dropping just about $2000 to join the party. The new iPhone is $1500. The latest Jordan's are $200 a pair, if you can find them, with some going for close to $400.

I agree wholeheartedly. Too expensive is a relative term. My first RC helicopter was a Trex 450 which had to be built from parts at a cost of $2000, without batteries or controller. It had no camera, no stabilization, no GPS, no obstacle avoidance. First flight lasted 10 seconds. My second RC helicopter was a Trex 600 costing almost $3000 again without batteries etc.

By comparison, the MP 2 pro is cheap in every respect. Hell my vintage 2009 video camera cost the same and it only did crappy quality 1080p and it didn’t fly lol...

Last edited:
I think that is likely a hardware limitation - probably the same heating problems that limit 4k recording on the RX100. I doubt there will ever be a firmware fix.

Me either. I know a lot of people think DJI did this to be evil but I don't know. If they could give this drone the capabilities of the P4P for video and an improved photo experience. This would have been the drone to have for years, period. I'm not convinced that they would pass up that opportunity just so they could sell a few more P4Ps before the P5P comes out.

Agreed. It seems there is a good chance DJI is stuck with a limitation in the sensor readout modes more than it being a simple case of them tweaking a processing routine.

I doubt we will see a sensor readout change in FOV any time soon. "If" it's possible for DJI to do a full pixel readout, I don't think we will see it until the Phantom 5 comes out. The only other pressure DJI would feel is if Autel was able to do it on a new 1Inch-type EVO camera. "If" Autel can pull that off with their Ambarella H2 processor and keep that sensor cool, than DJI would be under "real" pressure to do the same. Right now, there is no reason for DJI to do this on the Mavic-2 Pro. There is literally nothing else on the market to threaten the Mavic-2 Pro today... even with it's current sensor read configuration issues.
Haven't we seen postings on RC groups and elsewhere now where someone has peeled off the heatsink in the M2 to reveal it is sporting the H3 chip? It is very unlikely we are dealing with a heat issue. What autel manages to pull off will be very interesting.

We've known for a while now that the M2P uses the Ambarella H3 unless there is another processor in the M2P with a giant "H3" logo written on it:

84Hp7E3.jpg

There are many factors that contribute to heat, not just the processor.

We've known for a while now that the M2P uses the Ambarella H3 unless there is another processor in the M2P with a giant "H3" logo written on it:

84Hp7E3.jpg

There are many factors that contribute to heat, not just the processor.

Now I am starting a conspiracy theory: just wait and see!!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boatdoc