DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic pro anti-drop hook broken & propeller flicker

zhaoyuac09

Reactions
Hi all, I’ve recently got a Mavic pro and had a small crash, which broke the anti drop hook on the vibration absorbing board. After some test(even in full speed in sport mode), I don’t found anything wrong but one thing: the propeller flicker. This sounds normal if you fly into the bright light directions. However, my flicker is a whole black bar on top of the frame, not some blades shade on the sides. I attached a pic here for you to see. So could anyone tell me is this normal flicker or is it caused by the loss of the anti drop hook? Thank you guys!

Attachments

• A2D4A0C5-2132-4B61-AA28-54DC569E484F.png
    A2D4A0C5-2132-4B61-AA28-54DC569E484F.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 54
Reactions: Former Member
So could anyone tell me is this normal flicker or is it caused by the loss of the anti drop hook?

It could be from the hook because having no hook will allow the gimbal to overextend upwards. You will need to drop the gimbal out and remove the 3 gimbal PCB screws to take out the 2 screws holding in the hook.

It could be from the hook because having no hook will allow the gimbal to overextend upwards. You will need to drop the gimbal out and remove the 3 gimbal PCB screws to take out the 2 screws holding in the hook.
Thank you Thunderdones! I also did other test: fly opposite to the sun, then no such flicker. So I’m not sure whether other normal Mavic pro will also get such black bars... but I’m not sure whether I can do the replacement my self. And I don’t want to use the care refresh neither just for that. Probably I’ll leave it like this now, since it seems the hook is not that useful.

Reactions: Former Member
Thank you Thunderdones! I also did other test: fly opposite to the sun, then no such flicker. So I’m not sure whether other normal Mavic pro will also get such black bars... but I’m not sure whether I can do the replacement my self. And I don’t want to use the care refresh neither just for that. Probably I’ll leave it like this now, since it seems the hook is not that useful.
it seems the hook is not that useful.

If you eventually get a gimbal error message, thats what is causing it.

Also, the slower you fly, and gentler you turn and accelerate, the less props you will see without the hook.

Thank you Mossiback for the reply and advice! That did help a lot! However, have you ever had a similar black bar with a Mavic pro not breaking the hook?
I fly with a lens hood on so if I look up or stop/turn too quickly I will see it as a black bar.

I fly with a lens hood on so if I look up or stop/turn too quickly I will see it as a black bar.
Oh I see. Thank you for the info. Anyway, for safety issue, I think I will just send it in for a check. I have to eat the bullet for a refresh I guess.

Oh I see. Thank you for the info. Anyway, for safety issue, I think I will just send it in for a check. I have to eat the bullet for a refresh I guess.
It sounds like a fairly minor repair. You might want to look over a few YouTube videos and see if you can fix it yourself.

It sounds like a fairly minor repair. You might want to look over a few YouTube videos and see if you can fix it yourself.
I agree! But If I failed, I might just void the warranty and the refresh I guess. Since I just got it within 2 weeks, let's see how's the service of DJI then...

I am not the expert (Thunderdrones?), but since you will not be opening the case and just replacing the hook, I don't know how DJI would even know that you did anything.

My MP got really crunched and I sent it in for replacement (not repair). They shipped the replacement on the same day they received my wreck without any questions and I was in the air 10 days later.

I am not the expert (Thunderdrones?), but since you will not be opening the case and just replacing the hook, I don't know how DJI would even know that you did anything.

My MP got really crunched and I sent it in for replacement (not repair). They shipped the replacement on the same day they received my wreck without any questions and I was in the air 10 days later.
That sounds really nice! Replacing the hook needs the case to be opened though. I also got some scratched the gimbal and that caused the camera to be too hot. I fixed that my self. Might let them further check it this time.

Hello all again, I finally replaced the hook myself. And everything works normally. But still, when I was flying top speed under sport mode point the camera fully horizontally, the black bar flicker on top (see #1) still showed up occasionally, especially heading into sun. So I guess the this is normal phenomena, do you think it's right? Probably I just have to point the camera down a bit to overcome that flicker.

...when I was flying top speed under sport mode point the camera fully horizontally, the black bar flicker on top (see #1) still showed up occasionally, especially heading into sun. So I guess the this is normal phenomena, do you think it's right? Probably I just have to point the camera down a bit to overcome that flicker.
Perfectly normal in sport mode. If you watch it fly by you will see how far the craft is tilted forward. Just point the camera downward a bit to fix the dark bar problem. As for a "flicker", this is probably the prop shadow that may take more downward angle or sun shade to eliminate (or change the angle to the sun).

I would also suggest instead of flying in sport mode that you turn off the forward sensors instead. You will fly almost as fast as sport mode but will not have the overly sensitive sticks that you do in sport mode. I have also read that it is more energy efficient this way.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="zhaoyuac09, post: 497350, member: 64841"...when I was flying top speed under sport mode point the camera fully horizontally, the black bar flicker on top (see #1) still showed up occasionally, especially heading into sun. So I guess the this is normal phenomena, do you think it's right? Probably I just have to point the camera down a bit to overcome that flicker.
Perfectly normal in sport mode. If you watch it fly by you will see how far the craft is tilted forward. Just point the camera downward a bit to fix the problem.

I would also suggest instead of flying in sport mode that you turn off the forward sensors instead. You will fly almost as fast as sport mode but will not have the overly sensitive sticks that you do in sport mode. I have also read that it is more energy efficient this way.[/QUOTE]
That is a great advice!! Thank you. And do you think it is functionally normal with that black bar flicker?

That is a great advice!! Thank you. And do you think it is functionally normal with that black bar flicker?
I am not sure what you mean by flicker. If there are several flickering black bars, normally on one side of the screen, then that is the prop shadow that can be cured by changing angle to the sun, angling the camera further downward, or getting a sun shade. If it is a solid bar across the top then that is the Mavic nose getting in the shot cured by slowing down or angling the camera further downward.

Perfectly normal in sport mode. If you watch it fly by you will see how far the craft is tilted forward. Just point the camera downward a bit to fix the problem.

I would also suggest instead of flying in sport mode that you turn off the forward sensors instead. You will fly almost as fast as sport mode but will not have the overly sensitive sticks that you do in sport mode. I have also read that it is more energy efficient this way.
That is a great advice!! Thank you. And do you think it is functionally normal with that black bar flicker?[/QUOTE]

Oh I see! Thank you so much for this info! Someone has told me that is not normal. I haven't seen how far it tilted in sport mode as it was really high in the sky. I totally agree it is normal as I didn't get any gimbal or camera related errors out of it so far.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philip Chura