DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic pro batteries

No. You should dispose of them as it could be dangerous if you attempt to charge them.

I always throw mine in a bucket of saltwater for a day or 2 before I trash them.
What does salt water do??? I always throw mine in the recycle bin at Home Depot, along with dead 18650s AA's AAA's, etc... definitely not the trash.

The salt water breaks them down and ensures no residual power left. This renders them inert and no longer a fire risk. Not sure on the environmental aspect of disposal in normal trash after this.
There is anecdotal reports of increased lithium getting into our environment due to so many lithium batteries being dumped in normal trash. Generally not from our batteries but the millions of smaller ones in so many devices and toys these days

Hopefully battery recycling happens worldwide to some extent, even if just the hazardous types of products that have reached end of life.
Across Australia there are many various recycling depots that accept all sorts of materials, hopefully some parts of the lipo batteries can be used again.

batteries for a Mavic pro

Ok, this forum has had threads about the extended life batteries, if you can't find OEM anywhere, or the standard PowerExtra aftermarket brand.
The larger batteries I've read briefly about seem to be reliable, so at least you should be able to keep the old bird airborne.

Reactions: mereflyer
The salt water breaks them down and ensures no residual power left. This renders them inert and no longer a fire risk.
The above quote just doesn't sound quite right to me. There are only two ways saltwater could render a lithium ion battery 'inert'.
1- A chemical reaction by the saltwater somehow penetrating the plastic envelope the batteries are inside of. Taking the case of a DJI battery pack apart and cutting the plastic is very dangerous... could lead to dangerous gases escaping or potentially even an explosion.
2- The saltwater discharges the cells by creating a dead short between positive and negative contacts, and the problem with this is electrolysis, which quickly corrodes and eats away the metal contacts. I use an electrolysis tank to clean the rust and gunk off of old cast iron cookware.

And neither of these renders the battery safe to toss in the trash. Time for me to do a search on the great googley and see what I can find.

Last edited:
No. You should dispose of them as it could be dangerous if you attempt to charge them.
Thank u.
I didn’t know that about charging. I was gonna try to keep for batteries to charge the phones but sounds like that’s not safe…
Thank u again u may have prevented a tragedy!

The ole Mav has been tough as nails so I gotta keep here airworthy..
IMO, my ole MPP is one of the last greatest drones DJI has ever made...

Wouldn't trade it for a gen 3 Fly app compatible drone for love nor money

Reactions: JohnnyD913
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seaphotos