DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Battery Mod

@Ed209, so per our discussion. I got two lipo 3.0's today from Hong Kong! Also a decent charger from SkyRC.

I have my clip and dual lock coming.

Can you (or anyone) give me the best orientation for side mounting these little guys?

Btw I'm shock how small these batteries are in real life. I guess I imagined a big ol brick.

I wish I could help you out but I did the direct mod before using the MS 3000s. Maybe some of the other guys who have/had the clip can advise you.

You got the D100 charger right? I love mine!

@Ed209, so per our discussion. I got two lipo 3.0's today from Hong Kong! Also a decent charger from SkyRC.

Can you (or anyone) give me the best orientation for side mounting these little guys?

Btw I'm shock how small these batteries are in real life. I guess I imagined a big ol brick.

Most of us simply side mount the 3000s. You can find pictures of both mine and digdat0's setups.

I guess I figure they fit better with the wires at the back and over to the top.

The batteries sit a little forward for my liking.

I bought the BattWings from @cruzroy.

Maybe that will help.

Just watch the clearance on the props. The rear props sit lower so make sure you spin them by hand to check. Also, leave enough gap for flex too :)

Reactions: TheLightSpeed!

I just got done with mine. I did the direct solder thing and decided to go through the arms..the lid was a little tight to get on because of the big azz globs of solder...I definitely agree with Ed209 to watch the props they really don't give much room...I'll even bet some birds went down because of props hitting wires...Good luck Man!

Attachments

• IMG_5104.JPG
    IMG_5104.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 74
  • IMG_5105.JPG
    IMG_5105.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 78
  • IMG_5108.JPG
    IMG_5108.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 74
Reactions: TheLightSpeed!
For what it's worth Hobby King has Lihv 3.0 batteries in stock again. 4.0's are still on back order.

I went ahead and got a handful of the lihv to try out

Reactions: chazz
I just got done with mine. I did the direct solder thing and decided to go through the arms..the lid was a little tight to get on because of the big azz globs of solder...I definitely agree with Ed209 to watch the props they really don't give much room...I'll even bet some birds went down because of props hitting wires...Good luck Man!

I bought some leads and will probably just do a direct mod.

May I ask- does your legs still fold with them like that?

Did you add solder? Looks like you just melted the leads into the existing solder?

who printed them for you?
I went to 3dhubs.com to get mine printed (abs plastic, 100% fill). However, I just ordered 2x 3000mah LIHV from HK as well and I don't think the 3000's will fit with the batt_wings. As @Ed209 stated it puts the batteries close to the props! I also had the top mount holder (from cruzroy) printed and I will use that carry the 3000's.

These are 1300mah (73mmx35mmx24mm). I pushed them forward a bit more and they worked fine with the batt_wings.

IMG_20170729_153801.jpg
IMG_20170729_153736.jpg

The MS 3000 LIVH is (107mmx36mmx25mm). I will use the top mount for these.
I painted on some more abs plastic onto the sides of the mount (see pic below).
The printer said it would make them 3x stronger (it did)!

IMG_20170814_2353251.jpg
IMG_20170815_0005161.jpg

I went to 3dhubs.com to get mine printed (abs plastic, 100% fill). However, I just ordered 2x 3000mah LIHV from HK as well and I don't think the 3000's will fit with the batt_wings. As @Ed209 stated it puts the batteries close to the props! I also had the top mount holder (from cruzroy) printed and I will use that carry the 3000's.

These are 1300mah (73mmx35mmx24mm). I pushed them forward a bit more and they worked fine with the batt_wings.

View attachment 19826
View attachment 19827

The MS 3000 LIVH is (107mmx36mmx25mm). I will use the top mount for these.
I painted on some more abs plastic onto the sides of the mount (see pic below).
The printer said it would make them 3x stronger (it did)!

View attachment 19824
View attachment 19828

Do you have the file for the top mounted one?

Wow, Looks Great! Nice and Clean!

Reactions: chazz
I found the file. Thank you! Top mount seems like a good option
The 3000's will not fit the top mount side by side, you have to re-design the tray above to make it wider. In the latter case you gotta be careful cause the prop clearance with the rear blades is none if they flex upwards.

Woah there! You need to recharge those external batteries before every flight. If you don't, there will be a discrepancy between Mavic battery and the external battery which will cause unwanted current toward the external battery, effectively charging the external battery at an uncontrolled rate. This is a bit dangerous.

If you want to match the Mavic battery properly, you should use LiHV rather than Lipo. The Mavic battery is LiHV with has a higher fully charged voltage at 4.35V per cell as compared to 4.2V for lipo. Additionally the LiHV have higher power density, so you can save weight.

IMG_2301.jpg
Is this battery a good match with the Mavic OEM battery. .?

I bought some leads and will probably just do a direct mod.

May I ask- does your legs still fold with them like that?

Did you add solder? Looks like you just melted the leads into the existing solder?

The legs are tight to fold back and don't go all the way..the dual lock on the sides stops the back from folding up..Unfortunately I would say ill never fold the thing up again...Very little solder,,, I tinned the end of the wire and then smoosh. Its a very tight space.

The legs are tight to fold back and don't go all the way..the dual lock on the sides stops the back from folding up..Unfortunately I would say ill never fold the thing up again...Very little solder,,, I tinned the end of the wire and then smoosh. Its a very tight space.
You need a good hot soldering gun to do the job right.

If you plan to use a wider top tray (58mm space) i d advice to do this (shorten rear end):
20170815_121140.jpg
Double 3000 fits nice n tight.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dochavez1986