DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Battery Mod

What batteries did you use on this particular run? I am using 3000mah lihvs, I have to get to about 400ft altitude for clearance but I only have what appears to be enough battery for about 80k feet.

Two LRP4600
561g

367f52cf34ffe4dd9e497fde1ff709b9.jpg

42abea7262ee0399cbbe61930497e744.jpg

Ok question for you. We will be doing drone search and rescue in June, and Im building a drone for max loitering time ocver an incident, probably only cruising at 4-5mph max. My goal is to extend flight time of the Mavic Pro. Is the last example given the longest duration currently available? Ive been thinking of bypassing the Mavic battery altogether, and just hardwiring a huge 3s.

@TexasFlytography what do you think?
Looks like @SkyNinja has figured it all out for us.

Reactions: Former Member
How do the 4100’s do? I am currently using 3.0 Multistars, they are great but those Proteks are so lightweight!!

I don’t have the 4100 only the Protek 3600s. I think I was one of the first people to start flying with high C rated batteries and to be honest I do not believe a high C rating battery make any significant difference when it comes to the Mavic.

I don’t have the 4100 only the Protek 3600s. I think I was one of the first people to start flying with high C rated batteries and to be honest I do not believe a high C rating battery make any significant difference when it comes to the Mavic.
Fantastic, I have been waiting to pull the trigger until I could get clarification. Thanks!!

e48d86d814ca80b323d330274a574575.jpg

This is how I connected it.
I think you are right that it creates one big battery. I just did another test where I only had the LiPo batteries on and the mavics battery off this turned the drone on but the mavics battery did not show any signs of charging. The reason why I thought it charged the mavics battery was because I thought that the battery was charging when only the LiPo's were on, I saw wrong, my apologies. Another thing to note is that as expected the mavic will not connect to the controller unless the smart battery is turned on so when that is low the drone must land. This is probably the reason why the LiPo's can last three flights, due to the fact that the smart battery dies first.
Hi.
Can you measure the voltages (stock battery and external)after 2 or 3 minutes of rest at least after flight and post the values please? If u have a good quality meter only. ?
I am curious if the same amount of current is drawn from both. While in theory should, in my case was not true. Always the externa has had more juice left. Maybe I had high resistance on the external but I don't know how to measure this.

Cheers

Nice flight, you may want to post it in the Mavic 2 leader board thread

I've never used 18650 cells.

It's possible to force the front compass to be the default via parameters or simply sticking a piece of metal on the rear shell.
What are the parameters to change to use the front compass?

What are the parameters to change to use the front compass?
I can't remember, but you can adjust parameters while connected with the app and you'll see the compass change on the calibration page in real time as you flip parameters. Search for 'mag' in the list and start flipping them.

Reactions: Texas Mavic
I've been flying the Phantoms, 2 ,3 for years now with the battery mod and the antenna modification and trust me you will either crash or burn out the board before you burned out the motors,
Now I have the same mod on the Mavic pro and I'm getting also 6-7 mins.
longer flying time, anyone familiar with flying quads for quite some time understands that 7 minutes is a very huge accomplishment...

I must agree with jkantiques wholeheartedly. Seven minutes of flight time is great. If, you are into distance flying(with RF amps and high gain antennas), it(the dual battery mod) cuts down the problem of running out of battery before your modified controller runs out of range. In practical terms, in sport mode, flying at 30 mph for seven minutes your drone could travel an additional three and a half miles. Three and a half miles of flight time could be the difference between a safe landing and a hunt for a crashed drone.

Distance = (Rate)(Time)

The equation that relates distance, rate, and time is

d = rt

Where d is the distance traveled, r is the rate, and t is the time.

Reactions: Filipok
First post so be kind :)

So I have read and re-read this thread and I need a bit of advice.
I currently have the batt clip (UAV Mods) and a 3s lipo charger. This is the only mods my Mavic has apart from DJI assistant mods. So for testing I bought a single 2200mah Flureon battery from Amazon and to be honest the flight times are garbage, I think in all there is a 5 - 7% improvement.

What I am looking to do is fly roughly 30,000 or loiter about for a while taking photos and videos. What would be the best setup for this ?

I can not buy Proteks etc, so looking for something that can use the equipment I have already

Thanks

I must agree with jkantiques wholeheartedly. Seven minutes of flight time is great. If, you are into distance flying(with RF amps and high gain antennas), it(the dual battery mod) cuts down the problem of running out of battery before your modified controller runs out of range. In practical terms, in sport mode, flying at 30 mph for seven minutes your drone could travel an additional three and a half miles. Three and a half miles of flight time could be the difference between a safe landing and a hunt for a crashed drone.

Distance = (Rate)(Time)

The equation that relates distance, rate, and time is

d = rt

Where d is the distance traveled, r is the rate, and t is the time.

In my experience the optimum airspeed for max range for a Mavic Pro with double battery config was about 24 mph. This represents the airspeed for minimum battery power consumption. This means that if you are flying into, say a 4 mph headwind you need to reduce the groundspeed to 20 mph, and if you are flying with the wind you need to fly at 28 mph groundspeed to maintain optimum airspeed. This applies to a total weight of 950g. For a bigger battery the optimum airspeed is higher, so it depends what weight you are carrying. With a double battery at these speeds I was getting around 25-35 mins flight time and a range of 9.5 -10 Km, depending on wind conditions. Higher airspeed gave greater range, but less duration, but around 25 mph was a nice compromise.

In my experience the optimum airspeed for max range for a Mavic Pro with double battery config was about 24 mph. This represents the airspeed for minimum battery power consumption. This means that if you are flying into, say a 4 mph headwind you need to reduce the groundspeed to 20 mph, and if you are flying with the wind you need to fly at 28 mph groundspeed to maintain optimum airspeed. This applies to a total weight of 950g. For a bigger battery the optimum airspeed is higher, so it depends what weight you are carrying. With a double battery at these speeds I was getting around 25-35 mins flight time and a range of 9.5 -10 Km, depending on wind conditions. Higher airspeed gave greater range, but less duration, but around 25 mph was a nice compromise.

Thank you for posting the results of your testing for the optimum airspeed for flight duration. I must admit when I'm at the fringe of battery reserve I tend to RTH as quickly as possible.

Thank you for posting the results of your testing for the optimum airspeed for flight duration. I must admit when I'm at the fringe of battery reserve I tend to RTH as quickly as possible.
First post so be kind :)

So I have read and re-read this thread and I need a bit of advice.
I currently have the batt clip (UAV Mods) and a 3s lipo charger. This is the only mods my Mavic has apart from DJI assistant mods. So for testing I bought a single 2200mah Flureon battery from Amazon and to be honest the flight times are garbage, I think in all there is a 5 - 7% improvement.

What I am looking to do is fly roughly 30,000 or loiter about for a while taking photos and videos. What would be the best setup for this ?

I can not buy Proteks etc, so looking for something that can use the equipment I have already

Thanks

I use 2 x 3000mah Giant Power Lipo’s and have managed to get out over 41000ft and land with 13%power
The batteries are relatively cheap on eBay , and are very good quality /discharge rate is excellent.
I fly at 33mph .
2x 1800mah - 33000ft out
2x 2200mah - 36000ft out
2x 3000mah - 41126ft out . Same weight as 2200mah batteries

Very little wind , and always flying into the wind

Attachments

• 2C794658-0C5B-4FEE-B9F4-D53996A90171.jpeg
    2C794658-0C5B-4FEE-B9F4-D53996A90171.jpeg
    167.3 KB · Views: 88
  • F67345F7-85FE-4F9C-9F93-2165090D0CDE.jpeg
    F67345F7-85FE-4F9C-9F93-2165090D0CDE.jpeg
    984.2 KB · Views: 96
  • 8EABE6F5-786F-4FEE-910B-57BA3298E96E.jpeg
    8EABE6F5-786F-4FEE-910B-57BA3298E96E.jpeg
    733.2 KB · Views: 93
Yes, that is always the temptation, but not always the best idea! Normally you are with the wind coming home so you need higher groundspeed (which is what you see in the app) for max endurance

I was thinking about this battery.. Anyone tried it? I was planning on using it as a single battery in addition to the stock.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78