DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Battery Mod

hi guys

I have not read all the pages, but would like to know if anyone has done an external battery mod on the MP2?
This would need 4s LIHV correct?

Thanks

Yes

9da0c944a9bacd6510fc0d9b858a3b39.jpg

another battery emerges...

Hyperion just came out with a G8 series LIHV battery
G8 3S 5200mAh Si-Graphene Lightweight LiPo 30C (4.35 / 4.2V)
hyperion G8 5200mah 3S LIHV
i noticed their salesperson in a thread on another forum discussing how horrible lipo batteries are, so i ordered one.

i'm finding that it is low resistance like the proteks and it discharges similarly. it is advertised 330 grams and comes with a detachable balance lead (5 grams) ... and 10awg charge leads.
i switched to side mounted battery with xt30 connectors :p and can confirm it is long enough to double as a sun shade if side mounted.

rather than try to solder 10 gauge to xt30, i switched to 16awg charge leads and this thing is now at 320 grams without even removing the wrapper (softpack). it has one of those tough nylon or plastic belts wrapped around it for protection that i'd love to remove.
i'm still breaking it in, but flight time so far seems very promising.

another battery emerges...

Hyperion just came out with a G8 series LIHV battery
G8 3S 5200mAh Si-Graphene Lightweight LiPo 30C (4.35 / 4.2V)
hyperion G8 5200mah 3S LIHV
i noticed their salesperson in a thread on another forum discussing how horrible lipo batteries are, so i ordered one.

i'm finding that it is low resistance like the proteks and it discharges similarly. it is advertised 330 grams and comes with a detachable balance lead (5 grams) ... and 10awg charge leads.
i switched to side mounted battery with xt30 connectors [emoji14] and can confirm it is long enough to double as a sun shade if side mounted.

rather than try to solder 10 gauge to xt30, i switched to 16awg charge leads and this thing is now at 320 grams without even removing the wrapper (softpack). it has one of those tough nylon or plastic belts wrapped around it for protection that i'd love to remove.
i'm still breaking it in, but flight time so far seems very promising.
224Wh/kg is very good for a high C battery. Would like to see a voltage graph on a typical long range flight

*i edited this because i found the DJI battery i was using is the problem. it is simply not performing as well as my other DJi batteries, so i did another flight with the protek and confirmed the hyperion battery is actually giving a few more minutes.

224Wh/kg is very good for a high C battery. Would like to see a voltage graph on a typical long range flight
ok see below

although this battery by itself is a terrific performer, i had hoped for a little bit more out of it.
i charged it from 3.5v/cell to 4.35v/cell and it took 4900mah+. voltage per cell was within 0.02v of the dji battery (per the dji go app with the aircraft cooling fan on), so no issues there.
here are the airdata cell graphs. all of these are with the sunhans 3w amp on the aircraft.

here's the first actual flight test landing at 10% after 31 minutes 24 seconds

i thought maybe the mavic 2 propellers might have hurt the performance, so i did it again with mavic platinum props
heres the 2nd flight test landing at 12% after 31 minutes 10 seconds

here's a comparison on the same DJI battery as the previous flight tests using a protek 4100mah
FORCED landing 10% 28 minutes 51 seconds

with any other dji battery than the one i used for this testing.. here is a typical flight for me using the protek 4100mah battery with the sunhans amp (and mavic 2 props)
landing at 15% after 31 minutes 31 seconds - but that is with a lot of climbing and 2.5minutes flying into the wind in sport mode.

i'm not 100% sold on the longevity of the proteks, so i'm still looking for other options.

my thoughts (i probably am not understanding much of what i'm about to get into, so please correct me where i'm wrong)
protek is advertised as 120c burst, but comes with 12awg leads which seem like they couldn't handle it. on the other hand, the hyperion G8 advertises 60c burst and comes with 10awg leads which seems more in line with the 30c discharge / 60c burst. furthermore, that hyperion advertises the actual discharge rating of 30c whereas protek does not mention the normal discharge rating is a concern.
protek makes no claims as to how many cycles they'll survive while hyperion while claims 90+% mAh capacity retention @300~500+ cycles.
lastly, putting money where their mouth is... the warranty - protek 90 days vs hyperion's one year.

Protek's warranty has the exclusion listed on the protek " Warranty will not cover items that have been modified." i'm glad hyperion's doesn't have that because i'm going to try to strip down this hyperion G8 as far as i can.

Last edited:
So what is the cost of that extra 7 minute mod?
i'm adding 13 minutes for $60-$70.
with all the hills and wind, i used to need 2-3 20 minute flights to line up and take certain shots and now i do it in one 33 minute one.
i can't even remember the last time i brought my mavic pro back in for a battery change... and if i was cool with battery changes, i'd probably just get a mavic air.

i'm adding 13 minutes for $60-$70.
with all the hills and wind, i used to need 2-3 20 minute flights to line up and take certain shots and now i do it in one 33 minute one.
i can't even remember the last time i brought my mavic pro back in for a battery change... and if i was cool with battery changes, i'd probably just get a mavic air.

You can add photos of how you placed the batteries .. Let me understand with which battery of the two at the Graphene you are better.

You can add photos of how you placed the batteries .. Let me understand with which battery of the two at the Graphene you are better.
there's a crapton of pictures in this thread. i copied lolo780's xt30 setup

i'm thinking the hyperion g8 is better so far. i think i'd probably go for the 4400mah G8 3S if i had to do it over again. the 5200mah might be just a little too heavy for a single battery for me.
i did a test today draining the protek 4100 and the hyperion g8 5200 down to 3.51v/cell (11%) and then charging them up to 4.35/cell (100%). i did this twice.
the protek only took 3290mah (80% of advertised 4100mah) whereas the hyperion g8 took 4890mah (94% of advertised 5200mah) as measured by an ISDT Q6 Pro charger.

so the protek 4100mah is more like a 3700mah and the hyperion g8 5200 is more like a 5500mah.

Reactions: fabrizio1
there's a crapton of pictures in this thread. i copied lolo780's xt30 setup

i'm thinking the hyperion g8 is better so far. i think i'd probably go for the 4400mah G8 3S if i had to do it over again. the 5200mah might be just a little too heavy for a single battery for me.
i did a test today draining the protek 4100 and the hyperion g8 5200 down to 3.51v/cell (11%) and then charging them up to 4.35/cell (100%). i did this twice.
the protek only took 3290mah (80% of advertised 4100mah) whereas the hyperion g8 took 4890mah (94% of advertised 5200mah) as measured by an ISDT Q6 Pro charger.

so the protek 4100mah is more like a 3700mah and the hyperion g8 5200 is more like a 5500mah.

i just tested a G8 3S 3650mah G8 3S 3650mAh Si-Graphene Lightweight LiPo 30C (4.35 / 4.2V)
charging it from 3.50v to 4.35v and it took 3460mah
the 3650mah G8 has more actual usable mah than the protek 4100mah !
fighting weight is 230g (removed the 5g hard plastic protective band)

*editing this to add that the G8 3S 3650mah seems to have higher internal resistance and actually does not seem to add any flight time over the protek 4100mah as a result. that extra mah stays in the battery.
** editing this again... i switched from 16awg back to 12awg soldered to xt30 coming out of the mavic and it seemed to help internal resistance enough. the g8 3650mah 3s pack cells were like .03v higher than i wanted at the end of a flight.. now they're right where i want them. possible the 16awg wires were too long or maybe a bad joint.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54